Home

Does progressive scan really do anything?

This is a discussion on Does progressive scan really do anything? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2004, 09:53 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 11
Does progressive scan really do anything?

I bought some hd cables yesterday and I noticed an improvement in the graphics. Then I went in and enables 480p, 720p, and 1020i and I don't notice much. also, this game doesn't support widescreen, does it? it is still the best looking basketball game i've ever seen, but i thought i would notice more of a difference.

here is my tv

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Hitac...oductDetail.do

it has to support atleast 480p. if i turned on 720 for example and it didn't support that, its not like 480 wont work will it.

maybe its not supposed to make much of a difference. im a bit confused....

i have it hooked up with probably the best cables you can get, some xbox monster cables.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2004, 11:31 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Does progressive scan really do anything?

I don't know where to begin with whats wrong with your post...

First off, this is the NFL forum not the NBA

Secondly, Monster Cables are not high quality audio video cable, they are just high priced

Lastly, in NFL 2k5, 480p is supported, and it dosen't look particularly good, although better then 480i. The game IS widescreen, it's just not "completely" widescreen...it leaves a few inches on the sides and top/bottom of my screen, which is something that apparantly is typical of the ESPN game series from what I've read.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:03 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garasaki
I don't know where to begin with whats wrong with your post...

First off, this is the NFL forum not the NBA

Secondly, Monster Cables are not high quality audio video cable, they are just high priced

Lastly, in NFL 2k5, 480p is supported, and it dosen't look particularly good, although better then 480i. The game IS widescreen, it's just not "completely" widescreen...it leaves a few inches on the sides and top/bottom of my screen, which is something that apparantly is typical of the ESPN game series from what I've read.
Monsters are high quality Video/Audio cables.. Ppl say that cause they are overpriced a bit, but still quality cables.. Better looking then the MS HD pack..
Old 10-06-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolbubbaice
Monsters are high quality Video/Audio cables.. Ppl say that cause they are overpriced a bit, but still quality cables.. Better looking then the MS HD pack..

While we are on the cable subject, is there a difference between the component monster cable and the HD monster??
Old 10-07-2004, 10:41 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

one is component (Red White and Yellow) and one is HD
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2004, 11:17 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMoss84
one is component (Red White and Yellow) and one is HD
Red, White and Yellow = Composite
Old 10-08-2004, 08:39 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garasaki
... The game IS widescreen, it's just not "completely" widescreen...it leaves a few inches on the sides and top/bottom of my screen, which is something that apparantly is typical of the ESPN game series from what I've read.
I have never had it do that. Although, I do have a widescreen TV. But, regardless, I haven't had it do that on a regular TV either.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a ttoal jmulbe and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

amzanig huh?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:05 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Yes the Monster cables are of very high quality. They are probably the best mass-market consumer cables you can buy. To get better, you have to go up to some pretty high-end audio/video cable manufacturers.
The big difference you'll see in your Monster Cables is in going from Composite (yellow/red/white) or S-Video to Component (usually green/blue/red - but can sometimes be different for some really high-end home theater cables).
Progressive Scan is good, but it won't make that big of a difference beacuse you're not really increasing the resoloution. Many people think that Prog Scan will take away the "jaggies" that you see in games or make it look significantly sharper. But you're still working with 480 lines of resoloution (even if it is progressive) and it just won't do that. The game needs to go up to a higher resoloution (ie 720p/1080i) to get get sharper/clearer/less jagged edges.
What Progressive Scan does do is help you get great color saturation (nice deep/dark colors), smoother movement or animation, and a flicker-free display. On a DVD, many people describe it as looking "smoother" or more "film-like". It's just not quite as noticable in a video game.

BTW...excellent TV choice...I used to sell those!! :-)

Hope this helps a bit.

Halidon

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »