Home

A different view of the cpu's running game (coach's mode)

This is a discussion on A different view of the cpu's running game (coach's mode) within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2003, 02:36 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
A different view of the cpu\'s running game (coach\'s mode)

I know there has been a lot of talk about how difficult it is to stop the computer running game. I just wanted to say that I have drastically increased my ability to stop the computer through really spending a lot of time scouting the opposition, manipulating my roster and calling better plays. I play on coach mode and my results in 13:00 quarters have been very good. I’m not saying other people are inferior coaches. Nor, am I saying that all of your criticisms of the game in this regard are invalid. It is very, very difficult to stop the run…probably harder than it should be. However, I am just telling you that I have been able to hold the computer to very realistic yards per attempt during my season with the Lions. I have not played with the sliders at all with the exception of the fatigue and pass interference (1 or 2 clicks each). I do hit the 'start' button often between plays so I can look over my defense playbook (which I’ve written out) and pick what I hope will be the best defense for the situation. I have spent a lot of time working on getting the right subs in at the right time, as well. Finally, I’ve learned not to gamble too much on defense and I’ve learned to really pay attention to my game plan sliders and adjusting my defense at the line of scrimmage (moving the d-line, LBs, and CB’s in a wise fashion before the play is a must). It is difficult to do, and at the end of game I’m pretty spent (usually 2.5 hours to play a game with prep. time) but there is a pay-off if you really get “deep” into the game. Given how long my games take, I usually can only play 1 or 2 a week (Sunday and Wednesday nights). This is fine with me, however, because I’m really satisfied with how this game replicates many of the nuances of real football and seems to reward you if you spend the time to really prepare yourself for each unique opponent.

Also, I wanted to pass along that the computer will not always win its challenges. Last night, Minnesota challenged a call that put them at 4-inches instead of 1st and 10. On review, the original spot was upheld and the computer Vikings were charged with a time-out.

PS - does anyone know of a setting that make the cpu spend more time picking plays. I have to keep hitting the 'start' button because I'm rushed. If they would give 5 more second to choose it would be perfect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2003, 04:44 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: A different view of the cpu\'s running game (coach\'s mode)

PS - does anyone know of a setting that make the cpu spend more time picking plays. I have to keep hitting the 'start' button because I'm rushed. If they would give 5 more second to choose it would be perfect.

I play my franchise in coaching mode, and the only thing I can recommend (and I can't stress this highly enough) is to be sure to have a good set of audibles preset for defense. I think they give 6 audibles (Xbox) - 7 if you include the original defensive play.
While this doesn't add any time to the original pick my defensive play time allotment, it does give me the opportunity to have good alternatives in case I don't get the play that I want picked quickly enough. With a good set of audibles, at least I don't feel rushed picking my D because if I don't click it fast enough, I know I have fall back plan.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »