Home

Does anyone else feel "the charge" is arcadey and unrealistic?

This is a discussion on Does anyone else feel "the charge" is arcadey and unrealistic? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2003, 04:24 PM   #9
P*ng

OVR: 10
Re: Does anyone else feel \"the charge\" is arcadey and unrealistic?

Quote:

dbdynsty25 said:
Ask the defensive back that Jeremy Shockey ran over last year.

amen, my brother LOLOL
Old 09-08-2003, 04:29 PM   #10
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8

I agree that the "Charge" could be perceived to be an arcadic feature, but once the user tries it and understands it's use, then no longer can it be considered arcadic. I too, thought at first the charge could make ESPN too arcadic. But I was proven wrong.

Consider this, most people that play Madden, including myself, are used to the hold "X" button for sprinting. The abiltiy for us to control how fast our players are running adds great dimension to the game. Most people's first instinct is to hold sprint and bullrush the line with whatever back they want. Well, the charge is going to change that. Now you can decide when to sprint and do it with better effectiveness. By holding charge, you run behind your fullback, lineman, tightend, whoever is blocking for you. This also slows you down, but just a tad bit. This is realistic, because in the NFL, the good runningbacks will be looking for their wholes, following their lead blocker, and making decisions. By holding onto the charge button, this allows you to make your decisions (such as: do I juke? Do I spin? Do I bullrush?).

So realistically thinking, the "Charge" feature was the perfect addition to a football game.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:30 PM   #11
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

I agree that it is the extra gear...or a build up to the big hit (see: Romanowski knocking Holcombe on his butt last night)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2003, 04:33 PM   #12
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Klocker2 said:

I agree that it is the extra gear...or a build up to the big hit (see: Romanowski knocking Holcombe on his butt last night)

Romo is a funny yet disturbed man,lol. That's a perfect example. Another LB as strong as Romo could've just ran up to Holcombe and shoved him a bit but Romo CHARGED UP and ran him over.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:11 PM   #13
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:

wwharton said:
what's funny is this is no different than the turbo button that has been used in every basketball game for years. In basketball games you usually even get different moves after turboing.

in real life my major involvement is with basketball so i'll give you a personal experience as my example of "the charge". when i was young and played organized ball, many times if i had a step i'd just go hard and fast right at the hoop. i'm pretty fast so i'd usually score or get fouled doing this meaning defenders usually played off of me, giving me a jump shot rather than deal with that.

now that i'm older and play pick up, driving like this not only drains the hell out of me but getting fouled results in nothing but checking the ball back up AND going in 3rd or 4th gear allows me to juke more, make more head fakes and stay more in control, but a smart defender does a better job of staying in front of me.

All players of all sports have an extra gear that's a bit mroe out of control, a bigger risk/reward. Some are willing to go there more than others and for some it's more effective than others. The charge is simply this extra gear. It's more out of control as you can't cut as well and are more prone to fumbles but has a bigger impact if done well. Not charging allows you to run a bit quicker, make sharper cuts and combine quick special moves back to back, while charging allows for the one big special move or chained move. Hope that makes sense. Don't be confused by the name and flashing circle.

Old 09-08-2003, 05:27 PM   #14
#ITFDB

sbmnky's Arena

OVR: 14

What I really like about the charge is the fact that is works differently for different backs. When I play with the chargers, I don't want to bullrush a LB and try and run him over, so I will try and get to the corner with Tomlinson and then charge up to do a spin move to get free. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't and I don't get but a few yards. Now when I play with Eddie George, he is fast, but he is also BIG so I tend to bullrush and try and knock guys over with his strength. If it's a DB, he runs him over pretty effectively for a good gain.

So I think the charge is a lot of fun and incorporates some stragey to how you run the ball.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:43 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 5

i think it works well in the game, alot better than the previous NFL2k's
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2003, 10:32 PM   #16
Rookie

roadpimp's Arena

OVR: 3

Well alot of things you might see in a football game is unrealistic but the charge is fun to use and makes the running game more enjoyable and thats what its all about

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »