Home

Edit 2k5s Roster Yourself?

This is a discussion on Edit 2k5s Roster Yourself? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Edit 2k5s Roster Yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jHorns
so do i understand this correctly? you can only edit in the game 150-200 players max. if this is the case then that puts a big damper in my roster making. anyway around this without using the editor? maybe if u saved it as another file or something
Yep, you must import the teams(only the teams with players that you've edit already)that you've already edited onto a new roster file, in order for the player limit to be reset.

You can edit names in the editor too but it will screw things up if you don't know what you're doing. If you want to create a roster without any names getting screwed up, the quickest and best way to do it is in game. All you have to do is edit names until you reached the player limited, then export and import the teams with the players names you've already edit back onto your based (new)roster.

For instance, if you're creating a 2012 roster, using the default roster as your base roster and say you've edited all the teams in the afc east(Pats, Jets, Bills, Dolphins)and the player limited has been reached. Simply export the four afc east teams, then import them onto a new based roster(a new default roster without any edited players)and the player limit will reset. You can rinse and repeat this process until you're finished creating you're roster.

Don't forget to rename the players whose names are reset doing the exporting and importing process. It's best to edit the players information(college, weight, height, etc.)when you edit their names as well, so you can easily identify them, if their name does happen to get reset or scrambled.

Creating your roster this way will keep you from having to edit names in the editor, which will not only prevent players names from being randomly scrambled on teams you haven't touched yet(which will keep you from having to back track because you'll only have to rename players on the teams that's being imported versus having the chance of a player name getting randomly scrambled on a team you haven't touched yet)but it will also prevent franchise freezing as well(assuming you're creating your roster to be played for multiple years in franchise mode).

When you import the teams, make sure you don't import them back onto the same roster that already reached the player limit. So assuming you're creating a 2012 roster and you've edit the players on the afc east teams, if you used the default 2004 roster as your base roster, when you import the Jets team, the roster that you're using to import the teams onto should have Chad Pennington as the QB but once the importing is finished, Mark Sanchez should be the QB.

Use a new default(or whatever roster is your base roster) roster every time you've reached the player limit and you should be ok. If you need anymore help let me know and i'll try my best to help out.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump101
Yep, you must import the teams(only the teams with players that you've edit already)that you've already edited onto a new roster file, in order for the player limit to be reset.

You can edit names in the editor too but it will screw things up if you don't know what you're doing. If you want to create a roster without any names getting screwed up, the quickest and best way to do it is in game. All you have to do is edit names until you reached the player limited, then export and import the teams with the players names you've already edit back onto your based (new)roster.

For instance, if you're creating a 2012 roster, using the default roster as your base roster and say you've edited all the teams in the afc east(Pats, Jets, Bills, Dolphins)and the player limited has been reached. Simply export the four afc east teams, then import them onto a new based roster(a new default roster without any edited players)and the player limit will reset. You can rinse and repeat this process until you're finished creating you're roster.

Don't forget to rename the players whose names are reset doing the exporting and importing process. It's best to edit the players information(college, weight, height, etc.)when you edit their names as well, so you can easily identify them, if their name does happen to get reset or scrambled.

Creating your roster this way will keep you from having to edit names in the editor, which will not only prevent players names from being randomly scrambled on teams you haven't touched yet(which will keep you from having to back track because you'll only have to rename players on the teams that's being imported versus having the chance of a player name getting randomly scrambled on a team you haven't touched yet)but it will also prevent franchise freezing as well(assuming you're creating your roster to be played for multiple years in franchise mode).

When you import the teams, make sure you don't import them back onto the same roster that already reached the player limit. So assuming you're creating a 2012 roster and you've edit the players on the afc east teams, if you used the default 2004 roster as your base roster, when you import the Jets team, the roster that you're using to import the teams onto should have Chad Pennington as the QB but once the importing is finished, Mark Sanchez should be the QB.

Use a new default(or whatever roster is your base roster) roster every time you've reached the player limit and you should be ok. If you need anymore help let me know and i'll try my best to help out.
i do not have any hardware that will allow me to transfer my roster file to and from my pc. everyone here just assumes everyone has this magical device i guess. i am doing all of my rosters by hand, which takes forever. i have now reached my player edit limit. however u can still edit their ratings just not their name. so i guess without a max drive, action replay thing i wont be able to reset the roster limit.

Last edited by jHorns; 04-24-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

"For instance, if you're creating a 2012 roster, using the default roster as your base roster and say you've edited all the teams in the afc east(Pats, Jets, Bills, Dolphins)and the player limited has been reached. Simply export the four afc east teams, then import them onto a new based roster(a new default roster without any edited players)and the player limit will reset. You can rinse and repeat this process until you're finished creating you're roster"

So you're saying, for instance, if a group of 8 people each took the base file and edited the names of a conference and then sent them to one person, that person could import the teams from each file and then sim without worry of freezing in multiple seasons?

If so, could you do that and then overwrite their attributes from another file (like FNG's) to get the correct ratings and still avoid freezing in multiple seasons?

"Don't forget to rename the players whose names are reset doing the exporting and importing process. It's best to edit the players information(college, weight, height, etc.)when you edit their names as well, so you can easily identify them, if their name does happen to get reset or scrambled."

Couldn't you avoid this if you just imported them over the last VC update, which has no shared names?

The reason I ask is the slowdown/freezing problem is the last obstacle most of us are facing in regards to editing. I know there is a way around it, as Puja put out multiple seasons (with help) that didn't freeze. Unfortunately, knows how it was done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dophin26
"For instance, if you're creating a 2012 roster, using the default roster as your base roster and say you've edited all the teams in the afc east(Pats, Jets, Bills, Dolphins)and the player limited has been reached. Simply export the four afc east teams, then import them onto a new based roster(a new default roster without any edited players)and the player limit will reset. You can rinse and repeat this process until you're finished creating you're roster"

So you're saying, for instance, if a group of 8 people each took the base file and edited the names of a conference and then sent them to one person, that person could import the teams from each file and then sim without worry of freezing in multiple seasons?

If so, could you do that and then overwrite their attributes from another file (like FNG's) to get the correct ratings and still avoid freezing in multiple seasons?

"Don't forget to rename the players whose names are reset doing the exporting and importing process. It's best to edit the players information(college, weight, height, etc.)when you edit their names as well, so you can easily identify them, if their name does happen to get reset or scrambled."

Couldn't you avoid this if you just imported them over the last VC update, which has no shared names?

The reason I ask is the slowdown/freezing problem is the last obstacle most of us are facing in regards to editing. I know there is a way around it, as Puja put out multiple seasons (with help) that didn't freeze. Unfortunately, knows how it was done.
From the tests I ran with the draft classes I created, I played 9 games in each of the first 2 seasons and then I simulated 8 more seasons, for a total of 10 seasons and I didn't experience any freezing. I pretty much did all my editing in game, from editing players names and information, to editing ratings.

When I edited ratings for my custom default 2004 roster, I tried to keep players ratings similar to the original default. I pretty much swapped players ratings with one another. So if I changed a WR that had a 70 overall rating to a 75, I made sure I lowered a different 75 overall rating down to a 70. I don't know if keeping the players in line with the default rosters helped with the freezing or not, just thought I'll mention it. None of my ratings are extreme, except for all CB's having a 24 aggressiveness rating and all DE's, DT's, OLB's and ILB's catch rating is 1.

From what I've learned, importing teams onto a roster that haven't reached the player limit seems to keep that roster file in default mode for some reason. From my testings, it appear that you can import teams for all 32 teams onto the default roster and it will be as if the now imported roster is still the same as the default roster, which means that the import roster is the default roster.

As far as the final roster goes, I never tried using VC final roster. I remember Rickster asked me something about it, but I don't remember him saying anything about the final roster being better than the default. After I put up the draft classes for the default roster, I'll check into the VC fiinal roster update if you guys think the final roster is better to use then default.

But regardless, I don't think the players names are being reset because of the shared names in this case. Players names rarely gets scrambled(Tony Romo last name changing to A.J Feely last name and vice versa). 99% of the names in my draft classes either gets reset(If I change a guy by the name of Joe Williams to C.J. Ah You, the player name will be reset back to Joe Williams) or erased(a player first or last name will be blank). 9 times out of 10, just the player first or last name gets reset or erased. Rarely will a player entire name gets reset or erased.

And the names that does gets reset or erased are either long names or weird spelling names, like C.J Ah You. I think they are being reset because the game is having a hard time processing and reading these long and weird names and the game is programed to simply reset the player back to his original name. I could be wrong. You guys would know more about this than I would, I'm just assuming that's what's happening.

But as far as the freezing and stuff goes, I'm pretty sure I didn't encounter any of that because I kept importing the players onto a clean unedited roster once I reached the player limit, which keeps the roster in default mode.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jHorns
i do not have any hardware that will allow me to transfer my roster file to and from my pc. everyone here just assumes everyone has this magical device i guess. i am doing all of my rosters by hand, which takes forever. i have now reached my player edit limit. however u can still edit their ratings just not their name. so i guess without a max drive, action replay thing i wont be able to reset the roster limit.
What system are you using? Original xbox or xbox 360?

If you're using the original xbox, it won't cost you much to get the stuff you need to transfer your files.

But if you're using a xbox 360, you have to pretty much SOL, cause you have to buy all the necessary equipment you need to transfer your files.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump101
From the tests I ran with the draft classes I created, I played 9 games in each of the first 2 seasons and then I simulated 8 more seasons, for a total of 10 seasons and I didn't experience any freezing. I pretty much did all my editing in game, from editing players names and information, to editing ratings.

When I edited ratings for my custom default 2004 roster, I tried to keep players ratings similar to the original default. I pretty much swapped players ratings with one another. So if I changed a WR that had a 70 overall rating to a 75, I made sure I lowered a different 75 overall rating down to a 70. I don't know if keeping the players in line with the default rosters helped with the freezing or not, just thought I'll mention it. None of my ratings are extreme, except for all CB's having a 24 aggressiveness rating and all DE's, DT's, OLB's and ILB's catch rating is 1.

From what I've learned, importing teams onto a roster that haven't reached the player limit seems to keep that roster file in default mode for some reason. From my testings, it appear that you can import teams for all 32 teams onto the default roster and it will be as if the now imported roster is still the same as the default roster, which means that the import roster is the default roster.

As far as the final roster goes, I never tried using VC final roster. I remember Rickster asked me something about it, but I don't remember him saying anything about the final roster being better than the default. After I put up the draft classes for the default roster, I'll check into the VC fiinal roster update if you guys think the final roster is better to use then default.

But regardless, I don't think the players names are being reset because of the shared names in this case. Players names rarely gets scrambled(Tony Romo last name changing to A.J Feely last name and vice versa). 99% of the names in my draft classes either gets reset(If I change a guy by the name of Joe Williams to C.J. Ah You, the player name will be reset back to Joe Williams) or erased(a player first or last name will be blank). 9 times out of 10, just the player first or last name gets reset or erased. Rarely will a player entire name gets reset or erased.

And the names that does gets reset or erased are either long names or weird spelling names, like C.J Ah You. I think they are being reset because the game is having a hard time processing and reading these long and weird names and the game is programed to simply reset the player back to his original name. I could be wrong. You guys would know more about this than I would, I'm just assuming that's what's happening.

But as far as the freezing and stuff goes, I'm pretty sure I didn't encounter any of that because I kept importing the players onto a clean unedited roster once I reached the player limit, which keeps the roster in default mode.

I've been using my own roster from the update I recently posted and it features the last VC update which has been working just fine,the only difference being in the free agent and draft class sizes.

If you know what you're doing then the export/import along with paste/copy feature is an option to take advantage of and serves to insure a file being stable for franchise use and edits being inline.

Presently I have my roster running in the new schedule using the draft class from the file you posted using an older version of the 2k12 test franchise.

It was simple to import the draft class with most names showing up only needing to be edited and of course the edit rookie feature is on to access them in game.

Dolphin is pretty much dead on when it comes to export/import of files any type and is usually correct in breaking the process and getting them to where they need to go so he's a guy that knows his stuff and is a vet I've worked with for a long time....hell we're both good and vets at this along with FNG who is one of the best in the biz....and now theres you Bump101.

I edited those zeroed out and it worked just fine with rookies drafted in the off season with no freezing issues....the draft class in the VC update is bigger with 542 players the default is at 380....I see no issue using either one so far and have played, simed and watched CPU vs CPU games.

My roster however has not been updated to include roster moves yet but it does function without any freezing issues.

Freezing is not a one item thing and can be attributed to a number of issues so tracking them down can be a tedious process if you're not familiar with roster creation....over the years we've seen many issues that have slowed us down....non the less we've figured most out but still they're issues that do pop up from time to time.

Puja has left us with a lot of un answered questions but also has been brilliant in leaving some great rosters and info on breaking down and figuring them out.

Dolphin and I along with the few vets here are still involved in creating rosters and some how come thru year after trying to keep 2k football in the news at this site and sharing what we know, for now FNG is on the clock working on his latest file.

I like this tread keep it going as a source and discussion point for future reference involving 2k football and your insight which is shaping up to be something worth checking out.

The Boss....Lead Man
Rickster101
Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster101
I've been using my own roster from the update I recently posted and it features the last VC update which has been working just fine,the only difference being in the free agent and draft class sizes.

If you know what you're doing then the export/import along with paste/copy feature is an option to take advantage of and serves to insure a file being stable for franchise use and edits being inline.

Presently I have my roster running in the new schedule using the draft class from the file you posted using an older version of the 2k12 test franchise.

It was simple to import the draft class with most names showing up only needing to be edited and of course the edit rookie feature is on to access them in game.

Dolphin is pretty much dead on when it comes to export/import of files any type and is usually correct in breaking the process and getting them to where they need to go so he's a guy that knows his stuff and is a vet I've worked with for a long time....hell we're both good and vets at this along with FNG who is one of the best in the biz....and now theres you Bump101.

I edited those zeroed out and it worked just fine with rookies drafted in the off season with no freezing issues....the draft class in the VC update is bigger with 542 players the default is at 380....I see no issue using either one so far and have played, simed and watched CPU vs CPU games.

My roster however has not been updated to include roster moves yet but it does function without any freezing issues.

Freezing is not a one item thing and can be attributed to a number of issues so tracking them down can be a tedious process if you're not familiar with roster creation....over the years we've seen many issues that have slowed us down....non the less we've figured most out but still they're issues that do pop up from time to time.

Puja has left us with a lot of un answered questions but also has been brilliant in leaving some great rosters and info on breaking down and figuring them out.

Dolphin and I along with the few vets here are still involved in creating rosters and some how come thru year after trying to keep 2k football in the news at this site and sharing what we know, for now FNG is on the clock working on his latest file.

I like this tread keep it going as a source and discussion point for future reference involving 2k football and your insight which is shaping up to be something worth checking out.

The Boss....Lead Man
Rickster101
Thanks for the support Ricksters.

I've read a lot of threads(some dating back to 2005)on this site where you, Dolphin, FunNGun, Convince, Puji, Flyin Finn and others shared a lot of valuable information on creating rosters, ratings for better gameplay, how to use the edit and more. I learned a lot from you guys and I appreciate everything you all is doing for NFL2k5.

If it wasn't for you guys, I would have never discover this great game, cause the only reason why I bought 2k5 in the first place was because of the updated roster that y'all create every year.

I haven't played Madden since Madden 2010 and I haven't bought a Madden game since Madden 08 for the original xbox. And it's all because I was able to get updated rosters for 2k5, thanks to the os community.

Anyway, I'll try to keep everyone updated on things and again thanks for the support, I really appreciate man.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

Hi. I want to edit the rosters myself, but in-game. Is it possible? Is there any problem, or limit that I should take into account?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »