Home

This isn't a wishlist thread, but I wanted to know your opinions

This is a discussion on This isn't a wishlist thread, but I wanted to know your opinions within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2003, 01:39 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: This isn\'t a wishlist thread, but I wanted to know your opinions

I agree with you totally on every issue DV. If they can address these issues, next year's incarnation will be PERFECT IMO.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:48 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:

wwharton said:
I'll start by saying your last point is more important than many think. We're not talking about the 11th and 12th man in basketball games or the bench players in a baseball game. The 5th WR and 6th CB are usually pretty important special teams players so it's important to get them right.

Now back to your point before, LBz, I still disagree. When I'M controlling the player I know when I've tackled properly and when I haven't and I don't think I've ever gotten knocked off a tackle I KNEW I should make. If a guy's running full speed at me and is a power back I don't always count that, but this much I don't think you disagree with. You're talking about the CPU controlled players. I actually think the frequency of DBs making single tackles is about right. When a runner gets a head of steam and hits a DB the odds are in his favor. If he's behind the line and doesn't hit em with a stiff arm they usually go down. The only area in question IMO is with the LBs which is why I said the RBs breaking tackles isn't the problem it's the bad representation of LBs in the game.

OK I'll concede to that. A misrepresentation of linebackers in the game. You are correct, we want RB's to break tackles, but we want LB's to make tackles. Ricky Williams is Ricky Williams in the game. Unfortunately Ray Lewis is NOT Ray Lewis in the game. The problem here is this. ON offense the game is designed so that you are in control of one person, namely the guy with the ball. You don't have to worry about other people. On defense however, the game wants you to be everybody, because if you don't do it, the A.I isn't going to do it for you which is a big problem. You defensive line, if you don't play down there, you will always have them knocked 3 yds off the line of scrimmage almost every time. Your linebackers, if you don't take control of one of them and get out there on the toss, it is going to be wide open. You just can't do it all. As the commecial goes. "There is no I in team." "There aint no we either." LOL IT will get corrected though.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:28 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

I agree. However, even in the coach only mode, some very good linebackers miss taclkes WAY too often on Running Backs. Interesting enough, it is usually the Human LBs and not the CPU LBs. I had two games where my back (C. Dillon) barely got 80-100 yards a game (3.7 average) while Portis and George compiled over 500 yards on 60-70 carries. I almost went back to Madden. But I said I'd give it a shot, so I cranked up the tackling sliders for BOTH human and CPU by 7 clicks. Dillion still gets 4 YPC and so does the CPU. The RB still breaks tackles, but more realistic. I'm still searching for the right number, and I always adjust both CPU and human the same (assuming the game treats them as such ). Now I'm not sure I'll ever go back to Madden. This game has a few flaws, but it the best game I've ever played. I'd just once like to see a game come out that sliders didn't need adjusted. Now theres a concept.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:14 PM   #20
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Now we agree 100%, LBz. I've always said that's the problem. I like the concept. For basketball for example it makes you pay for just sitting in the key as the center and watching. In a way it also makes you pay in football for just rushing the QB every time or just sitting back in a zone as the safety, but there needs to be a closer balance. Like you said, Ray Lewis needs to be Ray Lewis. But screw that, that's too obvious. Zack Thomas needs to be Zack Thomas, Simmons needs to be Simmons, Urlacher needs to be Urlacher, etc. Basically the better backs need to play like them. Some fast but have a hard time getting off blocks, some powerful but have trouble moving laterally but all dominant.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »