Home

ESPN 2k5: DVD Memory Expansion Idea

This is a discussion on ESPN 2k5: DVD Memory Expansion Idea within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 9
ESPN 2k5: DVD Memory Expansion Idea

This idea comes from a post that only1sheff had about Facial Mapping. It was mentioned in his thread that the DVD media that holds the game info would not have enough space on it to accommodate more individual faces throughout the game. I wonder how feasible it would be for Sega to start including TWO DVDs for their games. One DVD could be used to download all the graphic elements, sounds and appropriate rosters and stats. All of this information could be saved to the Xbox hard drive. Then, after all that info is copied, you pop in the actual game disk! This disk now works with all the information already on the Xbox hard drive, producing a gaming experience that is double the visual experience, listening experience, depth and most of all, fun! I don't know about you guys, but I would certainly consider spending $70 or $80 for a game that is leaps and bounds ahead of any game out there for this generation's consoles. Think about the boost in graphics on the SNES when Super Mario Bros first came out, and then Donkey Kong Country came out. HUGE difference. Same principal here.

What do you guys think? Is this something that is even possible?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2004, 08:22 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: ESPN 2k5: DVD Memory Expansion Idea

whoeva said they couldnt add all the facial mapping to game doesnt know what they're talking about. These DVD disc can hold a lot. Most games don't even use half of the disc.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

This idea would probably have better odds if ESPN 2K5 was XBox-exclusive. Since the PS2 does not (yet) have a hard drive, and also since even when it does not everyone will have it, VC would more than likely not do this for the PS2. Thus, VC would essentially have to develop two different titles, one for PS2 and one for XBox, in order to implement the idea on just the XBox title.

I also don't want ESPN becoming XBox-exclusive, since I have a PS2 and don't enjoy Madden.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:43 AM   #4
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

VC can put 2 logs of dog sh@t in a case with "ESPN NFL Football 2005" printed on the front & I would buy it.

2k4 was that good of a game.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:48 AM   #5
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

PrimeTime21 said:
whoeva said they couldnt add all the facial mapping to game doesnt know what they're talking about. These DVD disc can hold a lot. Most games don't even use half of the disc.

Yeah - it's a dual-layer DVD. There's room for plenty.

This issue here is not going to be disk space. In terms of hardware, it's graphics memory. There's only so much that can be in active graphics memory on the Xbox - individual detailed faces runs smack up against that limitation.

Also (and I believe we'll see this more and more) .... it's a matter of budget and time. It takes a ton of money and time (graphics are labor-intensive) to do stuff like that. VC doesn't have that kind of resources.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2004, 02:55 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:

fossen said: This issue here is not going to be disk space. In terms of hardware, it's graphics memory. There's only so much that can be in active graphics memory on the Xbox - individual detailed faces runs smack up against that limitation.

Also (and I believe we'll see this more and more) .... it's a matter of budget and time. It takes a ton of money and time (graphics are labor-intensive) to do stuff like that. VC doesn't have that kind of resources.

Hey Fossen,

I was told from a source that the Xbox is not even using 50% of its capabilities with the games that are being produced today. Specifically NFL2k4. If this is the case, and a new title MUST come out every August to stay competitive, I wonder if the need for an Xbox 2 will ever arise? Due to the fact that one year's worth of development time does not seem to be enough to really exploit the power the first Xbox has.

Opinion?
Old 02-24-2004, 05:32 PM   #7
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Dark_Lord_Vader said:
Quote:

fossen said: This issue here is not going to be disk space. In terms of hardware, it's graphics memory. There's only so much that can be in active graphics memory on the Xbox - individual detailed faces runs smack up against that limitation.

Hey Fossen,

I was told from a source that the Xbox is not even using 50% of its capabilities with the games that are being produced today. Specifically NFL2k4. If this is the case, and a new title MUST come out every August to stay competitive, I wonder if the need for an Xbox 2 will ever arise? Due to the fact that one year's worth of development time does not seem to be enough to really exploit the power the first Xbox has.

Opinion?

In terms of "capabilities", I wouldn't be suprised. When speaking of pure processing power, all the DirextX API calls (shaders, sourced lighting, etc.). But it's not just a blank check.

The capabilities you're talking about are rendering capabilities - think of the lighting in Splinter Cell, or explosions in HALO.

But for the detail you're talking about, the only solution is, essentially, prerendered bitmaps. That needs to be stored in RAM - there aren't a lot of ways around that.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:53 AM   #8
Banned

I see. Thanks for the info.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »