Home

Badly in need of some tips on rushing

This is a discussion on Badly in need of some tips on rushing within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2004, 03:58 AM   #1
MVP

funky_chicken's Arena

OVR: 37
Badly in need of some tips on rushing

First off let me apologize if this has been asked before. I did a search and couldn't find tips on rushing so I am going to go ahead and ask. I usually average between 2.5 to 3 yards a carry a game. I usually will get between 1-4 yards per carry with the occasional 10 to 12 yard scamper but I have never broken a long run. I hit the A button when I hit the hole. I noticed if you try to sit back and pick the hole or wait for the hole to develop you get clobbered. Maybe I am doing things all wrong but I seriously needs some tips on being a more effective rusher.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2004, 04:23 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Badly in need of some tips on rushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky_chicken
First off let me apologize if this has been asked before. I did a search and couldn't find tips on rushing so I am going to go ahead and ask. I usually average between 2.5 to 3 yards a carry a game. I usually will get between 1-4 yards per carry with the occasional 10 to 12 yard scamper but I have never broken a long run. I hit the A button when I hit the hole. I noticed if you try to sit back and pick the hole or wait for the hole to develop you get clobbered. Maybe I am doing things all wrong but I seriously needs some tips on being a more effective rusher.
I know what you mean...I'm not that great at rushing either. My biggest problem is that I jam on the speed burst button WAY too soon. I did a little observing of the CPU in practice mode and noticed that it only turns on the button-mashing full-speed jets (in other words, you see him raise his head while running) when it has SERIOUS daylight. When I say serious, I mean past the line and nothing but green in front. Of course this frees it up to do whatever special moves as it sees fit to get through the line, depending on the back's running style. I found this very interesting, because I usually try to model my game based on what the CPU does.

I'm laying off the full-speed now, and I'm noticing that the blocks seem to set up better and I have much more control of my back. Beyond that.....the game gives you so many different moves to do, charged or not, that it's just a matter of finding which ones work best for your running back. Running some plays in practice mode will help a lot too, to learn the blocking patterns if nothing else. It is hard though....don't expect to break a ton of long runs - unless you're playing on rookie, that is.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:40 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I know what you mean...I'm not that great at rushing either. My biggest problem is that I jam on the speed burst button WAY too soon. I did a little observing of the CPU in practice mode and noticed that it only turns on the button-mashing full-speed jets (in other words, you see him raise his head while running) when it has SERIOUS daylight. When I say serious, I mean past the line and nothing but green in front. Of course this frees it up to do whatever special moves as it sees fit to get through the line, depending on the back's running style. I found this very interesting, because I usually try to model my game based on what the CPU does.

I'm laying off the full-speed now, and I'm noticing that the blocks seem to set up better and I have much more control of my back. Beyond that.....the game gives you so many different moves to do, charged or not, that it's just a matter of finding which ones work best for your running back. Running some plays in practice mode will help a lot too, to learn the blocking patterns if nothing else. It is hard though....don't expect to break a ton of long runs - unless you're playing on rookie, that is.
I can't run for **** either. I broke a 12 yarder today with Jones of Detroit and about died with joy.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:54 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

I put my receivers and tightends in motion to help block on running plays. If the side you're running on is stacked hit the "y" button (xbox) and then click down on the right analog stick and the play will run to the other side w/o your players switching sides and letting them know you changed the side the play runs on. Then if you have enough time motion a receiver or TE to help block block that side. Also try running and passing out of the same formation. After doing that you'll notice they won't stack the line against the run so much. Plus go into practice mode and see if your running back fairs better using power moves or finesse moves. Finesse backs will get tackled if you try power moves and vise versa with power backs. After you learn that it will make your running game a lot easier. You also have to take in consideration that running backs with high break tackle ratings don't have to do moves all the time to break tackles. They'll sometimes do moves automatically to break tackles w/o you doing anything except moving the left analog stick in the direction you want to run in. Your best bet is to go to practice mode and practice practice practice.

I hope this helps a little
Old 08-23-2004, 12:06 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6

Use the "Y" button if you have a power back or use a juke move if you have a finese runner. If that doesn't work go to sliders and move Human Blocking one click to the right and CPU Pursuit one click to the left. If this doesn't help move Human Running one click to the right and CPU Tackling one click to the left. This should help your running game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2004, 12:27 PM   #6
MVP

funky_chicken's Arena

OVR: 37

Thanks for the tips guys. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who isn't a great rusher. By the way I am playing on All-Pro. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:34 PM   #7
Banned

bigmark's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky_chicken
I've wisely gotten into the habbit of not hitting speed burst until the open field, but I still struggle. Averaged barely 3.0YPC in my first season, and only had one game w/ Travis Henry getting 100+ yards; and that doesn't really count cause it was against the Browns.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:42 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 6

I've also found that different people might have more or less success with different plays. I HIGHLY recommend playing around in the practice mode to try out plays to find the ones you like.

For example, I prefer dives for up the middle and tosses to the outside. ISOs are great, too. Every once in a while I'll throw in a counter. Traps never seem to work well consistently enough for my tastes. But everyone plays differently. Can't say it enough....practice mode rocks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »