Home

Good packages for stopping running plays/short passes?

This is a discussion on Good packages for stopping running plays/short passes? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2003, 12:24 AM   #1
*t's g*nn* b* L*g*nd*ry

jmw1137's Arena

OVR: 10
Good packages for stopping running plays/short passes?

I suck at running, which might also be why I suck at stopping the run. I am usually good up the middle, but any sweep to the outside I have a very hard time stopping. Once my opponent figures it out it seems like they stick with it...which I don't blame them for.

Not sure if it matters, but I'm usually the Raiders. Any suggestions for packages to contain the outside run? Also, I try to pick up the RB/HB when the QB fades back in case he is going for a short pass in the flats but if I guess the wrong way the HB/RB is going, they make the quick pass and I'm done.

Any suggestions for either of these would be appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2003, 07:08 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Good packages for stopping running plays/short passes?

Spread, spread, spread the LBs & D-line. Barton, Harris, and Romo aren't terrific run-stoppers, and you always need lots of gang-tackling. If Barton is alone on the outside against a half-decent RB (A-Train, TJ Duckett, or any power back,) the RB'll easily break the tackle every time. Usually, if you open up the line & LBs, you'll get Brayton or Grant in to help out, and they're strong enough to bring down the back. Telling your D-line to "fan" also helps contain the outside run. This opens up the inside, of course, but you can hope your opponent doesn't have the right audibles Parrella's a decent run-stuffer, though, so it'll be harder through the middle. I usually get hit harder on weak-side runs, though, since Buchanon's much easier to slip tackles against.

I almost never blitz my LBs/CBs, though -- any LB blitz ends up with my LBs in the backfield when the back's already swept to the outside, and CB blitzes are ineffectual for the most part. Safety blitzes can sometimes help, and relying on CWood/Buchanon/RWood to cover receivers while Gibson blitzes usually works well enough to defend against the pass. Also, if you've spread your line, then sometimes a safety blitz can help clean up in the middle.

And lastly, watch your formations. The 5-2 formation isn't bad, since then you get Cooper in the middle to allow you to spread further. I prefer that to Goalline because the Raiders don't have a Goalline fan for the d-line, which means that the back will make it to the outside and have only one safety to beat. 3-4 sometimes works, but the Raiders just don't have that many dominant tacklers at LB. I usually play a 4-3 man defense -- zone sometimes works, but since the front four never gets much pressure, it more often just means a good receiver will break wide open.

But anyways. This works against B-list backs, like the Edgerrin Jameses, the William Greens, and so on. I just can't stop guys like Tomlinson or Shaun Alexander consistently, but I figure neither can the real Raiders (Actually, the real Raiders can't even stop the Jerome Bettises of the world, so I should feel pretty good. )

And also, when I'm controlling the LB who's covering the RB, I usually let the CPU control the first several steps of the coverage, so that I don't have to guess direction? It works pretty well.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:19 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Damn. I am fairly new to this game and found a major flaw last night. I was always decent stopping the run. I have stopped williams, James, George, Faulk and bettis.(in the second half after I noticed that they are just gonna run). Last night I played The falcons. This guy ran with Dunn 9 outta 10 times. Tne Best stops I got were out of the PRevent....yep...The prevent. I was desperate and tried everything. I was using the Titans. I could put together a string of stops all game. .

I will be watching this thread to see what help is offered
Old 12-08-2003, 02:05 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

playing 5-2 is a bad idea. play 3-4 zones as that is the best method to stop outside runs although the middle is vulnerable somewhat. however, even that can be stopped to give your opponent minimal gains. note, do not blitz as you will take your players out of the play if you blitz in the wrong direction, sometimes blitzing might actually help stop the run, but i have found it risky and quite often results in big plays for your opponent. playing 3-4 zone with DL linemen to pinch in the play selection and then shift to the weakside of your opponents plays. use linebacker shift to the strong side. then use defensive shift to bring the strong safety down and control the free safety. when done within 3 seconds, it looks like you have 4 linemen and 5 linebackers all roaming around in zone. all thats left is to charge up your free safety and take the correct angle to stop the back which shouldnlt be too hard since you have 9 guys in the box lol. ya... thats how i stop power backs like ricky and george often. however, faulk and garner are just nuts as people will run sweeps and move in sharp angles that fools the computer A.I. to miss their tackles lol. what a joke. all you have to watch out for are the weakside tosses which you can stop if you take the right angle and play outside to force the runner back inside. usually, i can stop A-list backs like george, williams, to 2-3 yards a carry playing this style. however, you can stuff them cold if you play your safety more aggressively and instead of playing passive, take a sharper angle down to try to blow up the play. however, if you miss, a big play might arise for a TD as you are the last man left. remember, it is all about adjustments, if people are running up the middle, pinch the line and spread the linebackers while bringing your safety down. tip. dont do this in 4-3 as you will get burned if your one linebacker doesnt get the tackle, you will be up next to the safety in no time which might result in a missed tackle to TD. its quite hard explaining, but the most important advice i can give you is to be patient and to take GOOD angles with containment. it is okay to give up 2-5 yards a run than to try to do a desperation tackle that might miss and give up the big play. good luck.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »