Home

Defending the Pass... HELP

This is a discussion on Defending the Pass... HELP within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2004, 09:28 PM   #1
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8
Defending the Pass... HELP

Long time madden player here, new to ESPN. Let me just say that I am in awe of ESPN, just a great game. But one thing that is just killing me is my pass defense. I am playing on All Pro and am competitive in every aspect of the game except my secondary just keeps getting shredded. Zone defense just seems worthless to me.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have any good tips?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2004, 09:33 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Defending the Pass... HELP

let the offense choose the play first. Then look at the offense formation. Then choose your play to combat that formation.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:54 PM   #3
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

Yeah, i'm already doing that. By the way, that's a wonderful difference btw madden and espn. I always thought it would be ridiculous in madden that you could pick a 4-3/3-4 on first down and have the computer come out with 4 wide. There is no way you could be tipped off of what personel the other team was bringing on the field.

I should have also mentioned, i've been playing and practicing on slow in order to try and get better reaction time to the ball on defense, but it still isn't making any drastic difference.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:00 PM   #4
MVP

hit the white button instead of the y button. The y button is random and the white button always goes for the knock down and the black button is for ints
Old 07-23-2004, 10:03 PM   #5
cub
MVP

OVR: 7

I'm having a lot of trouble defending the pass too. I'll have someone triple-covered (literally surrounded by defenders), and the WR will still just grab the ball like there's no one around him and take off down the field.

Of course it could just be a matchup thing. I'm playing as the Chiefs (all-pro), and the Titans and Rams were completely impossible to defend on pass defense. I could run a dime and double-cover everyone, and it didn't seem to matter - especially on 3rd and long.

Maybe taking control of the DBs myself would help... but I've got a feeling I would just mess it up worse.

Still... I won both games on the final play, so I guess it can't be that bad. Is it just that the Chiefs' pass defense is nonexistant?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2004, 10:14 PM   #6
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

Thats interesting. I didn't know that about the Y button. What about the L or R triggers? For some reason I thought they were for swatting or intercepting the ball, not the white and black buttons. I'll have to go check my manual.

I have the same problem with double or triple coverage. The qb can throw to a guy in a zone with three people and the receiver always gets the ball. If I don't switch to the defender, the receiver gets the ball every time. If I do switch, I usually make things worse.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:18 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

use a man defence on obvious pass play helps and of couse pressure on the qb. hey if you give any qb in the nfl time he will make a play unless he just sucks. so dont let the man have all the time and if you have good db decent coverage ability and good enough speed. try the bump and run and rush the qb you will get good results doing this. the routes are slower to develope and it doesnt give the qb enough time to make good reads
Old 07-23-2004, 10:29 PM   #8
cub
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:

hotadef said:
use a man defence on obvious pass play helps and of couse pressure on the qb. hey if you give any qb in the nfl time he will make a play unless he just sucks. so dont let the man have all the time and if you have good db decent coverage ability and good enough speed. try the bump and run and rush the qb you will get good results doing this. the routes are slower to develope and it doesnt give the qb enough time to make good reads

Maybe I should blitz some DBs.

Getting to the QB with the Chiefs linemen is very tough. Their highest-rated pass rusher is a 72! I've played three games, every down I used the best defensive end and rushed the QB, and I have one sack TOTAL in those three games. I have one other play where the guy was forced to hold me to prevent a sack. That's it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »