Home

Quite Frustrated

This is a discussion on Quite Frustrated within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2004, 10:43 PM   #17
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Quite Frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
Run blocking, like everything else in 2K5, is tied to in-game momentum swings. Once you get up by 2+ scores, your lineman don't block worth a shyte. Period. Nothing you can do about it. I'm running a bunch of situational tests to verify this and I'm almost done, but if you want a sneak peak, go to situatuon mode and run various run plays against any mid-level D, and mess around with the scores. If you set the score as you being down by 14, 1st quarter, your run game will be very successful(unless you absolutely stink) For laughs, change the score and situation to 5 min left in the 4th quarter, and your team UP by 17 pts. Try that situation 10 times and you'll be lucky to get a first down on the ground twice.

The momentum swings' affects on the ratings are tied to big plays(TD's, failed 4th down conversions, turnovers) and 2 score differentials(9+ pts). The severity is dependent on composure, leadership, aggressiveness and consistency ratings for each player.

In theory this system is brilliant, and it makes for great back-and-forth battles, but once you begin to recognize when it kicks in, it becomes waaaaay too predictable. This "emotional" boost wreaks HAAVOK on the DB AI. 98% of the bad reads, plays and animations are perpetrated by DB's with a 2 score lead.

Full story tommorrow.
Momentum swings huh? I've heard of this before but wasn't aware that the boys over at VC implemented any such feature, so please do confirm and expand on this more when you do comeback tommorrow.

Holla Back ya'll
Old 08-05-2004, 10:43 PM   #18
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
I didn't even know they had real life momentum swings in this game. *shrugs and goes to play the game*

Yeah, this game has rubberband AI. The only way there is ever a blowout is when the losing QB throws a bunch of picks. Watch how many times you easily get up by 14 pts on the CPU, and watch how often the CPU comes storming back on big plays off blown coverages.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:05 PM   #19
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster101
Momentum swings huh? I've heard of this before but wasn't aware that the boys over at VC implemented any such feature, so please do confirm and expand on this more when you do comeback tommarow.

Holla Back ya'll

Its actually quite genius, but it can be frustrating as hell once you recognize it. On paper. its one of the most innovative tools I've ever seen to simulate the ups and downs of an actual NFL game. Whereas Maddens comeback AI was single-minded, and very obvious, (bad fumbles and dropped passes in the last minute of a game)ESPN's is based on actual mental ratings AND they take place throughout the game, after any big play. Its very ironic that EA based its entire NCAA marketing push on the HFA affects on players attributes, and ESPN has the exact same system in place, its actually tied to player ratings in 4 different categories, AND it affects every player, not just skill positions. Score one for the brilliance of the EA marketing machine.

Anyway, when the "swing" hits, the losing teams performance is greatly enhanced. Its not insurmountable, if your playing a human opponent or team that you greatly outmatch, the mo-swing won't even things up enough to overcome the disparity. But for close matchups and skill levels, the swing guarantees the score stays relatively close. The frustration comes in when you drop two scores on a buddy, and all of a sudden your run game gets nearly turned completely off. All of a sudden your DB's are the freaking Keystone Cops, bumping into each other and making horrendous reads..EVEN IF YOU CALL THE RIGHT COVERAGES. Again, the O-line and DB's of the winning team take the biggest hit.

Thank God for situation mode, because it would be a nightmare trying to test this in a regular game...
Old 08-05-2004, 11:19 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 6

I've seen a major comeback once, but I've also managed to blow away the CPU team. During my first game of the season, I took a 21-3 lead into halftime, only to see them come back and actually take the lead at one point. I ended up winning 36-31 in OT. However, in my 2nd game I completely destroyed the Rams with my Saints. I beat them 34-7 and held Holt to only 3 catches for barely 50 yards.

Back to the original discussion, as far as the running game, try learning with a power back like Deuce, Jamal Lewis, etc. Learn to follow your fullback and pulling guard/tackles on sweeps, misdirections, etc. If you start tapping speed burst as soon as you get the ball, you'll fly right by your blockers before they even engage. Be patient and let the holes open up, power up your runner, then shoulder charge the LB or DB that is trying to tackle you. Most of the time this will get you an additional 5 yards, if not help you break a long run. It can be tempting to do it all on your own, but amazingly enough your guys DO block. Even the lowly WR do a pretty decent job at times.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:28 AM   #21
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDog
However, in my 2nd game I completely destroyed the Rams with my Saints. I beat them 34-7 and held Holt to only 3 catches for barely 50 yards.

How many picks did you have?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2004, 08:07 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I put in some practice time last night trying to see if charging up would slow my HB down long enough for the blockers to engage. It worked a bit. I mean, I had a string of 5 yd runs and even an 11 yd run. This was in practice though running the same play vs. various cpu selected defenses so...

One thing I will HAVE TO work on is slowing up when running. It's not the speed burst with me because I don't even use it unless I'm in the open with a WR with a step on a DBack. It's that I don't feather the stick. It's embedded in me to go ahead and jam forward on that stick and it feels weird to pull up off of it. Looks like I'm not gonna get this sh*t trying to play games. I guess I'll be confined to practice mode for the majority of the day.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:47 AM   #23
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Nolefan I was like you and couldn't run the ball at first. Maybe I stink but I don't think you are going to improve much as I didn't either with more games. The game is skewed to power backs imo as undersized backs struggle up the middle. I'm no good with the right juke and charge my player as well. I know you don't want to mess with the sliders but try DanSF49's as they are really good. It improves the running game but 2K5 is too extreme in my opinion. Bad rushing attacks get near nothing while great ones can run for over 300 yards.

I've used the practice mode to check things out. I took the Dolphins with Ricky and ran Strong I Iso (off the guard) with Ricky against random Philly defenses. When I ran behind LG Jeno James I averaged 5 yards a pop and even broke some big ones. I think he was going against Darwin Walker who rarely made a play to keep me to 2 yards or less (ran this about a dozen times). Then I run to the right behind Vernon Carey against Corey Simon and of 10 runs every one was 0 to 2 yards. Not a single decent gain. Granted, we should expect Simon to win but every time?

There isn't enough variation in the outcomes of matchups and the differences between the good and bad players is too exagerated this year. I like the game but am slightly disappointed and frustrated with some things this year. It also seems as though outside running is easier than inside (certainly for speedy backs). One problem is that the guards and tackles pull too slow this year. Counters worked a lot better in 2K4 and suck this year. I don't think a perfect set of sliders exist for running the ball, even for individuals as things are too extreme based on the team you use.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:53 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 17

With a speed and undersized running back you can occasionally go up the middle it just might get you a big play less often than going around.

I use micheal bennet as my running back, so far, and I cannot stress how with speed backs the right thumbstick is neccesary. I didn't like it at first and just used the normal controls and I couldn't run the ball worth crap. Finally I decided to try and and OMG it works wonders. I would highly recommend this for speed runners.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »