Home

Guide to better Defense!

This is a discussion on Guide to better Defense! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2003, 11:28 PM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Defense Tips

Here's my technique on stopping the run.. I call it the Zone technique..

Why Zone?

Because i use ZONE defense to stop the run.. What kinda Zone defense?

Cover 2 Zone. Any Zone defense that lines up the 2 db's near the LOS. DO NOT chose Blitz plays that put your defense in Man to Man position..Only blitz in Zone coverage plays.

Blitzing is risky and allows for long breakaway Td's You need protection on top..When you blitz..you will lose your secondary back up on top and then the opposing runner will break that last defense and he is gone!

So don't blitz..play in Zone, lower your db's down..let your secondary react to what is happening on the field..do not blitz..Blitzing is only for passing plays, or near the goal line.

ZONE ZONE ZONE is the Key!
Old 09-21-2003, 11:50 PM   #74
Rookie

Heres my technique on pass defense. You can shut out the other teams Main receiver...without having to set up the double team option in defensive matchups.

I use a lot of Cloud 4. Cloud 4 is a Zone defense where one of the DB's play down low. I used this D on 1st and 2nd down if they call 3 set WR or 2 Set WR..

This defense stops the flares, the curls, mid range passes as well as the 10+ yard passes..this defense works 90% of the time..

With this defense you need to do a lot of flipping to succeed.

On a 2 WR set...if the main receiver is on the right side...Flip the D...so the DB playing low will play on the main receiver...

On a 3 WR set..i flip the D so the DB playing low will guard the isolated WR..

The DB playing low will bump the receiver..The LB/CB will also bump the receiver...and almost acts like a Double team Zone coverage...this will mess up the timing of the route and QB pass timing..and he will then look for his other options..

Control your LB..and to be successfull, you need to strafe.

And on 3rd and long, I choose 3 Weak, 4 Sky, 3 Robber..with some Zone blitzing.

Old 09-21-2003, 11:54 PM   #75
Rookie

Quote:

JayBee74 said:
Quote:

joker said:
THATS FUNNY , I ROUTED 3 PLAYERS ON PRO ONLINE AND I RAN FOR 250 YARDS EACH GAME WITH PORTIS... PRO SUCKS ITS ALL ABOUT LEGEND BUT IN LEGEND YOU JUST HAVE TO STOP THE BIG PLAYS

Yeah, I just played on Pro for the first time and it was just a run fest between my Priest and his Bettis. After playing on legend the game was a big bore for me. As far as stopping the big plays you have to do that at any level.IMO legend is the only way to go in this game. I got smacked around by that jerk called "Bat", as the mild Viking D kept my Chiefs in check. How many players can take a weak defense in Pro & All Pro and pretty much stop a potent offense? I couldn't, but a superior player can do this in Legend.

I beat the Buccaneers using my Cardinals on Pro. I was able to stop Alstott for less than 100 yards..

Once i was able to do that..They started to pass..and when they did..commited mistakes resulting in interceptions..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2003, 02:32 AM   #76
MVP

OVR: 8

Just as a quick aside, I hope people watched the games today and kept track of how many times a running back was taken down on the first hit (assuming it wasn't a gang tackle). Not very many.

The game is really a nasty simulation, it really is. (And for those have trouble with Miami running outside, I highly suggest playing a 4-3 or Bear man defense and taking control of either the strongside tackle or end and using them to either string out-DT- or turn in-DE- Williams. You're not going to completely shut him down, but you can definitely contain him.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:06 AM   #77
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

The main problem that I seem to be having is with my defensive backs being in position to swat the ball or intercept it but then just standing there and letting the reciever catch the ball or swatting in a completly different direction , then it's touchdown city. Does anybody have any tips for this? I have used many teams with many defenses and I still can't seem to figure this out. Any help is much appreciated!
Old 09-22-2003, 08:16 AM   #78
MVP

VanillaEps's Arena

I just got ESPN and I am trying to gather as much knowledge as possible. Coming from Madden, I'm pretty sure what defensive schemes I need to employ in order to stop certain situation. I usually like to run a BnR coverage with the DB's and keep the LB's spread out to contain the run.

Someone mentioned playing the DB's on the inside of the receiver to prevent the slant and playing the DB's on the outside to prevent the outs.......in the actual game....how do you audible your DB's to play those routes. From the book that I read...you can play your DB's up tight, loose, or cheating left/right. But I haven't seen anything with regards to playing inside/outside.

Can someone help me out here? The booklet hardly contains much help....

BTW I play on Xbox.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2003, 08:22 AM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 4

Press and hold the Black button prior to the snap, them move the right joystick. To bring the DBs closer to the line, pull down on the joystick; to play the DBs further back off the line, push upward; to play the DBs to the inside of the WRs, press left on the stick; to play DBs to the outside, press right on the stick.

Remember that you must hold the black button while using the stick at the same time. Otherwise, the text will pop up on the screen, but they will not adjust.

HTH
Old 09-22-2003, 08:26 AM   #80
MVP

VanillaEps's Arena

Thanks a lot for the help. I suppose my next question is: Could one audible for more than one? Suppose I would like them to play close to the line and alos inside of the receiver? Is that possible.

If it isn't? Then how close to the line do they play when you have them audible inside/outside?

Thanks again

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »