Home

NFL 2k5 History: 1983 in progress video

This is a discussion on NFL 2k5 History: 1983 in progress video within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #25
All Star

OVR: 49
Re: NFL 2k5 History: 1983 in progress video

any more updates or videos?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2007, 02:29 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dophin26
****ALERT****

I sorta guessed this before I did it, but I am sure it's happening now-

If you just have NFL History overwrite one or two teams at a time, as I have, the program assumes the only names that matter are the ones it's writing and the others already in the game are unneeded. That means any teams you may have already completed could have guys with new names. It's happened a number of times to me so far. Most are obvious and easy to correct, but some are difficult to find.

That might make people shy away from the "one team at a time" idea.
i was just thinking: this shouldnt happen if you start your historic creation w/ the default roster as a base

in the default roster, every individual player has his own unique slot for both the first & last name... for example, if there were 1000 players in the default roster there would be exactly 2000 nameslots in use. Every "Smith" would have a separate unique slot (no piling on). So, no matter who the history program overwrites on the single team you are creating, no other names should be linked to it elsewhere to be overwritten accidently, b/c none are tied to the same slot

does that make sense?
Old 08-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #27
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

Yeah, that makes sense. I did start with someone else's roster. Not a big problem though, as I just printed the team rosters that I'd completed and rechecked them once I'd overwritten the rest.

The "skip team" feature in the history program works well too. I had edited teams here and there (not in order) and used the "skip" to go past these teams. No problems there.

As far as video/updates go, I made another one and then for some reason it didn't save right after editing and I got mad and left it alone. I am 14 teams intothe editing, but I have slowed down and will be returning to work tomorrow. Summer vacation is over

I still plan on getting it done and will update as I go. I am thinking about what to do with the "extra" teams in the roster. I was going to schedule around them and just have them play each other, but it seems like one of them will have to make the playoffs that way. I thought about filling them out with USFL players, but it seems like it might ruin the integrity of the league. I am not thinking about a full-fledged franchise here, just playing a season. Ideas?
Old 08-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #28
MVP

so, just to clarify (im thinking about doing a few seasons as well) this is what you do:

-run the history program to create one specific team from your season
-then go back & cleanup anything that came out wrong or that you don't like (eg ratings, appearance, equipment etc)
-repeat for another one of the 32 teams

if this is correct, ive got a question. roughly how long does it take for the program to generate a single team & "skip" the others?
Old 08-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dophin26
I am thinking about what to do with the "extra" teams in the roster. I was going to schedule around them and just have them play each other, but it seems like one of them will have to make the playoffs that way. I thought about filling them out with USFL players, but it seems like it might ruin the integrity of the league. I am not thinking about a full-fledged franchise here, just playing a season. Ideas?
the history program's schedule creator claims it can generate real schedules from every season tho i have never tried it:

Quote:
For the years that there were less than 32 teams, it will schedule the other teams to play against each other (this is done because if a team has no games, it is undefeated and automatically makes the playoffs), but it will schedule fewer than 16 games for those teams.
assuming playoffs is calculated by win %, he doesnt really address the possibility for a team playing 4 games to make the playoffs w/ 3 wins... try it & see i guess

since they will have some stats, making the key players iinto USFLers would be cool (QBs RBs, etc)
Old 08-26-2007, 10:15 PM   #30
MVP

dophin26's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
so, just to clarify (im thinking about doing a few seasons as well) this is what you do:

-run the history program to create one specific team from your season
-then go back & cleanup anything that came out wrong or that you don't like (eg ratings, appearance, equipment etc)
-repeat for another one of the 32 teams

if this is correct, ive got a question. roughly how long does it take for the program to generate a single team & "skip" the others?
Actually, here is what I did, although I wouldn't do it this way again: I started by editing a few teams on my own from the "goat" roster floating around here, since some players were already there. I had about 5-6 teams finished when the History program came out and I didn't want to start all over, so I used it to do one team at a time and edited those the way I wanted them (each team takes about 5 min. for the History program to run- about 2 hrs for me to edit). When I noticed it was overwriting names, I backed up my original file and had it finish doing all the rest of the teams that I hadn't touched yet.
So now they are all there in name, I just have to go through and edit. I am adding players omited to cut down on "nobody"s, have re-positioned a few guys that were in the wrong spots, correcting numbers, and making the ratings compliant with what I stared with. There are a few players that I nearly agree with the ratings that are given by the History program. I am halfway finished. I just played a tournament this weekend with 8 teams and had a lot of fun, especially finally taking down the Redskins (although they beat my Dolphins).

If I had to do it again, I'd start with a fresh roster and have it write all the teams and then do my edits one team at a time.

Last edited by dophin26; 08-26-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #31
MVP

I haven't been around the 2k boards for a while, so can somebody give me some info on this NFL History Program I'm hearing about? Where to get it, what it does, etc. Thanks in advance.
Acts 2:38. Let the truth be told.
John 4:23. He is seeking a seeker.
John 3:20. Say no to normal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2007, 11:18 PM   #32
MVP

dophin26's Arena

This is the site that is hosting it: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeekp5y/index.html

Using it in conjunction with Finn's editor (I'm assuming you know about that one), you can have the History program automatically input the rosters for just about any past season. It isn't perfect (dates, jersey numbers, etc are sometimes off), but the amount of time it saves makes it well worth the effort. It apparently will also create the schedule for the year, but I haven't messed with that. Check the site for more details...

__________________________________________________ _____________

BTW- '83 NY Giants are finished and have been lightly tested. They were 3-12-1 that year, but had a decent defense. I just beat them 28-7 with the Lions (who went 9-7 in '83) and the star was FB James Jones who busted an 80-something yard run. It was the only really big play on the Giants, however, as they shut Billy Sims down (22 car. 71 yards, 1 TD) for the most part.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »