Home

Draft tips, faqs?

This is a discussion on Draft tips, faqs? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2004, 09:44 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Draft tips, faqs?

Hi iam new to the ESPN, its my first year playing anyways i was just wondering if there is any place I can find good tips on how to scout for the draft... I have the very first pick in my Arizona cardinals franchise and I don't want to blow it.. tnx
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2004, 12:02 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Draft tips, faqs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomER
Hi iam new to the ESPN, its my first year playing anyways i was just wondering if there is any place I can find good tips on how to scout for the draft... I have the very first pick in my Arizona cardinals franchise and I don't want to blow it.. tnx

Well, it is cheating, but you can always go into the rookie report, and press "A" and edit the player. You could then look at his stats.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a ttoal jmulbe and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

amzanig huh?
Old 09-20-2004, 03:28 PM   #3
Rookie

lol I started doing that. seems that every year i'd draft someone that sounded decent, and he never improved. So now I started editing the rookies and either picking one that sounds good, or tweaking one to my liking.

Now without cheating, here's how I decide who to draft...

First, I decide on what position. Let's say I want a CB. I look at the big board of rookie CB's and sort by 40 yard time, from fastest to slowest. Then, I look at the ones with the fastest shuttle times. So in theory, a CB with a good 40 time and a good shuttle time should be fast and agile .. two things you want from a CB. From there, I'll look at their bench press, and rule out the super low ones. I look at their GPA too, cuz I think the smarter they are, the quicker they progress. That's just my thought, though. No idea how GPA affects a player.

So, I take the top 4 or so that meet my criteria, and give them 1 hour of scouting each. If a CB gets a good review from the 1 hour he was assigned, I'll go ahead and give him 2 more hours to get the full report. If a CB got a bad review, then I ignore him. The 2nd day I either assign 2 hours to CB's that got a good report in Day 1, or give 1 hour each to 2 or 3 new CB's and see how they turn out. With Days 3 and 4, I just repeat the process. Ideally, I'll have wanted to give a full 3 hours to 4 CB's, and I draft the best one.

Now, I'm not using ALL my hours looking at CB's, so at the same time, I'm doing this same process with a WR or DE or whatever other position I want. Give a handful of players 1 hour, if they sound good give them 2 more, and if they suck just ignore them and give 1 hour to a few new ones.

With WR's for example, I'll sort by 40 time from fastest to slowest. Then, I look at which ones have the best hands (3 or better rating). So now I have a feel for the fast WR's that can catch. From there, the ones with a decent bench and shuttle rating get 1 hour each. After Day 1, the ones with good results get 2 more hours, and the bad ones get ignored. I go back to the list of WR's, and pick a few more to give 1 hour to. Repeat the process till you run out of time.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:32 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertekal
lol I started doing that. seems that every year i'd draft someone that sounded decent, and he never improved. So now I started editing the rookies and either picking one that sounds good, or tweaking one to my liking.

Now without cheating, here's how I decide who to draft...

First, I decide on what position. Let's say I want a CB. I look at the big board of rookie CB's and sort by 40 yard time, from fastest to slowest. Then, I look at the ones with the fastest shuttle times. So in theory, a CB with a good 40 time and a good shuttle time should be fast and agile .. two things you want from a CB. From there, I'll look at their bench press, and rule out the super low ones. I look at their GPA too, cuz I think the smarter they are, the quicker they progress. That's just my thought, though. No idea how GPA affects a player.

So, I take the top 4 or so that meet my criteria, and give them 1 hour of scouting each. If a CB gets a good review from the 1 hour he was assigned, I'll go ahead and give him 2 more hours to get the full report. If a CB got a bad review, then I ignore him. The 2nd day I either assign 2 hours to CB's that got a good report in Day 1, or give 1 hour each to 2 or 3 new CB's and see how they turn out. With Days 3 and 4, I just repeat the process. Ideally, I'll have wanted to give a full 3 hours to 4 CB's, and I draft the best one.

Now, I'm not using ALL my hours looking at CB's, so at the same time, I'm doing this same process with a WR or DE or whatever other position I want. Give a handful of players 1 hour, if they sound good give them 2 more, and if they suck just ignore them and give 1 hour to a few new ones.

With WR's for example, I'll sort by 40 time from fastest to slowest. Then, I look at which ones have the best hands (3 or better rating). So now I have a feel for the fast WR's that can catch. From there, the ones with a decent bench and shuttle rating get 1 hour each. After Day 1, the ones with good results get 2 more hours, and the bad ones get ignored. I go back to the list of WR's, and pick a few more to give 1 hour to. Repeat the process till you run out of time.

Just a mention...the OP's requirements may be different based on the makeup of his team. Maybe he wants a WR that has better hands than speed, or a TE who blocks better than he catches, etc...

But that is an excellent tutorial.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a ttoal jmulbe and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

amzanig huh?
Old 09-20-2004, 08:18 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvarr
Just a mention...the OP's requirements may be different based on the makeup of his team. Maybe he wants a WR that has better hands than speed, or a TE who blocks better than he catches, etc...

But that is an excellent tutorial.
I agree 100%. In my example, I wanted speed as my #1 asset in a WR, then catching ability. On the other hand, someone might want someone with great hands as the #1 asset. In that case, sort the WR list by hands. From there, I might look at agility since it may help the WR get open. Good strength might be an asset too in that case.

So the whole key is to figure out what you want .. what will benefit your team the most.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2004, 09:16 AM   #6
Rookie

tnx alot fellas, really appreciated.. I used vertekal post as guideline and did pretty well. Witht the first pick I picked up an OT he ended up beeing 78 pass block and 85 run block so I was pretty much happy..now time to develop him this kids gonna be good ;-)
Old 09-21-2004, 03:56 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomER
tnx alot fellas, really appreciated.. I used vertekal post as guideline and did pretty well. Witht the first pick I picked up an OT he ended up beeing 78 pass block and 85 run block so I was pretty much happy..now time to develop him this kids gonna be good ;-)

I LOVE STORIES LIKE THIS

i picked up a cb last week in the draft: KYLE ORTIZ--boy this guy is the next big thing i tell you....speed-90 coverage 85...not very high on other ratings but-lining up with ahmmed plummer & jason webster will get him up to snuff..he's on the field with (ss)tony parish & (olb)julian peterson (ilb) jeremia trotter..HOW CAN WE GO WRONG THAT'S AN ALL STAR CAST BOY!!

n to make it so sweet i was watching him all season..i loved his college stats and the fact he had a high GPA..he wasn't number one and his stock was dropping..but he was still always one of the top 5 in all stats..whiles some payer was number one then number 12 and number 6...SO ALL THE TEAMS PASSED HIM UP FOR THE TOP 4 CB'S..boy i snagged him up and let him know he was my choice from day one..by giving him starting position next to plummer..
Old 09-21-2004, 09:23 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

first round picks aren't really that useful...

trade them for 2nd round picks unless you NEED a qb, t, or especially rb and de.

comps draft nothing but the aforementioned positions in the 1st round

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »