Home

Seeing Blue: Following the Rock State Blue Storm (NCAA Football 11)

This is a discussion on Seeing Blue: Following the Rock State Blue Storm (NCAA Football 11) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Seeing Blue: Following the Rock State Blue Storm (NCAA Football 11)

ROCK STATE BLUE STORM

Game: NCAA Football 11
Platform: Xbox 360

Quarters:
8 minutes
Sliders:
SN's All-American Sliders with minor changes
Rosters:
RomanCaesar

Recruiting:
I will mostly go after only interested or pipeline players, but I will also try to recruit 5* players that fit my style.
Base Offense: West Virginia (spread option)
Base Defense: 4-3

Background:
Back when I had NCAA '04 for PS2, I created this team because I've always wanted to see an Alaska college football team and my favorite color is navy blue. I really loved their jerseys, which featured the old Denver Broncos horn-style jersey/pant combo and I used Michigan's helmet. They normally would wear all navy at home, all white on the road and sometimes an all-sky blue alternate (which I think looks sweet). I built the team into a powerhouse and won several national titles.

During that '04 dynasty, I recruited a 4* scrambling QB out of Alaska by the name of Claude Grimes. Grimes turned out to be one of those rare 4* gems, as he came in as an 84 overall and started as a freshman. Grimes went on to become the greatest video game player I've ever come across. A dual-threat force, he led the Blue Storm to 2 national titles (as a junior and senior) and won 2 Heisman Trophies (as a sophomore and a senior).

Ever since then, every new version of NCAA I bought ('06, '08 on PS2 and now NCAA 11 on 360) featured a Rock State dynasty that included a created Claude Grimes leading them as a freshman. His best season ever with him was during his senior year of the '08 dynasty, in which he threw for over 3,400 yards, ran for over 1,600 yards and accounted for 67 TDs.

I am now bringing Rock State and Grimes to the next gen (and myself as well) and will be reporting my dynasty here. Hope you enjoy!

OS Thread Link - Website Link
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
MVP

Western Kentucky out?

Western Kentucky back to FCS?
NCAA Football News

Sources have reported to ESPN and the Associated Press that Western Kentucky's football program will be demoted back to the Football Championship Subdivision.

The Hilltoppers have struggled mightily since they've risen to FBS status, going 2-10 in 2008 (with both wins coming over FCS teams) and a winless 0-12 mark last season. The NCAA committee has supposedly voted to demote WKU back to FCS and are currently looking for another lower-division team to bring up.

Both representatives for the NCAA and Western Kentucky were unavailable for comment.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
MVP

Louisiana Tech moving to Sun Belt

Louisiana Tech leaving WAC for travel-friendly Sun Belt
NCAA Football News

Due to concerns over travel budgets, Louisiana Tech announced today that they will be leaving the WAC conference and joining the Sun Belt. Representatives for Tech reported that due to the ongoing economic recession, the Bulldogs' travel budgets had been cut too much to handle long road trips to their former WAC opponents.

The move to the Sun Belt should help Tech save thousands in travel expenses, and may also give them a better shot at a conference title. Boise State has had a stranglehold on the WAC title for years and Louisiana Tech has struggled to break into the WAC's top 3.

The rumored demotion of Western Kentucky would have left a void in the Sun Belt conference, but Louisiana Tech's move will allow them to keep a total of 9 conference members.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
MVP

WKU out, Rock State in

Western Kentucky back to FCS, and NCAA welcomes Alaska-based Rock State to FBS
NCAA Football News

The NCAA announced today that Western Kentucky's football program will be demoted to FCS, proving true a rumor that was reported earlier this week. In a surprise move, the NCAA also announced that Rock State University, a developing newer school out of Anchorange, Alaska, will begin FBS play this season.

Western Kentucky's struggles during their first 2 seasons of FBS membership led the NCAA to look in another direction. Eyeing a developing western power and a new market in Alaska, the NCAA decided to bring the exciting Blue Storm into the conversation. The Blue Storm have been quietly dominating the Football Championship Subdivision, including a semifinal finish in last season's playoffs. The promising Rock State program will begin play in the WAC, helping them mend the loss of Louisiana Tech this week, and could eventually become a serious threat to Boise State.

A representative from Rock State reported that the university is "very excited" to begin play on college football's top level, and is "hoping to make some noise" as they continue to develop their football program.

The Blue Storm is expected to return 8 starters on offense and 10 starters on defense, and will have many seniors leading the way.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
MVP

Blue Storm Practice Report: Offense

Freshmen emerging for RSU offense
RSU Football News

The Rock State Blue Storm are preparing for their 1st season at the FBS level, and they are pleased to have such an experienced team leading them into the fire. Despite returning 18 starters overall, it is the newbies on offense that are making the big noise.

True freshman QB Claude Grimes and redshirt freshman RB Kevin Simpson have been very pleasant surprises for the RSU coaching staff during training camp. So pleasant, in fact, that the thought of them starting Week 1 against UL-Lafayette isn't so far-fetched.

"Claude and Kevin have really shown us a lot of promise," head coach Dave Phillips said earlier this week. "I am happy to see how fast they've grasped the playbook, and their physical abilities is off the charts. Both of them will be intregal parts of our offense this season."

Phillips, who has been Rock State's head man since the program began 12 years ago, feels comfortable with having the youngsters play due to a very experienced offensive line and receiver group. The Blue Storm are returning 8 starters offensively, including 4 on the o-line and their top 4 receivers.

Grimes, an Alaskan-born true frosh out of the island city of Unalaska, is currently in a tight QB battle with senior David McDonald. McDonald was the top backup last season during the regular season and their deep playoff run, finishing the year with 231 yards passing and a TD. Grimes won high school state titles in football and baseball last year, and brings a lot of speed to the QB position.

Simpson was a standout RB out of California before enrolling at RSU, running for over 2,000 yards and 30 TDs as a high school senior, but redshirted last season behind several upperclassmen. The Blue Storm have 2 seniors and a junior also vying for the starting RB job, but Simpson has made a name for himself already in camp.

"We will find a way to get them both involved," Phillips said. "Young talent like that will flourish within a veteran offense like this."

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Seeing Blue: Following the Rock State Blue Storm (NCAA Football 11)

Looking forward to this. I'll definitely be following!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
MVP

Blue Storm Practice Report: Defense

Experience leading the way on RSU defense
RSU Football News

While RSU tries to find themselves on offense, they can put most of their faith in their experienced and talented defense.

The Blue Storm will head into their 1st season at the FBS level with 10 of 11 defensive starters returning, including their entire front seven. This experience will be very important as they get ready to face faster, bigger and stronger opponents than in the past.

"At the end of last season, I kept talking to my staff about the defensive group we had," head coach Dave Phillips said earlier this week. "I was excited about how we had nearly everyone in place and that they were all going to be back next season. I think now that we are playing in the FBS, they realize their jobs have just become more important. And they're ready for the challenge."

The strength of RSU's defense has to be their defensive line. DEs Mike Hawk and Ernest Poland are great playmakers at the bookends, but the DT tandem of Brent Koch and Dominic Small suck up enough blockers for their teammates to spring free. But don't think Koch and Small will just sacrifice their own stats - both players recorded at least 4 sacks last season.

"Our d-line is definately the foundation of our defense," Phillips said. "Any of our 4 starters could reach 8 sacks this year, and we got enough young, upcoming talent behind them to give them a breather."

Sophomore DEs Jefferson Roberts and Buster Cochran are the two stars-in-waiting that should see plenty of action as well, while junior DT Bobby Culp will rotate inside.

In the secondary, seniors CB Jeff Shuler, FS Matt Alfred and SS Tim Neal return to the starting posts they held last season. Joining them will be new starter CB Nate Steele, but don't expect any drop-off in production. Shuler grabbed 6 picks last season and was named an FCS All-American, while Neal's hard-hitting mentality puts the fear into any crossing receiver.

"The mix of finesse and strength we have in the defensive backfield is tremendous," Phillips said. "Shuler and Alfred have the speed and agility to stay with any receiver, while Steele and Neal give us that toughness we need to balance that out. No receivers can beat us deep, and they'll be afraid to cross the middle."

CB Chris Russell will be RSU's nickelback, while backup safeties Anthony Goddard and Aaron Lacey will see the field also.

Manning the middle of the defense are 3 returning starters at linebacker. MLB Blake Sands anchors the group, but OLBs John Mosby and John Coley should be improved. With two excellent position groups surrounding them, their importance may be reduced but their play will need to be solid.

"Our linebackers are good, very good," Phillips said. "Sands has an incredible nose for the ball, while both Johns will give us blitzing speed and coverage ability."

Backing up the backers will be promising true freshman OLB Nic McFadden, and sophomores OLB Kris Porter and MLB Montrell Suggs.

"Our experience defensively will be key," Phillips said. "We will need to play sound every game."

Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
MVP

2010-2011 RSU Schedule

Rock State releases 2010-2011 schedule
RSU Football News

As the Rock State Blue Storm gear up for their 1st season at the FBS level, they will look ahead to a challenging schedule.

RSU opens the 2010-2011 in the friendly confines of "The Tsunami" against UL-Lafayette, but then face their 1st big challenge of the season at Texas A&M. The Blue Storm will then return home to take on Navy before completing their non-conference schedule at Southern Miss.

RSU opens WAC conference play in late September with a trip to Hawai'i. Their biggest stretch of conference games begin on October 9th with a home contest against Idaho, followed by a trip to preseason #5 Boise State and a home game against Fresno State.

Their entire schedule is as follows.

Rock State 2010-2011 Schedule
(Note: Red = Conference Game)

8/28 - vs. UL-Lafayette
9/4 - @ Texas A&M
9/11 - vs. Navy
9/18 - @ Southern Miss
9/25 - @ Hawai'i
10/2 - vs. Utah State
10/9 - vs. Idaho
10/19 - @ #12 Boise State
10/30 - vs. Fresno State