Home

need sliders for punt and kickoff returns

This is a discussion on need sliders for punt and kickoff returns within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
Rookie

papasmurf's Arena

OVR: 2
need sliders for punt and kickoff returns

im pretty happy with the game on default all pro other than the return game. the default level on all -pro is just about the right challenge for me. but it gets frustrating never having a decent return. and i wouldn't mind seeing the computer being able to have the ability to do the same.

if anybody has any sliders on all-pro im willing to try them as long as they don't favor the computer too much. otherwise it will be way too frustrating .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: need sliders for punt and kickoff returns

The return game can't be tweaked with sliders. They simply don't affect it. It's got to do with the programming. The return game programming doesn't take into account players' blocking ratings, etc. In other words, it appears they wrote an entire, separate program just for the return game. Part of that no doubt had to do with trying to fix the return game, because in 04 it was pretty easy to run back kicks for TD’s.

The best you can do is learn the cheats (running sideways, then cutting up field suddenly) that’ll get you the occasional 50 yard return. Because that’s about as good as it gets.

I did see an improvement in the coverage team's ability to cover, after I raised Aggression ratings for everyone (otherwise some cover guys run around in circles). But that's not what you're needing from what I'm reading.

Another thing that could work for you or others: you can create custom playbooks, and then sub in some of the slower, lower-rated players on kick returns, both on your team and CPU teams. It helps somewhat: the coverage team doesn’t get downfield as quickly, for example. And again, if you choose players with low Aggression, they’ll circle around like they’re playing baseball, and not football. But then you have to control all teams, and insert custom playbooks for both your team and the CPU.

Last edited by baa7; 07-18-2005 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
Rookie

papasmurf's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
The return game can't be tweaked with sliders. They simply don't affect it. It's got to do with the programming. The return game programming doesn't take into account players' blocking ratings, etc. In other words, it appears they wrote an entire, separate program just for the return game. Part of that no doubt had to do with trying to fix the return game, because in 04 it was pretty easy to run back kicks for TD’s.

The best you can do is learn the cheats (running sideways, then cutting up field suddenly) that’ll get you the occasional 50 yard return. Because that’s about as good as it gets.

I did see an improvement in the coverage team's ability to cover, after I raised Aggression ratings for everyone (otherwise some cover guys run around in circles). But that's not what you're needing from what I'm reading.

Another thing that could work for you or others: you can create custom playbooks, and then sub in some of the slower, lower-rated players on kick returns, both on your team and CPU teams. It helps somewhat: the coverage team doesn’t get downfield as quickly, for example. And again, if you choose players with low Aggression, they’ll circle around like they’re playing baseball, and not football. But then you have to control all teams, and insert custom playbooks for both your team and the CPU.
that seems like alot of work, i think i'll just live with it. besides i'll probably get madden 06 by labor day. although nfl 2k5 is so good in so many other ways im sure i'll keep playing it too.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

try using the right analog stick. if you stutter shake and bake, you can make them miss and you might return one. it takes practice, but the first time i tried it i went for about 18 yards and had only one guy to beat.

try the stutter step first and you will see stuff open up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders »