Home

I HOPE THEY DONT CHANGE THE RUNNING GAME NEXT YEAR

This is a discussion on I HOPE THEY DONT CHANGE THE RUNNING GAME NEXT YEAR within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2004, 07:15 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
I HOPE THEY DONT CHANGE THE RUNNING GAME NEXT YEAR

Maybe just take out the head-on tackle slide to left animation . And the running game is perfect.

VC! You got a perfect running game! just take out that one animation! DONT RUIN THE RUNNING GAME NEXT YEAR. LEAVE IT ALONE VC!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: I HOPE THEY DONT CHANGE THE RUNNING GAME NEXT YEAR

The running game is fine as long as they take down most of the HB's speed a bit and increase the D's ability to tackle. But no doubt VC is FAR ahead of madden in terms of run blocking.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:15 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 7

Maybe it is just me, but I would rather hold a button down to sprint than repeatedly tap a button.

Oh yeah...make it so the game holds our controller config.

Aside from those two things, I think it is well done, albeit the RB's fall forward for yardage, or are rolled forward for yardage way more often than they should be.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:42 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Aside from those two things, I think it is well done, albeit the RB's fall forward for yardage, or are rolled forward for yardage way more often than they should be.

How can you say that? Whens the last time youve really seen a running back in the NFl completely stuffed the second he is hit without falling forward for at least some yardage?
Old 01-12-2004, 10:23 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:

mike06 said:

How can you say that? Whens the last time youve really seen a running back in the NFl completely stuffed the second he is hit without falling forward for at least some yardage?

It does happen sometimes. Just ask Jamal Lewis versus TN a week ago. Ughhh I hate to remember it. If somebody has an 8 or 9 man front and they have good defensive players, you aint going nowhere. Were the Titans that successful against everybody? Not really, because other teams had adequate passing attacks hence they couldn't stack the box. But since the Ravens passing game was in question, they decided to stack the box and stop the run and that's what they did. Doesn't mean I want them to "change" the running game per se. Just get the Dline to do better at occupying blockers and get the LB's to either flow faster or hit gaps faster and of course tackling, while not overly horrible could use a little work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2004, 03:15 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

It needs changed so I don't know WTF you all are talking about. I am able to average 10+ ypc so hell yeah they better fix it up. Let's see how strong ESPN's running game really is once the players on a swivel directional turning is resolved(which better be fixed). If you honestly think it's good now your crazy as hell cuz it's the most unrealistic issue in the game. This sh*t better be fixed along with the running animations in general.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:28 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

When's the last time you see a running back run full speed right after he gets the handoff
Old 01-13-2004, 04:47 PM   #8
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39

Nah, I would say that there are problems with the running game in ESPN NFL that must be changed or fixed. Everyone already knows about the pursuit angle problem on outside runs, so no need to go there again. But I want to go over a few other things.

First, for outside runs that has the FB and/or o-linemen pulling, the blocks set up too quickly in a way that you can mash on the speed button and often hit the hole with perfect timing, and it shouldn't be this way. Watch the Chiefs whenever they run their power sweeps near the goal line. Notice the speed at which Priest Holmes runs to the outside with a pulling OG and FB? When Priest arrives to the edge to look to turn the corner, he doesn't go anywhere near full speed until the OG and TE both seal their blocks, then Priest turns up the speed a notch while turning the corner. But in ESPN NFL it doesn't matter -- it's full speed away to the outside as soon as the RB takes the handoff, and the blocks are set up quickly without the RB having to show patience to see them actually develop. This is one of the main reasons how and why those "cheap" outside runs in ESPN NFL occur.

Plus there are problems like CPU LBs often failing to maintain contain responsibility and force a RB to turn inside, so you see them get caught inside often which gives the RB an open running lane outside the edge to burst through.

And finally, run blocking is too good in some instances, where defenders get taken to the ground without immediately getting back up, resulting to little to no backside pursuit to help stop runs to the outside. On a toss/sweep play where a RB is slowing down a bit looking for a hole to open up, there are times in an NFL or college football game when a d-lineman or LB in pursuit catch up and tackle the RB from behind. But when these defenders get taken down to the ground at rate that they do in ESPN NFL, this situation can't really happen. Sure these takedowns happens in real life, but this occurs way too frequently in ESPN NFL, where you can see like 3 or 4 defenders get knocked to the ground right away.

Kruza

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »