Home

Why Dont People Read The Defensive Tips?

This is a discussion on Why Dont People Read The Defensive Tips? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2003, 08:14 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Why Dont People Read The Defensive Tips?

Part what you say is true about reading the tips. But the fact is it and any game should have a good balance. In other words the Cpu itself should be able to stop the run and not have so many broken tackles. It is like last year where you had to use ridiculous formations to get any sacks. People were complaining but die hards were trying to make excuses for it. This year they acknowledge that it was a flaw because Sega fixed it to a degree. If you play in coach mode how is this going to help?

I am sorry but to me it's still a flaw. Granted it isn't a drastically bad one but a flaw none the less. I of course will be told by Sega fans (of which I am) I should shut up and play madden (which by the way is a great game even if Segaites won't admit it) or something to that nature. But i feel to be honest about it will help Sega eventually see the things that do and don't work and make a better game that will finally catch up to Madden and surpass it, instead of constantly making excuses and trying to make up for the mistakes with silly formations and other unreal plays.

Old 09-27-2003, 09:28 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 18

You just need to learn how to play the game! To say it is flaw, is so wrong and irresponsible that you should be banned from posting....just kidding. Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with the running in this game, you simply have to know what you are doing. The flaw is in your gameplan and skill level. I don't say this to disrespect you, but you are dead wrong!!
Old 09-27-2003, 09:38 AM   #19
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

XBox_Roughneck said:
Quote:

jmarks2001 said:
always needing 2 or 3 tacklers to take them down

I've also had linebackers hit RBs head on and take them down without help.

Note: I've tweaked my sliders to tone down the CPU running ability.

I've had Linebackers do the same thing.

Note: My sliders are on All-Pro default
Old 09-27-2003, 10:07 AM   #20
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

Quote:

Lugosi2002 said:
Part what you say is true about reading the tips. But the fact is it and any game should have a good balance. In other words the Cpu itself should be able to stop the run and not have so many broken tackles. It is like last year where you had to use ridiculous formations to get any sacks. People were complaining but die hards were trying to make excuses for it. This year they acknowledge that it was a flaw because Sega fixed it to a degree. If you play in coach mode how is this going to help?

I am sorry but to me it's still a flaw. Granted it isn't a drastically bad one but a flaw none the less. I of course will be told by Sega fans (of which I am) I should shut up and play madden (which by the way is a great game even if Segaites won't admit it) or something to that nature. But i feel to be honest about it will help Sega eventually see the things that do and don't work and make a better game that will finally catch up to Madden and surpass it, instead of constantly making excuses and trying to make up for the mistakes with silly formations and other unreal plays.

espnfl has laready surpassed Madden on the Field. Its the Off-field aspect where ESPNFL lags behind Madden.

As for yours and any other Madden Ballers' troubles with the running game...

Quote:

RicoLaguna said:
There is often frustration with many new users trying to stop the RBs in ESPN football. This stems from what may be termed a "Madden mindset". People are too accustomed to the results easily obtained from playing the Madden/NCAA games - and expect all football games to employ similar tactics and produce similar results.

In Madden, it's very easy to stop the run without actually fully committing to it. You get a lot of help from the overly-sensitive "touch tackling" system it uses, coupled with pass play formations that can equally contain the run as well as any given run formation. These two elements alone really never completely challenge a player's playmaking and pursuit skills in the game.

Then we switch over to ESPN - and witness a totally different engine that uses a more realistic collision-based physics model. This model takes into account far more the angle of the hit, as well the player's upper-body and lower-body strength ratings, then Madden ever did.

Additionally, in ESPN, you must have a defensive gameplan in mind in order to effectively carry out your objectives. Simply picking random defensive plays for no reason will make you pay more drastic consequences. Trying to stop a rushing attack from a Dime or Nickel defense can truly prove difficult.

You need to commit to the run to have any chance of totally shutting it down. And committing to the run begins with picking defensive rushing formations such as Bear, 4-3 or 3-4 in most situations.

Finally, good run defense is complemented by having talented linebackers in the right containment positions on the field, with extra help close by.

ESPN is extremely realistic in this area and rewards you with better results, the smarter you play. This is in contrast to Madden, which fairly just gives it to you because you have the controller in your hand.

The game has reached a level of realism that obviously many were not prepared for. people ask for more realistic gameplay based on the actual nfl but when they finally get it...they just aren't prepared. Now while many who play espnfl have stepped up their playcalling, tackling control, and improved their knowledge of how to stop the run overall, Others feel like everything should simply be handed to them with the mere press of the dive tackle button...no matter what angle they use, no matter what the player attributes are, and no matter what play they called. I'm finding these types to be mostly Madden Fans who just recently switched to or decided to try out espnfl. Thats why I posted the quote above.

All this complaining when guys are trying to TELL you how to stop the run simply shows signs of ignorance and close-mindedness. And again this behavior seems typical of Madden fans who obviously think if the running game isn't like Madden's then it must be flawed. But lets say VC were to Cave-in to all the Madden ballers' complaining...what would the run game be like next year? I'll tell you....we'll have a bunch of B!TCHBACKS!...Top RBs being stopped way too easily despite poor tackle angles and the player attributes involved. Thus we'd have another aspect of espnfl that would be "Maddenized" and fall disgustingly short of the realism espnfl has acheived this year in regards to the running game.
---------------------------------------

VC,

I understand you have to please the consumer and ultimately attract more football-gamers to your product. But please realize that your game has more buzz this year than last year and the fanbase has grown quite dramatically. ESPNFL's Running game, as proven by those who chose to improve their run defense And actual Footage from real-nFl action, is the Most realistic of anY of the pro-football games this year.

Sure theres always room for improvement but right now ESPNFL is above the rest when it comes to gameplay....especially in the area of running and all the intracies required to defend against it. VC, continue to BUILD on this apsect of the game next year but DON'T dummy it down for those who are either too lazy or to stubborn to improve upon their own skills or refuse to take advice from fellow gamers who have success at defending the run.

and Kudos to the Author of this thread. Good Stuff.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:42 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

The only thing that has helped me stop or contain the run is playing with a DLineman. I am the type of player that plays TECMO defense meaning I never switch once the ball is snapped. The only way for me to have any success is to control a DLineman and let everyone else do their thing. Or I can control a safety and get almost the same results but if I try to control a LB, no azz.

I sometimes feel cheap for playing TECMO defense but I have been doing it since Madden 2002. I feel the players that I have on the field are way more important when it is not me making all the plays. What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2003, 10:47 AM   #22
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

I think guys should spend more time adjusting their Gameplan sliders than tweaking difficulty sliders.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:50 PM   #23
Mot
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

Kanobi said:
Quote:

Lugosi2002 said:

espnfl has laready surpassed Madden on the Field. Its the Off-field aspect where ESPNFL lags behind Madden.

As for yours and any other Madden Ballers' troubles with the running game...

Quote:

RicoLaguna said:
There is often frustration with many new users trying to stop the RBs in ESPN football. This stems from what may be termed a "Madden mindset". People are too accustomed to the results easily obtained from playing the Madden/NCAA games - and expect all football games to employ similar tactics and produce similar results.

In Madden, it's very easy to stop the run without actually fully committing to it. You get a lot of help from the overly-sensitive "touch tackling" system it uses, coupled with pass play formations that can equally contain the run as well as any given run formation. These two elements alone really never completely challenge a player's playmaking and pursuit skills in the game.

Then we switch over to ESPN - and witness a totally different engine that uses a more realistic collision-based physics model. This model takes into account far more the angle of the hit, as well the player's upper-body and lower-body strength ratings, then Madden ever did.

Additionally, in ESPN, you must have a defensive gameplan in mind in order to effectively carry out your objectives. Simply picking random defensive plays for no reason will make you pay more drastic consequences. Trying to stop a rushing attack from a Dime or Nickel defense can truly prove difficult.

You need to commit to the run to have any chance of totally shutting it down. And committing to the run begins with picking defensive rushing formations such as Bear, 4-3 or 3-4 in most situations.

Finally, good run defense is complemented by having talented linebackers in the right containment positions on the field, with extra help close by.

ESPN is extremely realistic in this area and rewards you with better results, the smarter you play. This is in contrast to Madden, which fairly just gives it to you because you have the controller in your hand.

The game has reached a level of realism that obviously many were not prepared for. people ask for more realistic gameplay based on the actual nfl but when they finally get it...they just aren't prepared. Now while many who play espnfl have stepped up their playcalling, tackling control, and improved their knowledge of how to stop the run overall, Others feel like everything should simply be handed to them with the mere press of the dive tackle button...no matter what angle they use, no matter what the player attributes are, and no matter what play they called. I'm finding these types to be mostly Madden Fans who just recently switched to or decided to try out espnfl. Thats why I posted the quote above.

All this complaining when guys are trying to TELL you how to stop the run simply shows signs of ignorance and close-mindedness. And again this behavior seems typical of Madden fans who obviously think if the running game isn't like Madden's then it must be flawed. But lets say VC were to Cave-in to all the Madden ballers' complaining...what would the run game be like next year? I'll tell you....we'll have a bunch of B!TCHBACKS!...Top RBs being stopped way too easily despite poor tackle angles and the player attributes involved. Thus we'd have another aspect of espnfl that would be "Maddenized" and fall disgustingly short of the realism espnfl has acheived this year in regards to the running game.
---------------------------------------

VC,

I understand you have to please the consumer and ultimately attract more football-gamers to your product. But please realize that your game has more buzz this year than last year and the fanbase has grown quite dramatically. ESPNFL's Running game, as proven by those who chose to improve their run defense And actual Footage from real-nFl action, is the Most realistic of anY of the pro-football games this year.

Sure theres always room for improvement but right now ESPNFL is above the rest when it comes to gameplay....especially in the area of running and all the intracies required to defend against it. VC, continue to BUILD on this apsect of the game next year but DON'T dummy it down for those who are either too lazy or to stubborn to improve upon their own skills or refuse to take advice from fellow gamers who have success at defending the run.

and Kudos to the Author of this thread. Good Stuff.

Thanks, I would like to play you one day on-line.
Clearly, people just dont know how to play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »