Home

Why we play video game football

This is a discussion on Why we play video game football within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2003, 09:56 AM   #9
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Why we play video game football

Cause it captures my imagination. I notice even today, at age 25, I can immerse myself after a busy day at work in the game's franchise & play all day long. I don't think I have ever played a 1 player game outside of franchise since it was created. (Season mode in other games before that GD97) As soon as I buy it, I like to turn the game on, set it to the hardest level & start the franchise. I know I will be horrible at it at first...this year especially. But I keep playing because I will learn how to play faster & more effectively. This, to me is fun & realistic because you start off bad & build your team's stats as the years go on. This year I have played 3 seasons & failed to reach 10 wins every season on Legend (2-14, 9-7, 9-7). But it keeps me coming back for more.

It relaxes me & gives me something to do for fun...even though I should be doing other constructive things. "At least I'm not coming home & drinking a six pack everyday.." is what I tell my fiance'. I've played Gameday, Madden, 2k, 10 Yd fight, John Elway and Joe Montana football every year since I was a child. As long as I could save up the cash, my mom would drive me to the mall to buy whatever I wanted. & it was always a football game, except for a Mortal Kombat here and a Zelda there. (you know what I mean, those are MUST-BUYS) Football games were all I was good at. Even today my friends test their skills by their results against me. Anything else...I get smoked...Bad.
We are a generation brought up by video games. There are many of us out there with a closet addiction to video games because it is the one thing that can still capture our imagination.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:07 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:

onetonmartin said:
Cause it captures my imagination. I notice even today, at age 25, I can immerse myself after a busy day at work in the game's franchise & play all day long. I don't think I have ever played a 1 player game outside of franchise since it was created. (Season mode in other games before that GD97) As soon as I buy it, I like to turn the game on, set it to the hardest level & start the franchise. I know I will be horrible at it at first...this year especially. But I keep playing because I will learn how to play faster & more effectively. This, to me is fun & realistic because you start off bad & build your team's stats as the years go on. This year I have played 3 seasons & failed to reach 10 wins every season on Legend (2-14, 9-7, 9-7). But it keeps me coming back for more.

It relaxes me & gives me something to do for fun...even though I should be doing other constructive things. "At least I'm not coming home & drinking a six pack everyday.." is what I tell my fiance'. I've played Gameday, Madden, 2k, 10 Yd fight, John Elway and Joe Montana football every year since I was a child. As long as I could save up the cash, my mom would drive me to the mall to buy whatever I wanted. & it was always a football game, except for a Mortal Kombat here and a Zelda there. (you know what I mean, those are MUST-BUYS) Football games were all I was good at. Even today my friends test their skills by their results against me. Anything else...I get smoked...Bad.
We are a generation brought up by video games. There are many of us out there with a closet addiction to video games because it is the one thing that can still capture our imagination.

I agree, the imagination factor has a lot to do with it...for me too.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:11 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:

ftball11 said:
Quote:

onetonmartin said:

I agree, the imagination factor has a lot to do with it...for me too.

See, that's what VC has to do for us next year in FPM... it needs to make us IMAGINE that we are inside the helmet, and actually in the stadium. I mean, sure we are and stuff, but you don't even get to roam around after plays or something, and the FOV is too low... everything seems so far away. And the 2K2 crowd was the best... not the best looking, but they came more depending on the situation of the game, and they rose up or sat down depending on like... if you scored a touchdown. I would like to see the fans all be cheering for me and stuff, and be LOUD!

But still, I love FPM, and I love games just because...

And IF they didn't have a franchise-type mode, I wouldn't buy it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2003, 12:51 PM   #12
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Thats why I'm very much looking foward to the future and virtual reality games. They're comming soon...sooner than we think.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:37 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 7

For me, I love the challenge of making, as the say, chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. Every year in whatever spots game it is, I create a team. Then I fill them with scrubs from the other teams (kind of like a real expansion draft), create a couple of decent rookies, and go for it. Obviously, the first year(s) aren't too good but if you have a long term perspective it can be bearable. As you watch your guys progress and see your player and (this year) finacial decisions play out (both good and bad) you can really feel good about the process. That is the real challenge because at the end of the day the only competition is yourself. Let me tell you that when you have ownership of everything from the name of the coach to the team and stadium name, it makes the experience 10 times better than playing with a cuurent NFL team. As a matter of fact, I never watched football growing up even though I played Madden all those years. Video games got me into football, let me learn the game, and play with players you don't see everyday. I built franchises around RB Skip Hicks, QB Shaun King, and WR Jacquez Green before I ever found out they weren't superstar players in real life. Now those were some fun days...
Old 10-01-2003, 03:22 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 10

I just play because I enjoy football. I do prefer Head To Head playing the best, but alone is fine also. It is also a great stress relief. I don't have to think about work or any other crap that may be going on (if you know what I mean).
Old 10-01-2003, 04:37 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

Why I play? Because I'm to old and out of shape to go outside and play tackle football. When I was 12 I would play football in the local park no matter how cold. I'm 27 now and like football more than ever, but don't want to end up in a hospital.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2003, 04:53 PM   #16
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9

That's pretty much the way I like to do it. I can't stand ESPN's expansion logos & colors though.

Here's my take. Every year since I was a kid I have been my favorite, the Oakland Raiders. As the years went on the team became better & I felt there was not much room to grow...not much salary room either. So for the last few years I have made a list of the 6 worst teams in the league (IMO). I then go to pick-a-team screen and use the "random select" button as a process of elimination of who I will coach for my franchise. I just keep pushing it until it comes up on a team on the list, then I cross them off. As soon as I'm down to two, I chose the one I'd rather coach. This year I am the Bears (good D), last year the Texans, the year before that, the Panthers. To me it is like being offered 2 coaching jobs.

I would hope VC can implement something like this where you have an agent who brings you offers from other franchises as well as helps you with intelligence on coaching moves.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »