Home

A notable FWIW on ESPN sales

This is a discussion on A notable FWIW on ESPN sales within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2004, 03:11 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
A notable FWIW on ESPN sales

This is taken from the ESPN videogames board. It definitely falls under hearsay for now-- it's not conclusive what one gamestop clerk has to say, but I think it does raise a few eyebrows:

Quote:
I was at Gamestop yesterday buying a second Xbox stick. Just for kicks I ask the store clerk how was Madden selling against ESPN. He said ESPN sells quicker then Madden. I had a strange look on my face, I told him that's not what the EA site say. He told me he knew about the 1.3 million copies sold thing. An that was true, but what EA don't tell you is that store have order 1.3 million copies, that don't mean there sold. He then said they have about 10 of ESPN copies on PS2 and about 16 on Xbox. When it came to Madden they had 40 on PS2 and 60 on Xbox. So I ask him was EA lying, he said "No, they sold us GameStops and other places like Best Buys, Wal-Mart 1.3 million copies. They have their money, we don't sell the game and give them money, store retailers buy the game up front then try to make your money back. That's the problem were having." He said Madden is moving slower then it's ever due to ESPN. An that game retailers wish ESPN had sold their game for $50, because at $20 they have to keep re-ordering copies. He then said "I sure you want see no more numbers higher then 1.3million, because don't store need anymore."
http://www.espnvideogames.com/commun...=37527&start=0
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: A notable FWIW on ESPN sales

Well I was in EB this weekend also and I noticed that it was 10 copies of Madden that were for sale and 3 copies of ESPN for pre-sale on the shelve for the XBOX version so that kinda tells you something. Did'nt check the PS2.

The top sold games from EB last week are in this order.

1. Madden Collectors Edition
2. ESPN NFL
3. Madden 2005 (regular)

Out of all the Madden copies I saw, I did'nt see one collectors edition returned.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: A notable FWIW on ESPN sales

EA had to do something to try and save face. I feel sorry for all those stores that bought all those extra copies of Madden hoping they were going to fly off the shelves. EA got their money up front and claim record sales but stores are stuck with copies that may not sell unless they lower the price. One thing you won't be hearing about anymore records being broken until these stores get rid of their initial shipment.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »