Home

This Game needs alot more Off-Field Polish Next year: Looonngg Rant

This is a discussion on This Game needs alot more Off-Field Polish Next year: Looonngg Rant within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2003, 03:24 AM   #1
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
This Game needs alot more Off-Field Polish Next year: Looonngg Rant

I love the gameplay... but off the field? ESPNFL needs work.

Before anybody chimes in with "I'd rather VC continue to focus on gameplay and graphics. Thats all that really matters"...no its not.

Sure Gameplay is the heart and soul of any sports game but VC has done such an excellent job of polishing and improving nfl2k4's gameplay over 2k3 that its rather difficult to fathom any signifcant additions they can make to onfiled play beyond what? More animations and even better player models? I'm sure theres more than that but at the moment its hard to come up with anything aside from more polish.

Not to mention Off-Field Fetaures and Modes such as Franchise Mode and ... ...the CRIB are what give the game a good amount of its longevity, replayability and lasting appeal.

OffField? Create-A-Player, Historic Team editing, Stat Tracking and Sorting, Depth Charts, and FRANCHISE MODE all IMO need a serious amount of attention if VC has any serious intent on nfl2k5 further building upon the success of espnfl.

Franchise Mode:

I Put Franchise Mode in all CAPS because beyond the email system...its the same as last year and when you have a Franchise Mode as Monstrous as Madden's, boring or not, with a plethora of options and features available PLUS solid stat tracking and sorting....VC can't afford to simply put out the same Franchise Mode next year hoping once again the gameplay will keep it afloat like it does for 2k4.

Plus, with the Lack of a Collegiate Counterpart..ESPNFL is in sore and desperate need of an import/export draft Class Feature. The Edit draft Class feature in espnfl as it is....SUCKS! Every season guys have to go in and edit rookies...everytime we start up a Franchise we have to edit the rookies all over again. Thats complete and total B.S.!!

VC, Look, if yall don't plan on making an ESPNCAA Football next year then you better add a highly functionable import/export draft class feature and I'm dead serious. We have guys on here looking for Draft Class spreadsheets and going to extremes just to have real-life rookies in their draft when they shouldn't have to.

-----------------------------

Stat Tracking

Stat tracking and Sorting needs to seriously be improved. I don't know who's in Charge of Off-Field features at VC but they need to get it in gear or get their *** whupped! They need to simply sit down, study Madden's Stat engine...and copy it. Bottomline.

How Can you have Stat Leaders and not allow the user to sort them by Conference and Division??? WTF?? The Way the Stats are all jumbled up on one screen is ridiculous!

Tackles Stats, a Hot button topic as is, require 3 categories...TOTAL Tackles, SOLOS, and ASSISTS. Why espnfl has only 2 categories for tackles is beyond me and its a huge reason why most are up in arms because their LBs aren't comparing with the League leaders. However I certainly do appluad ESPNFL being the first football game on PS2 to track assisted tackles and Half Sacks. Much props for that.

Edit/Create-A-Player:

This is an area in espnfl that is frustrating me the most. I'm a guy that loves customizing my rosters and that ultimately requires I edit the players. First off...The Body types are generic. This is a huge piss-off after there was evdidence of BodyPart sliders in the ESPNFL beta footage. Why VC took this feature out I'll never know. The Facial Choices are lacking andthis results in waaayyy to many players looking exactly alike. The Lack of Body type sliders also results in QBs and Kickers all being built Like Michael Vick as well as other positions looking rather generic across the board...especially offensive Tackles. OMG Willie Roaf looks like a Mr. Universe contestant. WTF??

Madden's player Models might be laughable but the sheer amount of customization available in regards to how the Madden players are built is unmatched and is something VC should look at adding (or putting back in) for next year.

Depth Charts..

There needs to be a Right/Left for Offensive lIne and Defensive Positions. There needs to be spots for long snapper, punt returner and kick returner. Again, VC, look at Madden as in example...Hell, look at real-life depth charts as an example.

Man I'm sure theres more offield gripes I left out but these are the main things that are personally pissing me off. Again, these are personal gripes. I'm not screaming or porclaiming I've found some type gamebreaking flawglitchbug. I'm just noting areas of the game that need improvement next year....especially since VC actually listens t thier fans. Plus, those who know me at nfl2kx.com already know I'm active in coming up with suggestions and have sent in many to them to VC.

Anyways, If any of you agree or disagree then thats cool. I still love the game and...

OMFG!!!

How could forget IN-GAME SAVE!!!!!?? This is an absolute, undeniable MUST-HAVE feature next year, VC. Don't leave this out next year.

Overall however, ESpnfl is still the best football game available this year IMO. But if that is to be the Case for 2k5...Visual Concepts better take a long hard look at seriously Improving the Off-the-Field Options and Features...BIGTIME!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2003, 03:30 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: This Game needs alot more Off-Field Polish Next year: Looonngg Rant

I want more uniforms for my created team! I want to be able to create my own uniform design. That is all i want for now..
Old 09-22-2003, 04:11 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:

Kanobi said:
I love the gameplay... but off the field? ESPNFL needs work.

Before anybody chimes in with "I'd rather VC continue to focus on gameplay and graphics. Thats all that really matters"...no its not.

Sure Gameplay is the heart and soul of any sports game but VC has done such an excellent job of polishing and improving nfl2k4's gameplay over 2k3 that its rather difficult to fathom any signifcant additions they can make to onfiled play beyond what? More animations and even better player models? I'm sure theres more than that but at the moment its hard to come up with anything aside from more polish.

Not to mention Off-Field Fetaures and Modes such as Franchise Mode and ... ...the CRIB are what give the a good amount of its longevity, replayability and lasting appeal.

OffField? Create-A-Player, Historic Team editing, Stat Tracking and Sorting, Depth Charts, and FRANCHISE MODE all IMO need a serious amount of attention if VC has any serious intent on nfl2k5 further building upon the success of espnfl.

Franchise Mode:

I Put Franchise Mode in all CAPS because beyond the email system...its the same as last year and when you have a Franchise Mode as Monstrous as Madden's, boring or not, with a plethora of options and features available PLUS solid stat tracking and sorting....VC can't afford to simply put out the same Franchise Mode next year hoping once again the gameplay will keep it afloat like it does for 2k4.

Plus, with the Lack of a Collegiate Counterpart..ESPNFL is in sore and desperate need of an import/export draft Class Feature. The Edit draft Class feature in espnfl as it is....SUCKS! Every season guys have to go in and edit rookies...everytime we start up a Franchise we have to edit the rookies all over again. Thats complete and total B.S!!

VC, Look, if yall don't plan on making a ESPNCAA Football next year then you better add a highly functionable import/export draft class feature and I'm dead serious. We have guys on here looking for Draft Class spreadsheets and going to extremes just have real-life rookies in their draft when they shouldn't have to.

Stat Tracking

Stat tracking and Sorting needs to seriously be improved. I don't know who's in Charge of Off-Field features at VC but they need to get it in gear or get their *** whupped! They need to simply sit down, study Madden's Stat engine...and copy it. Bottomline.

How Can you have Stat Leaders and not not allow the user to sort them by Conference and Division??? WTF?? The Way the Stats are all jumbled up on one screen is ridiculous!

Tackles Stats, a Hot button topic as is, require 3 categories...TOTAL Tackles, SOLOS, and ASSISTS. Why espnfl has only 2 categories for tackles is beyond me and its a huge reason why most are up in arms because their LBs aren't comparing with the League leaders. However I ecrtainly do appluad ESPNFL being the first football game on PS2 to track assisted tackles and Half Sacks. Much props for that.

Edit/Create-A-Player:

This is an area in espnfl that is frustrating me the most. I'm a guy that loves customizing my rosters and that ultimately requires I edit the players. First off...The Body types are generic. This is a huge piss-off after there was evdidence of BodyPart sliders in the ESPNFL beta footage. Why VC took this feature out I'll never know. The Facial Choices are lacking andthis results in waaayyy to many players looking exactly alike. The Lack of Body type sliders also results in QBs and Kickers all being built Like Michael Vick as well as other positions looking rather generic across the board...especially offensive Tackles. OMG Willie Roaf looks like Mr. Universe contestant. WTF??

Madden's player Models might be laughable but the sheer amount of customization available in regards to how the Madden players are built is unmatched and is something VC should look at adding (or putting back in) for next year.

Depth Charts..

There needs to be a Right/Left for Offensive lIne and Defensive Positions. There needs to be spots for long snapper, punt returner and kick retruner. Again, VC, look at Madden as in example...Hell, look at real-life depth charts as an example.

Man I'm sure theres more offield gripes I left out but these are the main things tha are personally pissing me off. Again, these are personal gripes. If yopu agree or disagree than thats cool. I still love the game and...

OMFG!!!

How could forget IN-GAME SAVE!!!!!?? This is an absolute, undeniable MUST-HAVE feature next year, VC. Don't leave this out next year....seriously.

Overall however, ESpnfl is still the best football game available this year IMO. But if that is to be the Case for 2k5...Visual Concepts better take a long hard look at seriously Improving the Off-the-Field Options and Features...BIGTIME!

i agree.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:04 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

I agree with a couple of your points but thats about it. I do want to see the regular and historic roster management overhauled and have their own save files. They also need to have playbooks/Substitutions included in the franchise save file just like the depth charts where you don't have to load it before each and every game. The scouting report needs to includ the next team's depth chart so you can see exactly how the players on the next team is rated. they need to have a player of the game. They need to have Super Bowl MVP. They need to bring back Michelle Wesphal so they can tell us what happened to the injured players. They also need to add replays to the NFL Primetime show during the playoffs. They need to give us more than one floor plan to choose from for the Crib mode. They need to includ a diffferent set of Crib stats for people who like to play more than 5 minute quarters so they can still unlock stuff. Still need team specific helmets for players in the Pro Bowl. I think they should use NFL.coms stat tracking style where they give you the number rank for the teams in each category first. I don't want to have to read all the stats to use if I'm #1 or #30 in a category.

I still love ESPN NFL football even after mentioning all that because the gameplay is that good. I agree they need to get the off the field stuff polished a little more.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:17 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 21

Seems like a Wishlist post. I kind've like the Simulate to End option better than an in-game save, but I can see how others might not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2003, 08:27 AM   #6
All Star

OVR: 21

I agree w/some of Kanobi's ideas, but personally I still think it's most important to improve gameplay wise. Fortunately they have a great foundation to build on with this year's game and shouldn't need to dedicate the time it must have taken last year to get the gameplay to where it is now. Expecting the game to have tangible stat tracking and separation of positions like RE/LE are very important. But not sure that we can expect it to have Madden-level style tracking and features. Madden's been working on polishing their gameplay and stat tracking for a decade; VC has had less than half that time.

I disagree with the idea that they need to bring out a college game. To me, dedicating all the resources to improve the gameplay/atmosphere is what made this title so great. If they did bring out a college game, it's going to be compared to EA's great NCAA. A spotty Sega college game will no doubt affect the image of VC's pro football game. A lot of hardcore gamers love the ability to import draft classes, but lets be honest - (I would think) most people don't find it financially feasible to keep two football games around just for that feature. As great as NCAA is, many people traded it in when Madden came out. Resources should be dedicated to definitively putting Madden out to pasture - there's no need to get too giddy over this year's success.

Again, I agree that the game needs more off-the-field improvements. I'd love to see them expand on what they've established Franchise wise, and their online content sags far behind what's being done in NCAA and Madden. But I think first and foremost they should concentrate on improving the gameplay (including the animations) first and foremost.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:40 AM   #7
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I agree that EA handles stats much better and Sega should take a look. I am in a season, and I couldn't even find a give away/take away stat. Perhaps I missed it though???

The CPU never missing FGs is troubling also. What do you do if the CPU is driving on you late in the game? If they get inside the 30, I suppose you should let them score ASAP so you'll have time to come back...and that is bogus.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:43 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:

Expecting the game to have tangible stat tracking and separation of positions like RE/LE are very important. But not sure that we can expect it to have Madden-level style tracking and features

how hard is it for them to have separate LT and RT depth chart positions. This is actually an on-field problem that affects gameplay. Especially when you have some of the premier pass rushers lining up on the wrong side of the field. You have LB's and DT's that have the same problem. You also need to be able to sub a player for any position. Yes, kick returner and long snapper, etc. should be an option. These things are IMO minor administrative issues that need to be addressed. I agree with most of Kanobi's points with the exception of the historical players. I could care less about that. I hope VC doesn't become complacent and does not continue to polish all aspects of the game. ESPN has definitely been a success and they know that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »