Home

. . .impending doom for 2k5?

This is a discussion on . . .impending doom for 2k5? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2004, 09:46 AM   #33
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: . . .impending doom for 2k5?

Quote:

wwharton said:
Quote:

D_MAC_604 said:
Quote:

gooberstabone said:
There is a lateral. You say you're tired of turnovers juking from right to left. That no doubt is your problem. As you're doing this, you're accidentally pulling both triggers.

That's how you lateral--by pulling both triggers!

Yea I know how to Lateral but if you pull left to right or right to left too fast it seem to lateral even tho I don't pull both...
I think if they make pressing the right analog button down to lateral It would be soo much better...
Or even use the other analog stick like B'ball sorta like Isomotion...
& bout the playbooks I just seem to like creating play with Madden better..

create a play is more important in madden b/c the playbooks are more limited and made up of fake plays to begin with. i feel for those that long for CAP in ESPN b/c mirroring NFL plays is what makes the teams play somewhat authentic styles. they still need to work on that a bit but it's nice to have real plays and huge playbooks to begin with.

This is a good point. Maddens playbooks were improved last year, but still need work.

The ESPN playbooks are better overall, but it seems to me some of that is canceled out in single-player games by the cpu's tendency to call the same plays for all teams. Play a game against last years Patriots, and you should expect to see lots of mult. wr sets. But when I play, they inevitably seem to spend way too much time in a two te, split back formation trying to pound the ball up the middle.

The other problem I have with ESPN playbooks is in conjunction with the historic teams. If your playing with an 80's Niners or Giants team, they should be playing a 3-4 defense. But because you can't pick seperate off. and def. playbooks, it's very difficult to find an appropriate playbook for those teams. This would be pretty easy to fix and would be greatly appreciated by those of us who like the "old-school" teams.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:46 PM   #34
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

coogrfan said:
Quote:

wwharton said:
Quote:

D_MAC_604 said:
Quote:

gooberstabone said:
There is a lateral. You say you're tired of turnovers juking from right to left. That no doubt is your problem. As you're doing this, you're accidentally pulling both triggers.

Yea I know how to Lateral but if you pull left to right or right to left too fast it seem to lateral even tho I don't pull both...
I think if they make pressing the right analog button down to lateral It would be soo much better...

create a play is more important in madden b/c the playbooks are more limited and made up of fake plays to begin with. i feel for those that long for CAP in ESPN b/c mirroring NFL plays is what makes the teams play somewhat authentic styles. they still need to work on that a bit but it's nice to have real plays and huge playbooks to begin with.

This is a good point. Maddens playbooks were improved last year, but still need work.

The ESPN playbooks are better overall, but it seems to me some of that is canceled out in single-player games by the cpu's tendency to call the same plays for all teams. Play a game against last years Patriots, and you should expect to see lots of mult. wr sets. But when I play, they inevitably seem to spend way too much time in a two te, split back formation trying to pound the ball up the middle.

The other problem I have with ESPN playbooks is in conjunction with the historic teams. If your playing with an 80's Niners or Giants team, they should be playing a 3-4 defense. But because you can't pick seperate off. and def. playbooks, it's very difficult to find an appropriate playbook for those teams. This would be pretty easy to fix and would be greatly appreciated by those of us who like the "old-school" teams.

Well the team tendencies (better in 2k2) need to be improved but the playbooks are there. That's really a seperate issue.

As for the old school teams I feel your pain and your suggestion would solve that problem. With that said, I wouldn't recommend too much more than that. I'd rather they work overtime on getting everything on the current teams right. BTW, being that I'm currently in an "Old School" league right now, there are many more issues with those old teams than that.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:59 PM   #35
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

Quote:

wwharton said:
Quote:

coogrfan said:
Quote:

wwharton said:
Quote:

D_MAC_604 said:
Quote:

gooberstabone said:

Well the team tendencies (better in 2k2) need to be improved but the playbooks are there. That's really a seperate issue.

As for the old school teams I feel your pain and your suggestion would solve that problem. With that said, I wouldn't recommend too much more than that. I'd rather they work overtime on getting everything on the current teams right. BTW, being that I'm currently in an "Old School" league right now, there are many more issues with those old teams than that.

You're probably right when you say VC would be better served working on other things, but wouldn't it be cool if they had a few era-specific playbooks(i.e. a 1960's playbook would have things like the Packers sweep and lots of running plays for fullbacks, 70's and 80's would have more three wr sets, the Redskins counter-trey, etc.) for use with the historic teams.

It won't happen, but a man can dream.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2004, 03:17 PM   #36
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Now actually that's a good idea. My main thinking was I don't have a problem with them not getting team specific playbooks for each classic team. As an example of a problem there the '00 ravens ran the 4-3 and the '04 ravens run the 3-4. Now luckily the ravens book has both but most teams don't so that creates some problems but I can deal with those problems with classic teams.

But the idea of ERA specific books is kind of cool. We know the game has changed over the years so there were sets and plays that were prominent in different eras and that would require what, 3 or 4 more books? That's a damn good potential solution.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:35 PM   #37
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

Yeah, team specific playbooks for individual historic teams is too much to ask. Can you imagine what a Landry-era Cowboys playbook would look like, with all the motion they used(and the o-linemen standing up and resetting before every play)? Not to mention the Flex defense. That's an awful lot of work for the VC design team.

But era-specific playbooks wouldn't be too difficult to implement, imo. Maybe next year.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:15 PM   #38
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

coogrfan said:
Yeah, team specific playbooks for individual historic teams is too much to ask. Can you imagine what a Landry-era Cowboys playbook would look like, with all the motion they used(and the o-linemen standing up and resetting before every play)? Not to mention the Flex defense. That's an awful lot of work for the VC design team.

But era-specific playbooks wouldn't be too difficult to implement, imo. Maybe next year.

Hopefully VC will take a serious look at this idea when the next gereneration systems roll around

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »