Home

ESPN Tackles

This is a discussion on ESPN Tackles within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2003, 03:07 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
ESPN Tackles

This is my only upset with this game. The tackles in ESPN are too too soft compared to 2k3. To me the hard hitting tackles are what made 2k3 great and addicting to play. ESPN is not quite right without the bone crushing tackles and kills the fun in playing defense now. If you watch the ESPN opening movie there are big hits but there are none in the game and this is a huge let down coming from a 2k fan since since the begining. ESPN 2K5 had better bring back the hard hits because the game isn't the addicting intense battle it use to be anymore without this critical part. I'm sure there are people who agree with me that the tackles(hits) are to soft and unexciting.

ESPN isn't COMPLETE without the HARD HITS the series is accustom to so I just hope(demand) the hits to be brought back for 2k5 cuz 2k4 is a letdown in the tackle department. Everything else is great though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2003, 03:22 PM   #2
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: ESPN Tackles

I've seen quite a few hard hits, but if you honestly try to look at every tackle in an average NFL game, you'll only see a handful of "big licks"...the ratio of big-hits-to-solid-takedowns is largely in favor of the solid takedown. That's why coaches stress fundamental wrap-and-tackle defense, not highlight reel clock cleaners. I see 3 or 4 that are pretty good shots in each ESPN game, so I accept that...especially full speed shots on a QB, or a receiver coming across the middle. Players nowadays are very good at spinning off of contact, lessening the blow they receive. I think that's simulated in the game well. I don't want something where it looks like every one of my players is in a 'roid-induced rage, slamming people around like the offense has no idea how to protect itself.

Also keep in mind that the league is cracking down on the "violence" depicted in its video games. Every game had to cut back on anything that had to do with helmet-to-helmet hits, cheap shots, etc. I doubt 2K5 will satisfy you either, so don't even begin to get your hopes up.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:24 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:

TCrouch said:
I've seen quite a few hard hits, but if you honestly try to look at every tackle in an average NFL game, you'll only see a handful of "big licks"...the ratio of big-hits-to-solid-takedowns is largely in favor of the solid takedown. That's why coaches stress fundamental wrap-and-tackle defense, not highlight reel clock cleaners. I see 3 or 4 that are pretty good shots in each ESPN game, so I accept that...especially full speed shots on a QB, or a receiver coming across the middle. Players nowadays are very good at spinning off of contact, lessening the blow they receive. I think that's simulated in the game well. I don't want something where it looks like every one of my players is in a 'roid-induced rage, slamming people around like the offense has no idea how to protect itself.

Also keep in mind that the league is cracking down on the "violence" depicted in its video games. Every game had to cut back on anything that had to do with helmet-to-helmet hits, cheap shots, etc. I doubt 2K5 will satisfy you either, so don't even begin to get your hopes up.

couldn't say it better myseld
Old 09-05-2003, 03:24 PM   #4
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

CLASSIFIED said:
This is my only upset with this game. The tackles in ESPN are too too soft compared to 2k3. To me the hard hitting tackles are what made 2k3 great and addicting to play. ESPN is not quite right without the bone crushing tackles and kills the fun in playing defense now. If you watch the ESPN opening movie there are big hits but there are none in the game and this is a huge let down coming from a 2k fan since since the begining. ESPN 2K5 had better bring back the hard hits because the game isn't the addicting intense battle it use to be anymore without this critical part. I'm sure there are people who agree with me that the tackles(hits) are to soft and unexciting.

ESPN isn't COMPLETE without the HARD HITS the series is accustom to so I just hope(demand) the hits to be brought back for 2k5 cuz 2k4 is a letdown in the tackle department. Everything else is great though.

Trust me...if you hang a receiver out to dry on a route and the safety is closing....BIG collision.

rod woodson nearly knocked my guy OUT last night.

I watched it over and over.

It's just that those big hits come at more appropriate times IMO, based on more realistic collisions.

But I agree...they are fun to see.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »