Home

NjS 2004-2005 Roster Discussion

This is a discussion on NjS 2004-2005 Roster Discussion within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:45 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: NjS 2004-2005 Roster Discussion

puja -

I'm sorry for making you post all that for no reason. Honestly, I trashed all three of those magazines but no big deal. Only cost me $15 including shipping. I looked them over to see if they had what I was looking for but it didnt so I just said, to hell with them and trashed them all.

Sorry about that bud.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
dan, you might want to explain your rookie system to NJS as he is new. IIRC you have it based on when they were drafted, correct? like the top 5 picks in the draft have a specific OVR rating continuing down to undrafted rookies for dan
That's correct. My rating setup is based on the round and where they were drafted. For example, round one is 85-80. 1-10 is 85, 11-20 is 82 and 21-32 is 80. Round 2 is 77/75. Top half is given the higher rating with the bottom half given the lower rating. Round 3 is 72/70. Round 4 is 68/65. Round 5 is 62/60. Round 6 is 58/55 and Round 7 52/50.

The above is my default rookie rating setup. For example, 49ers QB Alex Smith is rated 85 by default but I can tell you right now that based on his 2005 performance, he'll be rated 75 which is my minimum for starting QB's. Just because a player has a default rookie rating doesnt mean that he'll be rated that way in my roster because it's a "final" roster for that season. I have eliminated the undrafted rating setup of 40 as I didnt like it because it was screwing up the team's offensive and defensive rating.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:47 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuJoiseySoulja
Eagles rated a 72? I wonder who is rated in the 90s...
Quote:
^ya i kind of wondered that myself since they were #2 in the NFL in scoring defense, #2 in sacks w/ 47 just one behind the leader, & 10th in yards allowed

so i'll piggyback on NJS' thought:
1) what is your range of best def to worst for team ratings in this file (between 100 & 60? 95 & 50? etc). i remember you told us something about your minimum being "where the in-game bar disappears" (that colored bar you see at the team select & depth charts screens measuring the team's OFF DEF & OVR) but i cant remember what the min number was

2) what criteria do you use to pick this measure; total yards, points scored/allowed, W-L, etc...?
2005 Eagles were 23rd overall in total defense which is yards (325.4) per game. They were 26th in scoring defense which is points (24.2) allowed per game. I go by conference. The lowest (16th) is rated 60 with the highest (1st) rated 98. 98 is the maximum and 60 is the minimum. My rating setup is the same as the drafted rookies as well as player attributes and overall rating. Eagles are 68 in total defense and 70 in scoring defense. Because the ratings cant meet, I go with the higher rating which is 70. Add in the missed games by the starters and it becomes 72 which is still crappy for them. You'll easily see the difference between the 2004 Eagles defense which is 95 overall the 2005 Eagles defense which will be 72 overall.

Dont be shocked if no one is in the 90's. Of course, having lower rated backups decreases the overall rating but you'll see few if any of them in the 90's. I havent even tested anything out and wont until later on since im concentrating on getting my 2004 (2K5) roster done in January.

For team ratings, I go by total offense/defense and scoring offense/defense. Here's an example of the 2004 Cowboys defense which was ranked 7th in total defense but 14th in scoring defense. Remember that this is based on conference, not league.

Total Defense: 82 - 80 / 77 / 75
Scoring Defense: 65 - 68 / 70 / 72

The higher rating gets decreased while the lower rating gets increased to where they're both the same. If they dont meet, I go with the higher rating which in this case would be 75. The starters only missed 8 games total and because my minimum is 11, there's no rating increase whatsoever. The Cowboys defense will be rated 75 overall for the 2004 season in my roster.

Here's an offensive example of the Buffalo Bills -

Total Offense: 68 - 70 / 72 / 75 / 77
Scoring Offense: 88 - 85 / 82 / 80 / 77

Both ratings meet which would give them a 77 overall rating for offense but the starters missed a total of 11 games which equals one slot increase, thus giving them an 80 overall rating. Bills are rated 95 defensively including two slot increases.

Hope this explains how I setup everything. I'll have better explainations when I post my roster and franchise files.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:00 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
puja -

I'm sorry for making you post all that for no reason. Honestly, I trashed all three of those magazines but no big deal. Only cost me $15 including shipping. I looked them over to see if they had what I was looking for but it didnt so I just said, to hell with them and trashed them all.

Sorry about that bud.
lol no reason to apologize as that wasnt posted for your benefit (i figured you'd know all that since u owned them)... just letting NJS & any lurkers know whats out there & as always shedding some more light on what kind of things go into my roster

my bad on the eagles-- i thought we were talking about the 2004 eagles since 04-05 is the subject of this thread... that year they were 2nd in sacks, 2nd in scoring def, & 10th in yards allowed. no wonder NJS & thought 72 sounded low-- we are looking at diff teams

and i guess you guys can definitively agree that you arent competing... since you are creating diff seasons lol

Last edited by puja21; 12-14-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
lol no reason to apologize as that wasnt posted for your benefit (i figured you'd know all that since u owned them)... just letting NJS & any lurkers know whats out there & as always shedding some more light on what kind of things go into my roster

my bad on the eagles-- i thought we were talking about the 2004 eagles since 04-05 is the subject of this thread... that year they were 2nd in sacks, 2nd in scoring def, & 10th in yards allowed. no wonder NJS & thought 72 sounded low-- we are looking at diff teams

and i guess you guys can definitively agree that you arent competing... since you are creating diff seasons lol
No problem bud. Eagles defense in 2004 was awesome and I thought about starting Kalu and adding a one slot increase making them 98 but I decided against it because Kalu lost his starting spot to Cole in 2005 and was easily outplayed by him. Eagles defense was 3rd in the NFC in total defense and 1st in scoring defense.

I personally cant wait to play with Philly from 2004. T.O. is my favorite player and while I dont care about the Eagles now, they're one my favorite teams to play with in 2K5 regardless of what season it is. For 2004, Eagles defense is 95 with their offense being 92 after a one slot increase.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #22
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
Thanks puja for that info regarding Passing Arm Strength. I now know why im gunning passes with Peyton and I keep overthrowing Harrison and Wayne by 5 yards. It's because the pass is going faster than I think its going to. I have to work on my timing.

Thanks bud.
I've noticed this as well with some guys with great arms. Those touch passes over the middle can be a lot easier to complete with the average arm guys. They just naturally float it over the middle.

The big arms, though, can sling that nice line drive 20-30 yards down field before defenders can react, so I guess it's a trade-off.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dophin26
I've noticed this as well with some guys with great arms. Those touch passes over the middle can be a lot easier to complete with the average arm guys. They just naturally float it over the middle.

The big arms, though, can sling that nice line drive 20-30 yards down field before defenders can react, so I guess it's a trade-off.
True. There's a play or two with Indy where the far left or right WR runs straight up and if he beats the CB and I see it, I can gun a pass to him and get a huge play. It's definitely something that is noticeable. Play a game with Peyton and then a game with Rattay or someone average and you'll easily see the difference.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »