Home

ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2003, 11:04 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 5
ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anybody know what ports i need to free up for me to play online ESPN football on XBOX? I dont want to use DMZ, and i dont want to directly connect my dsl to my xbox. I just need to know which ports to free up because i keep getting divergence connection error and when its directly connected then i dont get this. But im tired of directly connecting my xbox to my dsl.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2003, 11:21 AM   #2
Rookie

bdouk's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would you not want to put the Xbox in the DMZ?
Old 09-16-2003, 11:52 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Yeah really man, just put it in the DMZ, it's fast, easy and not like anyone is gonna "hack" your xbox, lol..
Old 09-16-2003, 11:59 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Not to take this thread slightly OT, but I'm having some lag issues that I was wondering if anyone could help with. Here's my situation...

I currently have a cable connection 1.5M down and 256k up. I have my xbox connected to my pc and I'm using Internet Connection Sharing. I'm doing it this way because I currently don't have a router.

Here's how it's set up. The cable modem is connected to an internal Ethernet card in my PC and I have a USB Ethernet adapter that connected to that computer that has a line running out to my xbox. In the Properties of the internal Ethernet adapter, I have it set up to allow sharing of the internet connection (this is in Windows XP).

This works fine for the most part, but when my wife is surfing the net at the same time I'm playing on XBLive, I get some serious lag. I understand that there is only so much bandwidth to go around, but I was wondering if a more traditional setup using a router would make a difference. Also, is there anything I can do (with or without a router) to throttle bandwidth so that I give the Xbox more bandwidth than the computer.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-16-2003, 12:11 PM   #5
Rookie

bdouk's Arena

OVR: 2

Jmark,

If the connection is running through a PC, you could be getting lag due to CPU Utilization levels being higher when your wife surfs the web. There really isn't much you can do about this except maybe get a faster computer, but in the end it would be much cheaper and more efficient just to get a $50 router.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2003, 01:14 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:

jmarks2001 said:
Not to take this thread slightly OT, but I'm having some lag issues that I was wondering if anyone could help with. Here's my situation...

I currently have a cable connection 1.5M down and 256k up. I have my xbox connected to my pc and I'm using Internet Connection Sharing. I'm doing it this way because I currently don't have a router.

Here's how it's set up. The cable modem is connected to an internal Ethernet card in my PC and I have a USB Ethernet adapter that connected to that computer that has a line running out to my xbox. In the Properties of the internal Ethernet adapter, I have it set up to allow sharing of the internet connection (this is in Windows XP).

This works fine for the most part, but when my wife is surfing the net at the same time I'm playing on XBLive, I get some serious lag. I understand that there is only so much bandwidth to go around, but I was wondering if a more traditional setup using a router would make a difference. Also, is there anything I can do (with or without a router) to throttle bandwidth so that I give the Xbox more bandwidth than the computer.

Thanks in advance!

You answered your own question.
If your wife is surfing the web (probably dowmloading) than of course your Xbox is going to lag.

Playing games online require every inch of bandwidth you have, & with speeds like that from your internet provider I suggets you play your Xbox when no one is on the computer.

, peace
Old 09-16-2003, 05:01 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

ODogg said:
Yeah really man, just put it in the DMZ, it's fast, easy and not like anyone is gonna "hack" your xbox, lol..

Yeah, thats what I figure. All the Xbox does is connect to XBL, and I'm pretty confident nobody is going to hack into my Xbox. I didn't notice any difference in the amount of divergence errors I recieved either.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:10 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Not true.

Your downstream is most likely more than enough... Unless she's pulling down from a server that can fill your pipe.

The upstream can be a killer, tho. That can easily be maxed out if someone uploads while you're playing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »