Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy53

Hey I'm only seven years how can I compete, he,he,he well now that was fun and to think after all this time....we're still here and in the news!

He missed some points but thats ok he not aware of who I am and what I can do with the editing and re-creation of players including equipments and a few other neat things.

Maddens gonna be Madden and I give it props hell I own a Madden 12 I like it and all that good stuff,but 2k has more and they're just catching up!

I better be careful tho I'm aware guys are watching me in dressed in black suites and it should be know I've no plans on takin' it easy so to them I say take your best shot I'm not done yet.

Think I'll read some of those post there and see what eles is being said.

The Winner....And Still Heavy Weight Champion
Rickster101
Old 09-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

I have Madden NFL 12 and gameplay wise, there are a few things that I prefer over 2K5. I must admit that I love the auto sprint feature because I no longer have to press a button rapidly to run fast. The fluidness of the running game and in general feels more realistic to me in 12 but only if you're playing on the very slow speed setting. Anything higher feels too arcadey in my opinion.

The passing is whats bad because the camera in 12 is too far away and it makes it harder to manually catch the ball which is what I like to do. One positive is that you cant take forever to pass the ball like you can in years past. Staying in the pocket gives you only a few seconds to make your decision and if you dont, its an easy sack for the CPU.

Presentation wise, 12 is the best Madden thus far but thats not saying much if anything and for those who have NFL 2K3 like I do, the presentation in that game which was the first year that 2K used the ESPN license is still overall better than Madden 12. I hate that the starting lineups are non-existent in 12. 2K3 was the best in this regard but not perfect. Overall, of course 2K5 still crushes all to where its not even close. Madden is still has kickers kicking with the wrong foot into that net. You can even see it in that video posted. Akers is left footed yet he's shown kicking right footed when warming up. Sadly, this problem was in Madden 10 and yet two years later is still there.

Commentary isnt horrible in 12 like others have said but its not good either. I would say its decent at best and I will admit that i can listen to it every game because I do want commentary when im playing. Compared to 2K5, its sad that two no-names are far better than actual NFL commentators.

Visually, 2K5 still has better faces when you look at the players who have cyberfaces. Look at Terrell Owens in 2K5 and 12. He looks better and more realistic in 2K5. Everything else goes in favor of 12 but I do find it funny that some of the player models in 12 are unproportioned. I have seen players where their head is almost equal to their shoulders and thats not a good thing.

While the video didnt compare modes, I will but just the franchise mode since I dont care about all the others in either game. 12 could have EASILY been the best franchise mode thus far but the minimum requirements for positions, players out of position on the depth chart, fake randomly generated players that start on your team for the first season in order to make the cutdown days mean something even though they dont because none of the actual NFL drafted rookies progress anyway no matter what you do. They stay the same all the time. Also, the fake players will make the rosters over real NFL players including this past years first round rookies. Good concept, horrible execution. Because of those three reasons and the fact that I cant turn off the accelerated clock have turned me off to playing the game. Add in the problems passing and the too far away camera and well, its not good. Back to franchise mode, another thing that I dont like is that when signing free agents, their contracts are pre-determined. You cant offer a damn thing but here's a tip for you guys who play 12, wait until after pre-season to sign free agents because their required contract drops a lot. I signed Owens (85), Tatupu(88) and Hayden(85) to one year deals each for around $600-$800k. Forgot which. Thats flawed badly. The menu setup and presentation in franchise isnt good either. Worse part is that they should have added back mini-camp before pre-season. That would have been awesome but oh well. Overall, after trading in some games, Madden 12 only cost me $12 sealed so I dont really care but sadly, I got hooked into that season pass for $25 because with the hurricane last weekend, I was off from work and bored out of my mind so I figured what the hell. The worse part is that I had to spend $10 on Xbox Live Gold just so I could download the roster updates. Thats sad, pathetic and quite honestly, a huge rip off and I dont care if that was from EA, Microsoft or an agreement between the two. Luckily, I will cancel that crap tomorrow and once I download the final cuts roster, will play one season with my 49ers and it will then most likely be gone as I will have so many other games to play this month, that I sure as hell dont want to waste my time playing Madden 12.

2K5
-graphics 7/10
-commentary 9/10
-gameplay 9/10
-presentation 10/10
-franchise 7/10

Madden 12
-graphics 9/10
-commentary 7/10
-gameplay 8/10
-presentation 5/10
-franchise 7/10

Overall, I would still give 2K5 a 9/10 as its just amazing how a seven year old football game from last gen is still a more fun experience than Madden 12 which I would give a 7/10. Sadly, Madden 12 could have easily been better but its the small minor details that EA never solves plus a few major ones which will always be its downfall as in my opinion, Madden will never ever surpass 2K5 until EA builds the game from the ground up and who knows if/when that will happen.

Whats truly sad is that Madden has received lower review scores since 2K5/2005. Via Metacritic and as of minutes ago, look at the scores below -

YEAR / PS2 / PS3 / XBOX / XBOX 360

2K5* / 90 / NA / 92 / NA
2005 / 91 / NA / 91 / NA
2006 / 88 / NA / 86 / 74
2007 / 84 / 76 / 83 / 80
2008 / 78 / 81 / 76 / 85
2009 / 67 / 85 / 80 / 83
2010 / 68 / 85 / NA / 85
2011 / NA / 83 / NA / 84
2012 / NA / 79 / NA / 80

* Imagine 2K5's score if all those critic reviews included FINN's editor. It would be even higher than what it is.

Seriously, im surprised that I have never ever seen anyone mention this. Since Madden NFL 2005, Madden has declined and goes on an up and down roller coaster ride. Its sad that no Madden has scored higher than 85 on 360/PS3 and that both seven year old games are better than what is currently available. I truly believe than Madden has long surpassed its prime and peak and will only get better if 2K returns but sadly, that most likely will never ever happen. On the bright side, all 2K5 fans have the ability to update the game as best as possible via FINN's editor.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 24

Interesting, but not surprising.

What is sad, is we're still comparing the two, and 2k still comes out on top in many areas. Really??? On an old console with less power? Yup.

It'd be like comparing NBA Jam to 2k12 with Jam getting the nod. Shouldn't happen, not in 2011.......

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »