Home

several problems with espn

This is a discussion on several problems with espn within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2004, 02:27 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
several problems with espn

i love this game but i am a stickler for detail and i found several things that espn needs to fix.

first off is the player progression. it almost ruins the franchise mode for me. it seems they based the progression on season stats, and if you only play 5 or 7 minute quaters is naturally going to be much lower than real life, particuarlly on the defensive side of the ball. there is no way a linebacker can get like 100-120 tackles in a season. its closer to like 50 or 60. and as a result after one season your players drop dramatically in rating. im playing as the giants and carlos emmons went from like an 80 to like 68 in one season. im sorry but that isnt acceptable. my other linebackers dropped as well. will allen and will peterson are two of the better young corners in the league, but both dropped dramatically as well. will allen went from an 85 to a 78. will peterson went from an 80 to a 74. how are you supposed to build a team when your players get worse every single year? the ONLY way a player should drop in rating is if hes past his prime, and even then it should only be a couple points a year. young players should never get worse. unless they get injured and miss a whole season of development. young players dont develop either. william joseph, chris gamble, jordan gross, teddy lehman (i know they arent all on the team but i traded for them) all stayed exactly the same from one season to the next. how am i supposed to build a team when i have players who havent even reached their prime getting worse and young players not developing? like i said, it makes the franchise mode almost unplayable.

second problem i have is with trading. trading in the nfl should be very very very tough to do. and in the game it is way to easy. the cpu doesnt seem to
A) consider their team needs when making trades.
B) consider player potential. and
C.) look for fair value.
like i said before, i had chris gamble and jordan gross that is because i traded kurt warner and a 4th round pick for both of them. NEVER would happen in real life. jordan gross was the top tackle taken in 2003. and everyone knows chris gamble's story. not to mention the panthers are fine with jake delome. i could see maybe if he was having a horrible year and the panthers needed another qb to make the playoffs, but even so, gamble or gross alone would be WAY too high of a price for an old washed up quaterback. not to mention they would fill a hole at qb, but create another one at tackle. trading for young players is just way to easy in general. right off the bat you can trade your second round pick to the saints for will smith, who was just a mid-first rounder this year. that doesnt make any sense does it? a secound round pick for a mid-first rounder? they really really need to fix it for next year.

and getting back to my original point that trading is very very hard in the nfl. heres why. when a team gives a player a signing bonus, it gets paid to that player all right up front. but in terms of the cap, it gets divided up over the number of years of the contract. that means if a team wants to cut or trade a player, they need to take a cap hit equal to the remaining singing bonus that hasnt been counted. to give an example, larry fitzgerald got a 20 million dollar signing bonus for a 6 year contract. that means it counts towards the cap as 3.33 million a year. and that also means if the cardinals want to trade fitzgerald, they would have to eat that 20 million all in one season. to simply state it, with about a 75 million dollar salary cap, the cardinals would have to take a 20 million dollar cap hit to trade him and that means they would have to opperate with a payroll of only 55 million. NO chance that would ever happen. they would have to cut like half their team to make that happen. and nothing you could offer them would make them do that. so basically players like fitzgerald, as well as many other high draft picks, are basically untrade able. yet i was able to easily trade ike hilliard and a 7th round pick for him. and that gets back to what i was saying about the cpu taking trades with unequal value.

now in the game you do take some kinda cap hit for making trades, but i dont know how it works, its definatly not the full amount of the remaining singing bonus, and it doesnt stop you from easily pulling off trades. so basically in real life trades only happen, when
A.) the cap hits are reasonable
B.) the team is looking to trade a player (if your tryin to get a player that the team wants to keep, they would almost always have a high asking price, usually more than that player is worth.) and
C.) they only make a trade if it doesnt create another hole.
look at the portis trade, the skins werent left with a hole cause they got sean springs, and the broncos felt confident with their ablility to sub anyone into the running back spot and have em be successful. so basically it worked out for both teams, but this is definatly the exception, not the rule.

lets hope sega takes a closer look at these areas next year. ok there are other things i could talk about but i think this post is long enough. thanks.

Last edited by giantsg7; 08-13-2004 at 02:42 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2004, 02:34 AM   #2
Th* ******

Spectre's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: several problems with espn

Could you please format your post into paragraphs?

I want to read it but can't focus on that.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:39 AM   #3
Rookie

lol
Old 08-13-2004, 02:48 AM   #4
All Star

nkhera1's Arena

OVR: 16

good points. It is too easy to trade. Just to show you here is a trade i made. Keyshawn johnson and this years and next years first round pick for anquan boldin and larry fitzgerald. no way that trade happens in real life.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:52 AM   #5
Rookie

ya that i know that wouldnt happen, but how bout the trade they accepted from me....ike hilliard and a 7th round pick... phew, that gm would get fired in a heartbeat if he made that trade. not to mention trading fitzgerald would be impossible finacially because of his sining bonus.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »