Home

Who is toughest running back to stop in this game?

This is a discussion on Who is toughest running back to stop in this game? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2003, 04:21 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Who is toughest running back to stop in this game?

Quote:

laxman490 said:
i'd have to go with richy williams. him combined with that d make the phins unstoppable.

I'm taking a break from playing against the 'phins for a while. Its not so much Williams as it is him combined with the D.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:23 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:

antbull2k4 said:

One last time guys. When was the last NFL team you saw shut down the run on a consistent basis with the dime/nickel?? No team is the answer.

Well...... the Tennessee Titans were , number 2 against the run last year, and they ran nickel the majority of the time..... Just thought I'd point that out to you...
Old 09-18-2003, 05:41 PM   #35
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

bkrich83 said:
Priest Holmes has given me fits. But Jamal Lewis is the one I have had the most problems with.

I guess the game is trying to tell you something about this week, huh?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2003, 05:42 PM   #36
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16

Marshall Faulk - 42atts 406yds 6TD .....but, lets not talk about that
Old 09-19-2003, 08:50 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:

RicoLaguna said:
SOmeone touchd on this earlier in the thread.....the reason there is such frustration with alot of users stopping the CPU rbs in the game can stem alot from what I call 'MADDEN fever' People are too used to the results obtained from playing the Madden/Ncaa games and expect all football games to play similar in tactics and results.

In Madden, its very easy to stop the run without actually fully commiting to it. You get alot of help from the overly sensitive 'touch tackling' system it uses coupled with pass play formations that can equally contain the run as well as run formations. These two elements alone really never completely challenge a player's playmaking and pursuit skills in the game.

Then we switch over to ESPN and witness a totally different engine that uses a more realistic collision based physics model that takes more into account the angle of the hit and the player's upper body and lower body strength ratings then Madden ever did. On top of that, In ESPN, you prettu much have to have a defensive gameplan in mind to effectively carry out your objectives. Picking random defensive plays for no reason, will make you pay more drastic consequences. And trying to stop a cpu's rushing attack from a Dime or Nickle defense can pose real problems.

You need to commit to the run to have any chance of totally shutting it down. And commiting to the run starts off with picking defensive rushing formations such as the Bear, 4-3, and even 3-4 in certain situations....and it finishes off with having talented linebackers in the right containment positions on the field with some extra help closeby.

ESPN is extremely realistic in this area and rewards you with results, the smarter you play.....rather than just giving it you because you have the controller in hand as Madden does.

This has to be the greatest post I've read in months. Kudos! I'm about to reprint it everywhere for the whole world to see...
Old 09-19-2003, 10:17 AM   #38
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:

grunt said:
Garner

Same here. His freakin speed kills me.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:48 PM   #39
MVP

SportsAce's Arena

OVR: 13

Eddie George(I'm just saying this because my favorite team is the Titans)
Old 09-19-2003, 12:52 PM   #40
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6

I'd have to say all of them. You can pretty much count on the cpu runningback to break two to three tackles per carry on the Legacy mode. I played against the Ravens and had a 24-19 lead with a minute and change left to go. The Ravens starting from inside their 20 drove the ball down field by using a two minute drill running game. They continually ran the toss play from the Slit Pro formation. Jamal Lewis would break three and four tackles each carry. The frustrating part is that the Ravens only completed two passes the entire drive. Now I'm all for the cpu having a strong running game, but I'd rather it be the result of solid play execution rather than superhuman abilities. I wouldn't mind one bit if the Ravens suprised my defense with a draw play and he ran an 80 yard touchdown, but him breaking tackles over and over and over again got really frustrating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »