Home

Road to the NCAA: The Legacy of J. Wilson

This is a discussion on Road to the NCAA: The Legacy of J. Wilson within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12
Road to the NCAA: The Legacy of J. Wilson

I've published my first blog entry following the entirety of my 2011 Senior Season and hopefully beyond. Link here: http://www.operationsports.com/jwilphl/blog/

I'll update after each game/week as I run through my senior season and ideally toward an NCAA Division-I scholarship.

For the sake of ease, I'll copy my blog post below and continue to update this post as an alternative.

My 2011 Football Season, and my final season as a High School football player, is now underway. I wanted to blog about my experiences as I took the path towards the NCAA in hopes that maybe I'll inspire and teach those following me, as well as document my entire trip, as I'm sure it will be a memorable one.

A quick intro: I'm a senior at Upper Moreland High School in Willow Grove, PA. It sits about 14 miles North of Philadelphia. We play in the PIAA, District 1, Suburban One League, American Conference. We are also a AAA school, but the majority of our schedule this year will be against AAAA opponents. It is good practice if we can do well enough to make the playoffs.

Our uniforms (home and away) for the 2011 season:

The schedule rundown is as follows:

09/02: Methacton (AAAA)
09/09: @ Upper Perkiomen (AAA)
09/16: Phoenixville (AAA)
09/23: BYE
09/30: @ Plymouth-Whitemarsh (AAAA)
10/07: @ Norristown (AAAA)
10/14: Wissahickon (AAAA)
10/21: Upper Dublin (AAAA)
10/28: @ Cheltenham (AAAA)
11/04: Upper Merion (AAA)
11/11: @ Garnet Valley (AAAA)
11/24: @ Hatboro-Horsham (AAAA) - Annual Rivalry Game (Thanksgiving)

Methacton is our first opponent. They finished 4-7 last season and struggled defensively through the second half of the season, but this year they look to rebound with a senior-laden squad.

Our team, however, went 8-4 last year with a perfect record away from our home stadium. We look to improve on that record as we return the majority of our starters on offense and defense. The expectations this year are pretty high for our team, perhaps the highest since I can remember (having two older siblings graduate ahead of me when the football teams weren't quite as strong).

A bit more background on myself before I wrap up my first blog entry. I'm 6'3" and 231, playing a bit of a hybrid HB/FB position on offense, as well as MLB on the defensive side of the ball. Sometimes coach will shift me to defensive end, but coach prefers me to lead the defense from the middle.

As for my hopeful collegiate career, thus far it is early, but I have received a few packages and letters from various schools around the NCAA. I'm mostly looking to play Division I, but I am willing to look at other divisions--it never hurts to have a backup plan if things don't go your way.

I decided to narrow my initial choices down to three schools (the parents think I should tailor my focus rather than look too wide-eyed). It was tough to choose just three, but because I've grown up in Pennsylvania, most of my childhood revolved around Joe Paterno, and some childhood dreams of playing for him. As such, Penn State was my first selection of schools.

I have a friend who committed out of state to West Virginia, and I visited there over the summer to check out the campus. I really enjoyed myself, so they were my seemingly obvious second choice (and the commute is only about five hours).

My third choice was the toughest to decide. I thought over my decision based upon two key factors: academics and football "prestige." A quality education never hurts, particularly since my chances at the professional level aren't so good, so I looked at Stanford as a possible choice.

I also wanted to select a team that was in the best football conference of the country, the SEC. Undoubtedly that would offer me the best football experience I could ask for at the collegiate level. At the same time, I wanted a school in that conference that wasn't maybe quite as hardcore as the more well-known programs, such as Alabama and Florida. With that, I settled on South Carolina as my SEC school of choice. I would prefer in many ways to play as the underdog.

So I had to choose between South Carolina and Stanford before the season begins. It was difficult, but I decided to keep South Carolina in my top three, with hopes that Stanford may come knocking down the road.

To sum it up, my top three choices prior to the season are:
1. Penn State (Big Ten)
2. West Virginia (Big East)
3. South Carolina (SEC)

And with that, I look forward to our first game this Friday. I'll let you know how it goes and fill ya'll in on how I've done myself, as well as look forward to the next weekly match-up.

It is best to live it up now, because as they say, it's never as bright outside of those Friday Night Lights.

Last edited by jwilphl; 07-13-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Ease of Viewing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
Rookie

dtackel78's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Road to the NCAA: The Legacy of J. Wilson

my ex girlfriend went to Wissahickon
Old 07-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

Week 1

After the first game of the 2011 Season, I'm happy to report that we took care of business against Methacton. Here's a shot taken by the school's football photographer of me scoring my first touchdown of the season:

Honestly our team did not struggle much this game, although we did get off to a slow start. Regardless, this is a positive sign to begin the 2011 campaign for the Golden Bears of Upper Moreland.

Final: 37-7 W

Following this game, I received a few more letters of interest from various schools. Army has shown a particularly high interest in me, both at HB and MLB. Although they are a smaller school and don't have the football prestige, I have always been fond of the armed forces and will definitely consider a path that may lead me to West Point. Certainly the training and discipline I could receive there would do me well for the future.

That said, my top three are still my top three. One game in is not going to impress these power schools--it is still far too early for anyone to have offered me a scholarship.

Our next game is against Upper Perkiomen. As a fellow AAA team, it might be a more even match on paper. They finished at 5-7 last year, and they struggled mightily on the defensive side of the ball giving up over 450 points, including a 69-19 thrashing at the hands of Pottsgrove.

We'll be ready to face 'em.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

Week 2

Another dose of good news this week--we beat up on Upper Perkiomen last Friday night. Our defense shut-down their stagnant offense and we completed the shutout. The photographer sent me a few photos for my highlight reel. These will be packaged, along with any other photos and videos I get this year, and sent out to the various schools interested in me.

This first shot was taken on only the second play of the game. I busted a 31-yard run thanks to some great blocking from the guys up front, managing to run over a few bodies in the process.

This was later on our second offensive possession of the first quarter. I managed to break a 22-yarder, again flattening a cornerback in the process.

This photo came from the last play of the first half. On defense, I was able to penetrate the backfield on an option toss and grapple QB to the ground before he could get outside. Tackle for a four-yard loss.

Final: 31-0 W

Some more schools sent me letters this week, including another Big East team--Syracuse. They saw some of my HB work from the first two games and sent me some materials. I added them to my list--perhaps to the dismay of WVU--but WVU is still #2 on my list, and chances are the only Big East school I will truly consider. But I'm always willing to listen.

I also got some looks from a local school at middle linebacker--Temple! Being a local school, I am intimately familiar with Temple, and I'm happy to have some interest from my own neck of the woods. Guess my name is getting around the papers! I'll see where that goes. At this point, I think I'm leaning toward playing HB in college, although I'd love to play both. It seems HB is my true strength; my stats at MLB through two games have been less than impressive so far.

As for next week, we take on Phoenixville. I remember our school hosted them several years ago for our school's first ever home playoff game. Needless to say that playoff run didn't last--it was a fairly one-sided game. I think our whole squad is looking to avenge that loss, even if it wasn't all that personal to us. Some of the alumni have really been looking forward to the Week 3 matchup.

Last year they weren't that great going 3-9, including losing to the team we just beat 28-21. Our confidence is high--I think we can handle them this time around. Their offense last year was anything but potent, averaging just 15.8 points a game.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Last edited by jwilphl; 07-13-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

Week 3

Suffice to say, week 3 was a success for Upper Moreland. We trounced Phoenixville, using that aforementioned previous business to motivate us extra for the match-up. On to some photos from the game!

This shot was taken from the end of my game-breaking 52-yard run in the first quarter. It was a simple counter play that the defense just wasn't prepared for. I was being wrapped up along the sidelines when the photographer got this shot under the lights.

This photo was taken from the back of the endzone. After scoring my 2nd touchdown of the game, I had to give credit where credit is due. Although it was a simple 2-yard draw play, I'm fond of this shot because of the emotion encapsulated within it. It is an island of calm amidst the chaos of the game.

Our defense once again put up a goose-egg. I'm happy to say I graciously contributed to that enterprise with 3 tackles, 2 assists, a sack and a tackle for loss. While not too spectacular, it was my best performance on D thus far. I think I'm improving!

Final: 52-0 W

Funny enough, I got another letter out of the Big East this week. Cincinnati took a shine to my offensive play, talking to me about playing as a HB at their school. Just like Syracuse, however, Cinci will have to take a backseat to West Virginia. I don't know if I would feel right playing for another Big East school. As a full spread team, Cinci doesn't really fit my style-of-play anyway. I'm not a straight-up speed back, but I certainly have enough to hang with the better backs at the HS level, particularly at my size.

I also got a look on defense from another MAC school. This time Miami of Ohio sent me some materials. While I am improving on defense, I still think my place is on the offensive side of the ball. I have to play to my strengths. I appreciate the interest at both positions, but for now, we'll just have to see how things play out the rest of the season.

Well we have a bye next week--a good week off to rest up and perhaps heal before our first conference game takes place. Now, 75% of our non-conference schedule is complete--only one more NC game come November 11th. In two weeks, conference play begins and we face Plymouth-Whitemarsh, a tough opponent who managed to get the better of us last season. They won 27-7. We finished neck-and-neck with them last year in the standings, earning 8 points and finishing at 4-2. Obviously they owned that head-to-head tiebreaker had it mattered.

They weren't wholly impressive last season, only going 6-5. They are 0-3 so far this season, but that was against some quality opponents the last two games. In fact they only narrowly lost to Abington--a very strong AAAA team. We will see how things go in two weeks. In the meantime, I gotta get ready for the game and practice, practice, practice! I do admit, it will be nice to have a Friday night of relaxation rather than tempestuousness.

Let's go Bears!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

Week 4

Another week, another win for the Golden Bears. After the bye, we came out fairly rusty against the Colonials of P-W. The first half was downright slow. PW really controlled the ball, and they were up 10-6 at the half. They continued a slow ball control game through the third quarter, but perhaps foolishly they decided to go for it on a 4th and 4 from our 20 yard line instead of kicking a FG. After that momentum shifted and our offense came alive.

We scored a TD on the next possession, had a pick-6 and another rushing touchdown in the 4th quarter to put the game away. PW scored again late, but time expired as they scored, so it hardly mattered in the end.

I have to say it was my best game overall thus far into the season. I even had a pass completion! Through the first half I had only managed to get 3 carries, as the coach seemed intent on the using the passing game, most likely because we were behind. But once we started using the run, we got ahead and stayed ahead.

My statline from the game - 12 carries, 112 yards, 3 TDs, 6 tackles, 1 pass defended, 1/1 for 5 yards

This was our first test as PW always plays us tough, but we got our revenge for last year.

This was taken in the first half as I was trying to shed off a PW defender.

My first pass! Looks like I should have been a QB haha. Coach runs a few wildcat plays every now and then and seems to trust my arm enough. The unfortunate part of this was I got rid of the ball right before I got blasted by the DT.

Here I'm zoning in on the QB going for the sack. I got by the OL but the QB released before I could get to him.

On another play I did get to the quarterback. I tried stripping the ball but was unsuccessful on that front.

Final: 27-17 W

On the college-interest front this week, I had interest from both Maryland and Navy for me at HB, but it was difficult to narrow those two choices down to one. I guess my rep is starting to spread south of the Mason-Dixon line. Because Army had already expressed interest in me, I decided to go with Maryland to avoid any more conflicts of interest down the line. Speaking of Army, the Coach called me to let me know I was going to be offered a full scholarship to play football at West Point! I was very excited, but I realized it will be a difficult decision later down the line. I'm not ready to commit anywhere just yet. It was, however, a great boost of confidence to know at least one school was that interested in me.

On the other side of the ball, MAC schools have continued to show interest in me at MLB. This time Toledo got in on the game. I wasn't the most excited about that news, but it definitely appears my talents at HB are much more highly touted. I'll see exactly where that takes me further in the season.

Next week we play Norristown, which will most definitely be our toughest test so far. They didn't perform to expectations last year only going 4-6, but this year they have started out 3-1. We won the game last year 17-14, but clearly it could have gone either way. Despite the losing record, they did finish +32 in point differential, and their defense did very well except against the strongest opponents.

Back to work I go. See ya'll next week!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
Pro

antixnette's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm following. Keep up the good job man!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

Keep Rollin man. You're killing it! Are leaning towards MLB or HB more?
GO BLUE!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »