Home

puja21 Franchise: Real college players in draft class

This is a discussion on puja21 Franchise: Real college players in draft class within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2006, 03:32 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: puja21 Franchise: Real college players in draft class

One question about this renaming process too, if anyone can answer from their own past editing:

Is there a limit to the amount of guys I can link to the same name?

For instance, can I point ALL the players w/ the first name "Aaron" to the same name & thus overwrite all the other "Aaron-slots" with rookie names. Or will the file become corrupted at some point?

If nobody knows all I can do is trial-&-error, so help me out if you've got any experience.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:53 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
One question about this renaming process too, if anyone can answer from their own past editing:

Is there a limit to the amount of guys I can link to the same name?

For instance, can I point ALL the players w/ the first name "Aaron" to the same name & thus overwrite all the other "Aaron-slots" with rookie names. Or will the file become corrupted at some point?

If nobody knows all I can do is trial-&-error, so help me out if you've got any experience.
You're welcome. When Finn first released the editor that allowed names to be overwritten, I must have tested it out for at least a week. Being able to re-name players is a must for me because I dont use the create a player feature in 2k or rename players in-game.

As for how many players can be linked to one name, I think it's three but im not a 100% sure on that. I have seen those generated players have at least three different players linked to either a first or last name but never more then that. Of course, I never actually looked to see either. I would mainly use one player here and there as needed. I'm not sure what will happen if you link say, ten players to one name. Copy your franchise file and then use the copy to test it out.

The good thing is that as years pass and people continue to make rosters every year, names that dont exist in the name list will because people would already have them in their base rosters. For example, when I create my 2k7 roster, I will overwrite a QB into Matt Leinart. So, next year, Leinart will exist in the name list because the name is in the base roster file. Sure, Leinart may never be needed for another player but at least, it will be available if needed.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #11
Rookie

Phil21's Arena

OVR: 3

When I goto import the 2007 class, for some reason none of the players are showing up in Finn's Editor. I clicked on the running backs after importing it and there was no Micheal Bush, no Adrian Peterson, there was no one. Is anyone else having trouble getting these draft classes?

- OS Staff
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #12
MVP

my bad phil- i didnt explain this well. For my previously posted franchise, the 2007 draft class was already loaded (well, not the whole class- just default-name players i listed). Just start the franchise & play.

Quote:
This file is in week 1 of the 2006-2007 schedule with no games played, my own roster loaded (based off OSDCR) and a bunch of current real college players already loaded into the draft pool.
the other four classes in my 2nd attachment (i called them 2007/08/09/10) are just to keep it from freezing for the NEXT four seasons. Sorry for the confusion, but I named the draftclass export files to correspond w/ the season they need to be imported into.

if you just want to try & import my draft class into your own franchise w/ another roster, try the attachment at the bottom of this post. Additionally, you could try & export the draft class out of my franchise... I wouldn't recommend this however, because each time it is imported on top of a different file, there will be more and more bugs- transcription errors

Actually, even importing the class attached to THIS post with your own franchise will probably not be *perfect*, but it should work and be very playable.... this is because as of now, my posted class only contains default roster names. however, if you were to try & export my upcoming version (currently under construction w/ more non-default names like Slaton, Brohm, Broussard Pitcock etc...), it will definitely NOT be worth your time.

That's because I am adding non-default names using Dan's method. This involves changing name associations to make room so the draft class will only "matchup" with the franchise it was built on. If you were to import it, every player would still be there, but the new created names will be linked to some random default-roster name. For example, Steve Slaton could be Steve Smith/Jones/Thomas or whatever last name after the import. He would still look & play the same with the same height, weight, college and ratings, but the name change would not carry over for any non-default names. That is why I initially came up w/ the idea of only using default names in my first effort. It won't be perfect, but it will function better on multiple rosters.

Even w/o non-default names, there are two things that will make any draft class export file a little messed up when it's applied to a different franchise:

1) if your original draft class has MORE TOTAL PLAYERS than the new one you are importing. (I don't know yet what happens if there are less in the original). I explained this problem above, & it's not a huge deal. The result is a handful of buggy players- they are just missing either a first or last name or they are really old. No team drafts them anyway. No big deal.

2) Dan hypothosised that even if the # of total players is the same (pretty rare, but do-able), than a different talley at any given position could also still create the same minor issues. For example, if you have 20 QBs in the original file, but 25 QBs in the class being imported.

I don't know if 1 or 2 specifically creates the small bugs alone b/c both situations have always occurred for me. Either way, I can't imagine that situation 2 would ever NOT happen across two different base-files. It seems very unlikely that all 17 positions in 2K5 would have exactly the same talley of players in both classes. So expect a couple mistakes, but the college players will be there at least.

Anyway, attached is my original 2007 draft class w/ some of next year's rookies (default-names only) if you want to try this on your rosters. To do that:

(1) start your franchise w/ whatever roster update you want
(2) get past the preseason
(3) load the 06-07 schedule before any reg season games are played
(4) import the draft class at the same time.
(5) After importing, you can edit the players ratings/equipment to whatever you want USING FINN's editor.

You really shouldn't edit rookies w/ the in-game editor that appears after wk 8 or 10.... this might screw up PBP associations or worse.

However, if you need to to do this for some reason- like if you are changing appearances and need to see WTF you're doing- then go "no farther" into the in-game editor than the equipment page. Don't go to the ratings page. Also, after you finish changing equipment/appearance you should back out by PRESSING B. NOT BY PRESSING A OR START through to the end. Following this simple instruction should help keep the PBP associations correct (Brady Quinn= staying Quinn for instance as opposed to changing to #10). But really just use Finn's.. I already did everyone's appearances fairly well.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 01 - 2007 Named Draft Class.zip (28.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by puja21; 12-03-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:14 AM   #13
Rookie

Phil21's Arena

OVR: 3

Yeah they work now. I think all the players with weird names that you have to change (ie. Samardzija) get messed up when you import the draft class. Jeff Samardjiza's name on mine is Jeff Summers and he's from Duke not Notre Dame. It sucks that you'll have to change some of the names, but your work is appreciated none the less.

Quote:
if you were to try & export my upcoming version (currently under construction w/ more non-default names like Slaton, Brohm, Broussard Pitcock etc...), it will definitely NOT be worth your time.
yeah i'm working on a draft class myself so that could take away from the hassle of changing everything and making sure everything is accurate.

Btw here's a very helpful website for the incoming draft class of 2007:
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/qb.html

- OS Staff
Old 12-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil21
Yeah they work now. I think all the players with weird names that you have to change (ie. Samardzija) get messed up when you import the draft class. Jeff Samardjiza's name on mine is Jeff Summers and he's from Duke not Notre Dame. It sucks that you'll have to change some of the names, but your work is appreciated none the less.l
the class i just posted does NOT have any guys w/ uncommon names like that (no Samardzija for instance). Jeff Summers is just a coincidence. if i had put Samardzija in there i can virtually guarantee his college, ht, wt, face, & skills would carry over when you import. ONLY the incompatible name would not be there. i have tested this by importing into many different base-roster franchises

btw, thanks for the site recommend- i like that one too. i have been using 6 diff draft sources including that site to help me ballpark a guy's ratings so hopefully they turn out okay.

Last edited by puja21; 12-04-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #15
MVP

for my next file, every QB, RB & WR in the draft will be a legit prospect or very good college player. there will be many other top prospects at other positions too. Tons of players w/ non-default names- including Samardzija, Brohm, Slaton, etc will all be there. Once that file is up and the ratings are satisfactory (ratings are taking me the longest for sure) feel free to try and import the class to your own franchise & change the conflicting names if you want.

this will not be *too hard* because i will also post a list i have kept of all the players w/ non-default names, including their other personal info (ht wt college DOB). for most of these players, you will recognize them because ONE of their names (either first or last) will be a default name and thus still be correct after the import.

For instance, it could be Jeff Summers instead of Samardzija... however, in that file he will definitely be from Notre Dame and be 6'5 218 DOB 1/23/1985. For the few players who have two non-default names like LSU's Alley Broussard, at least you can still see their college, height and weight for identification.

Honestly though, changing those names is a lot of work using Dan's method because you have to "change back" the veteran you overwrote. at least you only have to do non-default names & don't have to worry about ratings or other personal info. but even with all that finished for you already, you will probably still be looking at a couple hours of work.... In which case, I can only assume you either really really love your own rosters or really loathe the base roster I used.

Depending on how much of a perfectionist you are, it might actually be faster for you to just copy & paste over (from your roster) the NFL veteran players you think I esp butchered in my own roster when it comes to ratings/equipment. At least that process is only two mouse clicks per player update.

Last edited by puja21; 12-04-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2006, 02:38 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

are these ps2 rosters?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »