Home

Define "Cheese" as it pertains to games of course.

This is a discussion on Define "Cheese" as it pertains to games of course. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2003, 12:33 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1
Define \"Cheese\" as it pertains to games of course.

Y'all know I'm just a goober. But I don't have Xbox live, (yet, at least ) but I always see people writing about "cheese" and "cheesers" online. What in the world is considered "cheese" in a game? I mean, you can't really cheat. The CPU perhaps can, but a human opponent can't, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2003, 12:40 PM   #2
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Define \"Cheese\" as it pertains to games of course.

I am also not online, but from what I have read, I believe that it is cheesing to exploit weaknesses in the video game that would not happen in real life. Things such as going for it everytime on 4th down or always doing the onside kick or running the same 3 plays for the whole game.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:55 PM   #3
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

Subbing in wide receivers at TE and FB...calling a formation that shows "3TE 2RB"...your opponent goes to a bear or something, then you audible to a 4 wide set and run a no-huddle until they burn a time out.

Continually running one play that you know the AI can't adapt to. It's not "cheese" in real life...but people are smarter than computers. If they see a trend, they can stop it. Every play is like a "new game" online. The AI aren't the brightest, and won't try to bracket a throw that they should know is coming. Running 1 play over and over is cheese, although most are stoppable anyway. However, the average gamer is probably not football-savvy enough to know defenses in and out and know how to take away a TE flag or a slant...

There are a lot of ways to play "less than realistic football", so as a rule of thumb: if you don't see it on Sundays on TV, don't do it.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:04 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

Cardot said:
I am also not online, but from what I have read, I believe that it is cheesing to exploit weaknesses in the video game that would not happen in real life. Things such as going for it everytime on 4th down or always doing the onside kick or running the same 3 plays for the whole game.

Shoot, if that's all it is, what's wrong with that? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on ME.

Call it cheese or whatever, but if someone runs the same plays over and over and can beat me, then I stink/the AI stinks. This ain't Madden.

As for going for it on 4th downs, if someone is fool enough to do that all the time, then I'll just have to make 'em pay. If I can't, then again, shame on ME.

... I like a realistic game, but I'll take a cheap victory every once in a while.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:13 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

TCrouch said:
Subbing in wide receivers at TE and FB...calling a formation that shows "3TE 2RB"...your opponent goes to a bear or something, then you audible to a 4 wide set and run a no-huddle until they burn a time out.

OK, yeah that would bug me.

Quote:

Continually running one play that you know the AI can't adapt to. It's not "cheese" in real life...but people are smarter than computers. If they see a trend, they can stop it. Every play is like a "new game" online. The AI aren't the brightest, and won't try to bracket a throw that they should know is coming. Running 1 play over and over is cheese, although most are stoppable anyway. However, the average gamer is probably not football-savvy enough to know defenses in and out and know how to take away a TE flag or a slant...

There are a lot of ways to play "less than realistic football", so as a rule of thumb: if you don't see it on Sundays on TV, don't do it.

I see you guys' points. Now, I'm picturing some ol' crusty-lipped-chewed up finger nailed-coke bottle glasses wearin'-braces havin'-hot-tempered-hates his parents-non-football watchin'-bandwagon followin'-12 year old kid doing all of that mess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2003, 02:17 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:

gooberstabone said:
Y'all know I'm just a goober. But I don't have Xbox live, (yet, at least ) but I always see people writing about "cheese" and "cheesers" online. What in the world is considered "cheese" in a game? I mean, you can't really cheat. The CPU perhaps can, but a human opponent can't, right?

I think true cheese is plug pulling, or taking advantage of exploits in the game itself (like Madden's fake field goal/audible bug). I really don't think going for it on 4th down every time is cheese, because most halfway competent players can stop that.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:18 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

RichP said:
Quote:

gooberstabone said:

I think true cheese is plug pulling, or taking advantage of exploits in the game itself (like Madden's fake field goal/audible bug). I really don't think going for it on 4th down every time is cheese, because most halfway competent players can stop that.

Yeah plug pullin' that sounds like cheese. What is the Madden FG bug?
Old 09-11-2003, 02:19 PM   #8
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

Well..that's not even cheese, that's just being a rankwhore. Plugpulling is somewhere beneath "sitting in a female outhouse in a rainsuit trying to catch a glimpse" as far as level of idiocy. It's not even close to "regular" cheese...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »