Home

Some findings...

This is a discussion on Some findings... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Some findings...

So I've been playing this game for over 9 years now and I've wanted the most realistic football experience. Well with GillBoldberg's roster it is becoming close to a reality except the sliders in this game are the trouble. One thing I did and I think you shoud definitely try it is to use his rosters but then set every player and positions consistency to 99. Your probably thinking this will make the game unbalanced but actually it does make the game balanced. If a player is 99 consistency no matter if he is a the best in the league or the worst they will play that way 99% of the time. Having players with consistency other than 99 means you see the stupid CB, SS, FS animations where they run in circles and take horrible angles. This is a big boost in gameplay and recommend everyone to try it.

The one thing I cant get right is the sliders. I've put them on legendary and the CPU continues to throw into triple coverage or completely overthrows his receiver. I've also used rspencers, Bills, and everyone elses and still encounter the same problems. I've even zeroed out the sliders and used the Performance EQ on. I'm starting to think that the game is somewhat broken on the offensive side for the CPU. On defense the CPU plays perfect and has great coverage. It's just I can't get the QB to be more than 50% accurate for the entire game. He will usually start out at like 60-70% and as the game goes on it continually drops. For the running game it varies for faster running backs they do somewhat well but I have to turn pursuit, coverage, and tackling to really low levels to get a 100 yrd rusher. I even thought that maybe turning up the QB pass read coverage, accuracy, arm strength all to 127 to see if they improves QB play. I might have to do the same for the RB position maybe make their break tackle like 127. Any ideas on how to fix the problems with this game? I'll do some more experiments and let you know on my findings. But I urge you to give all players 99 consistency and tell me what you think. I think its like 1 step from being perfect, just need those sliders to work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
MVP

GillBoldberg's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Some findings...

Nice digging.

I've been doing some myself. Like you, I've been trying to fix the inconsistencies of CPU QB play. Now obviously you would think to max out the consistency rating, but it still seems that the QB will still make dumb throws. I've been testing out a new file with some new formulas for QB's and getting mixed results. The CPU play seems to be a bit better but I still need to play a few more games to fully test it. It seems like you're going to need the perfect mix of QB ratings and DB ratings to get the best gameplay, which isn't as easy at it may seem. Hopefully you can crack it. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Rookie

Yeah I did a test last night where I gave all Qbs 127 rating in all categories and then maxed out the passing slider. The passing was a little better but i think that the passing in the game has more to do with the human defense. If you pick the right defensive play the computer doesn't know what to do. I've also noticed that picking a zone defense and then making some player play man to man defense ruins the passing. Its almost as if the CPU has its target receiver picked before the play and will pass to that receiver regardless of coverage. They don't go through progressions or do any check downs. I think the thing that really can help the QB is just to lower the coverage and pursuit of the human player. With your sliders however i feel that the agility and coverage of CBs FSs and SSs is too low. Players in the 80's with agility cant turn their hips fast enough and do that stupid animation where they run in a circle around the receiver. Also, the coverage is low for the secondary, I've seen times where the FS will actually backpedal the wrong way. I'm not bashing your rosters I believe they are the closest to reality. I just think those are two fixes to help in coverage. I will do more testing with the QB play and see if i can get it up. My goal is to get all QBs to be in the 70% for completion and get RBs to at least be in the high 80s and up for running. Again i think you might have to lower the run coverage of all defensive players and increase RBs break tackle. I'll let you know once i do more testing.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
MVP

GillBoldberg's Arena

OVR: 10

I'll give your suggestions a shot when I get some time. On your point about the CPU having predetermined receivers, that might have to do with their route running rating. The player with the highest route running rating is the QB's #1 option. This is especially true with franchise simulation stats. Maybe if all receivers had the same RR rating that would even out the ball distribution? Not sure. TE's and RB's route running are on a different scale than WR's. A WR with 80 RR would average, lets say 60 catches. A RB or TE with an 80 rating will grab about 80-90 catches. Might be something to look into.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Rookie

Yeah just take your rosters and make all players consistency rating 99. I think this helps makes bad players play bad and good players play great throughout the game. I'm going to into the lab tonight to see if I can these rosters to work. I was also thinking about making the CPU fatigue much higher than the human. That way WRs TEs and Rbs would be able to get to the ball faster and blow by the secondary who might be tired. Might open the running game and passing. I'll try it out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

Im almpst at the point where Im going to buy an xbox and 2k4 with this inconsistent play from the qb lol. Im gonna try adjusting consistency stamina and composure one more time. If it doesnt work Im goin to buy an old ps2 or xbox

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders »