Home

I have a major question

This is a discussion on I have a major question within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2004, 07:30 PM   #1
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

OVR: 13
I have a major question

"Q: Will this year's game have player specific playing styles for example, will we be seeing Mike Vick run around the field and not spending much time in the pocket and will we be seeing Peyton Manning calling out audibles as he often does in real life? This is game is billed as an NFL simulator, the competition has these details I was wondering if this game will have player specific tendencies as well.

A: I don’t know how to answer this. I will say that comparing this game to the competition is completely unfair to the competition."

I got that from the Q and A at espnvideogame web site on gameplay focus, I know this is old but i was just readin it and was like what does he mean by this? Is it actually gona be like that or what? I would really like opinions on this thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: I have a major question

Id like to see player specific things such as Vick mobility used by CPU, Farve throwing off his back foot, I think side arm is in the game for Rivers and also Gannon, things like that add a lot to the game. I hope I posted this in the right thread.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:42 PM   #3
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

first the response...

basically its kind of annoying comparing everything to the comp (that goes for madden and espn). questions like "the comp has this so will your game?" don't really even deserve an answer. instead of being cold about it (like my response would seem) he made a joke. considering madden teams don't particularly play like the real NFL teams i think it also says something to the statement "the competition has this".

to answer YOUR question (the general one) the VIP system will have different VIPs for every coach in the league meaning teams should play like they would in real life or you can change their style by putting a coach on a different team. if this isn't good enough you can create VIPs yourself to make teams play like you think they should. if this works as advertised (and the FF video of it looks very promising) it'll be all that you're asking for and more.

whether or not this will go to the extent of Vick running and Peyton's audibling remains to be seen but it's funny that we want realism yet ask for what we see rather than realsitic situations. what i mean by that is Vick runs around a lot (or did) b/c he's not quite the best at reading NFL defenses just yet and has the ability to run like that to buy the time he needs. People want him to run around taking longer to throw the ball but I'm sure would have a fit if his read D rating was incredibly low... not to mention after a few years now he's certainly gotten better at this and I'd expect to see him in the pocket more to reflect this.

The other example is with Peyton who is not Jim Kelly. A lot of time Peyton is changing a called pass to a run or vice versa or executing a previously determined WR hot route based on a few options. Not to mention that MOST of the time he's only faking to throw off the D. How do you put this in a videogame? The CPU should second guess the CPU's call? if the play looks like it won't work the CPU will audible but it should more if it's Manning? I don't know. Individual specific behaviors like this I don't see being in a game for some time. The amount of extra programming needed for a small few players seems to be too much to ask for at this point.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:47 PM   #4
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

Quote:

wwharton said:
first the response...

basically its kind of annoying comparing everything to the comp (that goes for madden and espn). questions like "the comp has this so will your game?" don't really even deserve an answer. instead of being cold about it (like my response would seem) he made a joke. considering madden teams don't particularly play like the real NFL teams i think it also says something to the statement "the competition has this".

to answer YOUR question (the general one) the VIP system will have different VIPs for every coach in the league meaning teams should play like they would in real life or you can change their style by putting a coach on a different team. if this isn't good enough you can create VIPs yourself to make teams play like you think they should. if this works as advertised (and the FF video of it looks very promising) it'll be all that you're asking for and more.

whether or not this will go to the extent of Vick running and Peyton's audibling remains to be seen but it's funny that we want realism yet ask for what we see rather than realsitic situations. what i mean by that is Vick runs around a lot (or did) b/c he's not quite the best at reading NFL defenses just yet and has the ability to run like that to buy the time he needs. People want him to run around taking longer to throw the ball but I'm sure would have a fit if his read D rating was incredibly low... not to mention after a few years now he's certainly gotten better at this and I'd expect to see him in the pocket more to reflect this.

The other example is with Peyton who is not Jim Kelly. A lot of time Peyton is changing a called pass to a run or vice versa or executing a previously determined WR hot route based on a few options. Not to mention that MOST of the time he's only faking to throw off the D. How do you put this in a videogame? The CPU should second guess the CPU's call? if the play looks like it won't work the CPU will audible but it should more if it's Manning? I don't know. Individual specific behaviors like this I don't see being in a game for some time. The amount of extra programming needed for a small few players seems to be too much to ask for at this point.

thanks for ur reponse it makes more sense now
Old 07-10-2004, 07:53 PM   #5
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

I got another question this one i hope to ask steve after he plays the game, referes. They would get in the way sometimes. I hate this they stop my recievers form catching the ball and no penalt is called, what? i hope something is done about this becuase it plaques epsn and madden especially madden
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2004, 07:53 PM   #6
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

slightly OT

one of the things i do is PURPOSELY call up the audible screen then back out..but the QB still barks a cadence so it LOOKS like i just audibled

another great thing about ESPN 2k(x)
Old 07-10-2004, 07:54 PM   #7
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

no problem. maybe a hardcore madden fan can prove me wrong about the manning thing, that's just an educated guess.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:

marshallfever said:
"Q: Will this year's game have player specific playing styles for example, will we be seeing Mike Vick run around the field and not spending much time in the pocket and will we be seeing Peyton Manning calling out audibles as he often does in real life? This is game is billed as an NFL simulator, the competition has these details I was wondering if this game will have player specific tendencies as well.

A: I don’t know how to answer this. I will say that comparing this game to the competition is completely unfair to the competition."

I got that from the Q and A at espnvideogame web site on gameplay focus, I know this is old but i was just readin it and was like what does he mean by this? Is it actually gona be like that or what? I would really like opinions on this thanks

I read the same review and to start off with I believe that reply he gave was in humor you know being sarcastic,just kiddin' around. I believe that they(VC) believe their game is so good that it would be unfair to compare them to the competition.

With that said how you use Vick is up to the user of course I'd like to believe they've included his attributes to reflect his gameplay tendecies thus making his capeble of pulling off such skills and moves he uses in real life,if your controlling him then you should be able to do it.

But again as stated in the review Vick is still new to the NFL in terms of figuring out his unique style and the reviewer pointed this out if you've read all the reviews at that site,will he run or will he throw is not something I believe they pre-programed in the ratings which is what I think he was eluding to...yes Vick has the skills but do you know what to do with them and can you actually predict when and if he'll be needed to do his scramble thing once the heat starts to turn up?

Thats something that I'd think only the user would be able to answer,you know what Vick can do are you skilled enough to play him through it? Every play can have a unique set of circumstances and no one can really predict a final outcome but from what I've been reading and how I interped it is that it depends on how you use and handle him according to the site review he should perform like Vick but what he actually does is up to you, he is able to perform just handle him and let him do the his Vick thing remember you're in control of Vick so handle him, on the other hand I hope the gameplays AI is aware of his play tendecies and thus executes them according to the code and gameplay programs incorperated in the games code for player tendecies and teams gameplay tendecies. I'm not an expert but thats how I've understood it. Just my.02 cents worth.

Holla Back
Rickster101

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »