Home

He got...JACKED UP!!!!

This is a discussion on He got...JACKED UP!!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2003, 01:20 AM   #25
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: He got...JACKED UP!!!!

Quote:

500bloc said:
what time does Jacked Up come on?

Its not a show by itself...its a segment..a part of Monday Night Countdown.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2003, 01:44 AM   #26
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

Quote:

bubba4 said:
I think the NFL gets very nervous whenever they see hits like the one Muhammad suffered. I like good tough football, but to see ESPN glorifying hard hits seemed a bit over the top to me. The ESPN broadcast is known for its serious and informative analysis of games, and for the hosts to step outside of that with "JACKED-UP!!!" seemed weird to me. Those hits were probably an inch or 2 in bringing another Stingley incident into play. Football is a violent sport. And it scares the hell out of the suits in the NFL to see those hits. Someone will die on the gridiron one day. It's inevitable. I say show the hilites and compliment the players for good tough football... be thankful that no one is hurt... then move on to the next Sunday. I don't believe we need "JACKED-UP!!" segments to keep football square in our minds eye. I don't even think FOX would do that. ESPN is slipping, and they're reaching with some of the moves they make now.
Bubba4

Great post, Bubba4.

Its funny that the NFL is cringing at Violent hits or the glorification of Violent hits since the Violence is what attracts many to the sport. In a sense its like the league is being hypocritical. They won't crack down on ESPN for the "Jacked Up" segment because they know its good for ratings...it will have people watching the game the following week in hopes of seeing a Hit "worthy" of the "Jacked up" segment.

Its what the fans want...they want the violent hits and collisions...and the league knows this ...Its what fattens their pockets.

The league nowawadays with all these fines ultimately lead to players becoming timid or thinking too much instead of reacting and that could lead to them getting hurt more than anything else.

The game is too fast and competitive for a player to second guess what he's doing during a play. What is a guy supposed to do when he goes into the filmroom on Tuesday and the coach chews him out for not laying out a wr who came acrosss the middle and ended up scoring game winning td?...is he supposed to say "Well..Coach...I could have knocked him out but I didn't want to get fined"??

This is the NFL's Monster...this is the League's Frankenstein. Its okay for them to put their Monster on display every sunday for people to view and pay gladly to watch. But a Developer can't simulate this Monster in a videogame to make profit because the NFL feels it hurts their image??? You've got to be kidding me.

As for ESPN and the "Jacked Up" segment...I see nothing wrong with it and I doubt the league does either...otherwise they would have responded by now. Jacked Up is the latest in a long line of sports shows that glorify the violent hits of both NFL and College football. Its really a Higlight segment actually. Even CBS and Fox show the big hits of the games when they recap.

Old 10-23-2003, 02:30 PM   #27
Pro

bubba4's Arena

OVR: 6

I agree with your points Kanobi. I think having a segment called Jacked-UP! isn't necessarily a bad idea. It's just so odd to see ESPN coming up with this. The competition with FOX, CBS and HBO is fierce and it seems ESPN is bending/moving away from their usual formula.

For me the NFL is hypycritical as you say. They pay so much attention to defensive players leading with their helmets, and they never mention the offensive players who lower their heads and use it as a weapon against a defender. Football is a violent sport. And if anyone had the opportunity to be on the sideline at a College/Pro game, they would wonder why there weren't more mangled bodies on the field. It's ferocious out there. And to try and put a dress on certain players amid all the violence and chaos is pathetic. The NFL should recognize their game is what it is. It's organized chaos with endless train wrecks. People will get hurt. I do love a good hit, but I never want to see anyone carried off the field. But it's just impossible to stop things like that from happening.

When the hilites of big hits trump the scoring hilites, then the audience is being pandered to. If a big hit causes a fumble and directly affects the game, then maybe I'd get behind Jacked-Up a little bit more. As it is now, the networks are just giving the masses in the arena what they want. I imagine one day I will turn on ESPN and wonder if I'm watching "You Gotta See This!".
Bubba4
Old 10-23-2003, 06:37 PM   #28
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

bubba4 said:
I agree with your points Kanobi. I think having a segment called Jacked-UP! isn't necessarily a bad idea. It's just so odd to see ESPN coming up with this. The competition with FOX, CBS and HBO is fierce and it seems ESPN is bending/moving away from their usual formula.

For me the NFL is hypycritical as you say. They pay so much attention to defensive players leading with their helmets, and they never mention the offensive players who lower their heads and use it as a weapon against a defender. Football is a violent sport. And if anyone had the opportunity to be on the sideline at a College/Pro game, they would wonder why there weren't more mangled bodies on the field. It's ferocious out there. And to try and put a dress on certain players amid all the violence and chaos is pathetic. The NFL should recognize their game is what it is. It's organized chaos with endless train wrecks. People will get hurt. I do love a good hit, but I never want to see anyone carried off the field. But it's just impossible to stop things like that from happening.

When the hilites of big hits trump the scoring hilites, then the audience is being pandered to. If a big hit causes a fumble and directly affects the game, then maybe I'd get behind Jacked-Up a little bit more. As it is now, the networks are just giving the masses in the arena what they want. I imagine one day I will turn on ESPN and wonder if I'm watching "You Gotta See This!".
Bubba4

None of the hits on jacked up were hits where a person got hurt. The hits just look worst then they really are. Like when they showed donte' stallworth get his helmet knowcked off it looked like he was out but he just jumped back up. When they showed the mushin muhammad hit they told the people that he was alright afterward.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:43 AM   #29
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

lmao!!! Todd Heap got..JACKED UP!!! against denver on a hit by Al Wilson!! I hope VC has some Helmets come off next year.

There were alot more big hits yesterday. I'm definitely gonna check out Monday Night Countdown to see which Ones make the hitlist.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »