Home

Problem with Editor Exporting Teams

This is a discussion on Problem with Editor Exporting Teams within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Problem with Editor Exporting Teams

I have tried several times to export the teams from Pujas latest Franchise to create a Roster file for exhibition games. After I export the teams one by one and import them over a Roster file (same # of players on roster), for whatever reason the Kicker and Punter overall ratings go down substantially. The ratings individually seem the same but the overall changes drastically for the worse. Looking at all the K in my exported Roster file, the highest is around 80 instead of 98 or 99 in the franchise file.

Example: 49ers K Nedney in franchise rated 84 then after exported to Roster his overall changes to 67. 49ers P Lee overall 78 changes to 63 after export.

Not sure if I am missing something but it is definately affecting my games as I play coach mode. I played an exhibition with the Colts a couple days ago and Vinatieri missed his first 2 FG (34 and 40 yards) as well as the first 2 extra points.

Thanks in advance for any insights...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Problem with Editor Exporting Teams

technically that doesnt mean anything-- if you just ignore it they should play the same.... probably not what you want to hear: but apparently Kickers ALWAYS suck in coach mode. however, if you are certain that it is creating a problem i know how to fix it.
^EDIT: evidently this is not true as testing has shown them to be less effective in coach mode under these circumstances

first of all, this is why it's happening:
anytime you copy a kicker or punter over a position player (non punter or kicker) the resulting OVR rating for the special team player won't calculate correctly b/c of some hidden feature that makes punters & kickers different from other players.. eg just pasting a K or P onto a LB or whoever doesn't bring that special attribute or whatever it is along that makes them a punter or kicker w/ the correctly calculated OVR rating. You need to always copy kickers over kickers & punters over punters to be assured that their OVR rating will calculate correctly.

b/c the import feature in the editor just automatically copies players from one team to the other down the line according to some order other than by position (i dont know what order it goes in-- alphabetically maybe? who knows....), the result is that kickers & punters almost never randomly end up copied on top of other kickers & punters. read it again if that didn't make sense cuz it's probably a little confusing. basically your "new" kicker/punters are being pasted over position players rather than over kickers & punters respectively during the import process.

you can remedy this by doing the following:
After running the import tool for all 32 teams, you can go back find out WHO replaced the old kickers & punters by looking at the years exp & college of the "new team" & seeing which players' have their years exp & college match that of the kicker & punter for the "old team." Those 2 players are your kicker & punter. For example, if the 49ers you copied over had a punter named John Smith with 7 years of experience from "John Carroll University" & after importing, you now have a linebacker w/ a diff name of course but who is also from "John Carroll Univ" & w/ 7 years exp.... well that's who needs to become your kicker. The only time this would F you up is if you had someone else on the old team who had the same college & years exp as the team's kicker or punter (FYI: I am 99% sure that isn't ever the case for the default roster, so you should be safe). Anyway, once you've identified the kicker & punter, next you need to manually paste your new kicker over the "old kicker". now you will have 2 kickers; one w/ the normal rating, & 1 rated really low. paste the position player you eliminated over the "low rated" kicker. repeat for the punter.

you could also do it this way which is probably easier:
BEFORE importing any teams, release all kickers & punters from BOTH the source team & destination team (so you have 2 less players on both teams & all remaining guys are position players).
^Thus when the import tool goes to work it doesn't run into any kickers & punters. Then you just need to manually copy/paste all the new kickers over the old kickers by hand
& add them to their correct teams (both groups are in free agency). Then do the same for punters

I have verified both ways as effective.

Last edited by puja21; 01-15-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

I will try to find the Kicker* attribute on players. In addition, the new import will attempt to write Kicker over Kicker and Punter over Punter.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Thanks for the help, I couldn't figure out what I was missing but that makes sense now. The Overall rating for whatever reason does seem to make a difference as I tested out the same K Nedney in practice mode after exporting by kicking FG from the 30 yard line. With the lower overall rating on coach mode, he made roughly 4 out of 10 kicks. I then loaded the default roster and tried the same kick and he made roughly 7 out of 10 kicks. I found the difference pretty interesting despite the individual ratings remaining the same.

Last edited by muckdaddy; 01-15-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I will try to find the Kicker* attribute on players. In addition, the new import will attempt to write Kicker over Kicker and Punter over Punter.
^always striving for perfection

Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »