Home

Big Football, Little Town - College Football Journey of Royce Mercer

This is a discussion on Big Football, Little Town - College Football Journey of Royce Mercer within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #17
Rookie

NDGipper32's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Big Football, Little Town - College Football Journey of Royce Mercer

College. Decisions, Decisions. OOOooOOo the Choices.

Royce's list of offered schools by position all totaled is 14. Royce got 9 offers at QB, and 6 offers at LOLB. Offered schools by position:

QB

LSU Tigers
Oregon Ducks

Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Arkansas Razorbacks
Boise State Broncos

Utah Utes
Wyoming Cowboys

Minnesota Golden Gophers
Army Black Knights

LOLB

BYU Cougars

Tennessee Volunteers

Washington Huskies
Wyoming Cowboys

Minnesota Golden Gophers
Army Black Knights

Teams bolded and colored are teams that are still being considered by Royce. His first choice would be to go to school to play QB, but he is not completely against playing LOLB in school, especially at BYU, Tennessee, Wyoming, and Army. For Royce, it would be nothing short of an absolute honor just to be on the team for Wyoming and Army, and even more of an honor to be on the field, so he will play any position he is asked.

Quarterback is Royce's natural position and he feels most comfortable playing it as well as enjoys it the most. Notre Dame, Wyoming, and Army are obviously his frontrunners, but Oregon and Boise State are difficult to just pass off in Royce's mind. He plans to take 5 official visits to schools. Three schools that he WILL visit are ND, WYO, and ARMY. The other two spots are in the air between Oregon, Boise, BYU, and Tennessee.

Royce has all but eliminated LSU, Arkansas, Utah, and Minnesota at QB. Washington and Minnesota at LOLB are also everything but nixed from contention for his services.

Current Dynasties ('14):
Playing: Year 6, New Mexico State Aggies 0-0. Week 1.

('11)
Idle: Year 9, Notre Dame Fighting Irish 0-0. Preseason.

Last edited by NDGipper32; 10-30-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #18
Rookie

NDGipper32's Arena

Newly built Mercer Household. November 12th 2012. Veteran's Day. Evening Dinner.

Shawn, Jodi, Royce, his uncles Josh and Matt and their wives, and his cousins Toryn and Myles are enjoying dinner in the astoundingly beautiful new home that the Spartans built for the Mercer Family and celebrating Veteran's Day as not only Shawn, but also both of his brothers Josh and Matt are Army veterans. They are enjoying an amazing meal cooked by the wives three; Jodi, Elise, and Amy. Elise is Josh's wife, and Amy, Matt's wife.

Toryn: Uncle Shawn! Aren't you thrilled that Royce is gonna make it to Notre Dame???

Shawn: Well, as you are all well aware, I would be thrilled to be the father of the QB at Old Notre Dame, however, I don't believe Royce has made a final decision yet. In fact I understand, that he will take visits to all of the schools he's interested in before the end of the semester and may even consider playing some 'D' at the next level.

Myles: What? Yo cuz, you are seriously thinking about NOT going to NOTRE DAME to play QB??? Have you lost it bro???

Josh: Can it Myles, Defense is the best part of football anyways. Ain't it Royce?

Matt: Josh, you're looney if you think Royce is best suited to play anywhere but QB and any place but Notre Dame. We all know how much you LOVE ND. Hell, we all LOVE ND. It's a no brainer.

Royce: GUYS!!! Can we just enjoy Veteran's Day dinner, that Mom, Aunt Elise, and Aunt Amy cooked for us? Do we always have to talk about football? Even on Veteran's Day? Since we are speaking of football and Veteran's Day, I don't know anything else I could do to make you guys more proud of me then continue my career at West Point, and serve as a Commissioned Officer in the world's greatest Army. Plus I know that Army has a lot of tradition, and I love their colors as well as the campus itself. As for you T, and Myles, and Uncle Matt, I haven't decided where I want to play. There are a lot of things to consider here. A West Point education would not only ensure me a career after football, but also the benefits of being a veteran. This country does a lot of cool things for Veterans. It's not bad looking on a resume either.

Shawn: Well that's all true, and this meal sure is top notch. However, ND can give you an even better education. They also aren't stuck in the 20's and 30's running the option offense. You have developed into a fine running QB son, but I think we all know your arm is what earned you all this attention this season.

Royce: I know, I know, I'm almost entirely sure I'll be playing QB in college, I just am anything but entirely sure where I'll be playing QB in college. I think I'll take a visit to Tennessee for 'D' and the SEC experience. Although the SEC makes me barf and all of it's fans are homers, of the entire conference. Which makes zero sense to me. I don't know who in their right mind would root for their rivals in the same conference as them just to try and prove they have the best conference in College. Blah. I'm not even sure a conference is a great idea. I love the idea of having 12 different opponents each and every year, with some long time rivalry exceptions of course.

Josh: So BYU is out for 'D' Royce? You're just going to look at Tennessee, Army, and Wyoming for potential college destinations on the defensive side of the ball?

Royce: Yeah Uncle Josh, I think so. I can't pass up the opportunity to see either Oregon or Boise State as the potential place I'll be playing QB. Too much success at both schools to just skip over them.

Shawn: That makes sense, son. I think you're heart is in playing QB, but Tennessee and the opportunity to play in one of the toughest conferences in the nation isn't a bad situation either. The challenge in helping bring Tennessee back to contention in the SEC is one that I think you'd flourish in as well. I know how much you love a tough challenge.

Royce: Yeah, plus they have some solid tradition and the have sweet colors. Their offense is usually pretty good as well. Maybe after Bray is gone, I could get a crack at QB too.

Toryn: Shoot, you know you wanna be on the offensive side of the ball, and Tennessee is cool and all, but If you wanna play with me again, You can bet you won't be if you choose Tennessee. SEC is NOT my style. At all. I need to stay more local. Closer to home.

Myles: Yeah cuz, you need to be slinging the rock for someone. That way in your Junior year we can set our sights on blowing all of the college football passing and receiving records out of the water dude!

Matt: That's what I like to hear. That's my boy. Offense is the place to be.

Josh: You're all a bunch of sissy divas, you wouldn't make it on the defensive side of the ball in big time college anyways. You don't got the pride, desire, or hustle to make an impact on D. You're also not crazy enough. Defensive guys are nutz.

Royce: Haha, thanks for the vote of confidence Uncle Josh.

Josh: Now Royce, its not that I don't think you can do it, it's that deep down, both you and I know you don't want to do it! You are a helluva QB! Maximize your talent! Not many people see the field like you do. Plus your football IQ is through the roof young man. You'd be a perfect college QB. Or a MLB, but you better bulk up about 30 pounds before you start thinking about that.

Royce: Haha, I'll lose all my speed if I put on 30 lbs!

Shawn: So it's down to ND, WYO, ARMY, TENN, and ORE/BOISE then son?

Royce: Sure thing dad. I think its safe to say that.

Jodi: Oh good news sweetie, I really like Oregon's colorful jerseys, and Boise State's blue field!!! Great Decision!!!

Royce: Thanks Maw, haha, now if you'll all excuse me, I need to go call Coach Mendenhall, Coach Kill, Coach Miles, Coach Smith, Coach Whittingham, and Coach Sarkisian to let them know my intentions to play football elsewhere.

Shawn: Go get em kid, That's really humble of you to call them all individually, they will all respect that.

Royce: Figured its the least I could do since I'm turning down their offer. I'll let you know how it goes.

Current Dynasties ('14):

('11)

Last edited by NDGipper32; 10-30-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #19
Rookie

NDGipper32's Arena

Mercer Household. Veteran's Day. A few hours later.

Royce: Well, that was easy enough. A few hiccups here and there, Coach Miles wasn't happy and didn't wanna give up on me. But I made it clear that outside of Wyoming, Army, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Oregon, and Boise State, I won't be fielding any calls, texts, emails, or interviews from any other interested school. I only have about a month and a half to narrow it down and sign my NLOI So I can get enrolled early at one of the six schools.

Shawn:
That's good son, I'm glad you are so task-oriented and are streamlining your recruiting process. A lot of kids your age would make a gimmick out of it and try to relish in the spotlight. Glad to see you have the big picture in mind and aren't fiddling around with silly games.

Josh:
Yeah, I gotta say, you might be the most well-mannered and smart kid I've known. You're even smarter than your old Dad was back in his day. A lot more focused too, err, well on football anyways. Your dad spent a hell of a lot of time focusing on things other than football. (Whispers in Royce's ear), *****. Don't tell your mom, or either of your Aunt's. They'll kill me! Hahaha!!!

Matt:
Great, so did you have time to get in touch with, Coach Christenson, Coach Ellerson, Coach Chip Kelly, Coach Brian Kelly, Coach Dooley, and Coach Peterson?

Royce:
Yeah, actually. I got all my visits planned too, well except my 5th one. They were thrilled to hear they all made it into my top 6. Trouble is, I can only take 5 officials. I need to figure out who to take my 5th official with, Boise State or Oregon? What do you guys think? Your my Coach's and my family? T, Myles, your my teammates, your input is important too. Being able to play together again in college would be amazing wouldn't it?

Matt,
Josh: (Simultaneously) Not Boise State.

Matt:
NO AQ status until 2013 @ the earliest. Even then, Lowly Big East.

Josh:
Yeah, your uncle has a point Royce.

Toryn:
Yeah bro, even with the new playoff format in 2014, they are slowly on the downturn now, and it'll only get worse when they face semi-better competition in the Big East in the next couple years. I don't wanna be playin' on no smurf field either. Sure the Big East is AQ, but the weakest of them all, by far.

Myles:
Naw man, I'm out on Boise State too, you know how much there would be to do besides football? Like nothing. I don't even know if they have women there. Haha.

Matt:
Slow down now son, don't need you focusing on women like your Uncle Shawn did. Haha, they cloud judgement and good decision-making, pretty easily too. Football first son.

Josh:
Ha, yeah you too Toryn. Football first.

Royce:
To tell you the truth, I don't really like the location anyways. The only thing Boise really has going for itself is the turf and the uni's. Their only good games are OOC each year, and the Big East isn't much of an improvement. So Oregon it is then.

Shawn:
As long as you're comfortable with those 5 son. Don't let us make the decision for you. Although I have to agree, I don't picture you as a Boise guy. The Big East is sad anyways.

Royce:
Yeah, I hear you dad, I hear you too Uncle Josh, Matt, T, Myles. Hopefully Mom can handle the news that i won't be playing on a blue field. Haha. It's getting late though. I need to hit the sack, Gotta get ready for all the tests before Thanksgiving break. Only like 10 days away. G'nite family!

Shawn,
Josh, Matt, Toryn, Myles, Jodi, Elise, Amy: (Simultaneously) G'nite Royce!

Current Dynasties ('14):

('11)

Last edited by NDGipper32; 10-30-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #20
Rookie

NDGipper32's Arena

Eugene Oregon. Local Hotel room. Thanksgiving Break.

Royce: So what did you think Dad? The academics are what really stand out for me. Not in a good way either, I don't think the curriculum will be challenging enough. I mean its certainly not up to Notre Dame's standards, nor to West Point's standards. I worry that I'll have trouble finding a job outside of football with this degree. It doesn't make as much of an impact as ND or Army degrees would.

Shawn: Yeah I hear you son. Academics are just as important as football too. However, the football team is great, the uniform possibilities are endless, the Pac-12 is a strong conference, Autzen is a literal zoo on gameday, and the CEO of Nike is an alum. Not to mention the amazing style of offense they play. Can you imagine slinging it 30 times a game and running it 20 more? All of this with such speed around you and a no-huddle drill that is unrivaled in college football today? Downright impressive.

Royce: Absolutely Dad, Coach Chip Kelly is really cool too. It's pretty far from ND though, and it's also no surprise the success Coach has had here. You think he stays past 2012?

Shawn: Good point son. Traveling to your games wouldn't be my favorite thing to do for 12 weekends in the fall either. Also, we can't be sure that Coach will be here afer this season. Especially if they win the BCSNCG. It is important though, that you don't just attend a school for the coach. It has to be a combination of things. A promising future, a program you're interested in, a great coach, a good fan base, a good location, and solid academics.

Royce: Yeah, It's definitely given me some things to think about. Anyways, let's get some sleep. we can talk more about it on the flight home tomorrow. Nite old man!

Shawn: Haha thanks son, G'nite.

Current Dynasties ('14):

('11)

Last edited by NDGipper32; 10-30-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #21
Rookie

NDGipper32's Arena

MSP Airport. November 30th 2012. On the way to the University of Tennessee.

Royce: Dad, I am having 2nd thoughts about trip. I can't picture myself playing LB in college. Throwing the ball is what I was born to do. Leading teams, meeting challenges head on, and reading Defenses, dissecting them. Playing Defense in college is a mistake. A misuse of my talent.

Shawn: Calm down son, no one is forcing you to play LB, at Tennessee or anywhere else. Just because you take this visit, doesn't mean you automatically have to come here and play the position. Just take in the visit, the atmosphere, meet the coaches, see how you feel in the heart of SEC territory. Nothing is set in stone.

Royce: Your right. Plus, I bet its a hell of a lot warmer in Tennessee then it is in ND or MN right now! Haha! Let's do this. Next stop, Rocky Top!

Current Dynasties ('14):

('11)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #22
Rookie

NDGipper32's Arena

Mercer Household. December 2nd, 2012. Breakfast.

Jodi: How was your trip to Tennessee my sweethearts 1 and 2?

Shawn: 1 and 2? Who's #2?

Royce: Obviously you are Dad, duh.

Jodi: Haha you silly boys. How about sweetheart's 1 and 1a then?

Shawn: Whatever mom, see how much you get for Christmas! Haha!! Just kidding Dear.

Royce: In all seriousness Maw, I think I can safely say that I don't want anything to do with any SEC school. I can't grasp the logic of their fans. Plus, I don't want to go to school and be worried all the time that someone is going to try to poison me, or club me in the knee with a lead pipe while I'm out jogging.

Seriously, crazy things like that happen in SEC country. It's weird. I read about it in the newspaper while I was there yesterday, a kid's dad, who is an Auburn fan, disguised himself as a Alabama fan and clubbed the 1st string QB in the knee with a lead pipe so his son who was 2nd string could be the starter and get a scholarship to Auburn. CRAZY!!! Besides, I really don't like the SEC, or playing LB in college. QB is the best position on the field. Plus, it provided me with basically no academic challenge whatsoever. I think I'm solid on QB in college.

Jodi: Oh dear, I don't think I like the idea of you living in a place like that anyways. You could get attacked for no reason at any time. No way! Tennessee is out!

Shawn: Well calm down, woman. I'm sure that was a very severe case of maniacal fanatacism and isn't very common. However, If you're confident and convinced you want to be a QB in college, then I can respect that decision. Academics really are not a strong point there anyways.

Royce: I better give them a call this afternoon or evening then. I know well enough that LB isn't my best position in college. I hope Coach Dooley is understanding about it and respects my decision.

Current Dynasties ('14):

('11)
Old 10-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #23
Rookie

NDGipper32's Arena

South Bend Indiana. December 8th 2012. ND Men's Basketball Game.

Royce: This is it! Can you believe it Dad? We're at Notre Dame!!! It's amazing, Touchdown Jesus, The Gug, The Old Guard, The Play Like A Champion Today sign in the locker room, The Golden Dome! I can't believe I am going to be playing QB at NOTRE DAME! The football team is Undefeated and poised for a 12th National Championship and I'm gonna be a part of this team next season!

Shawn: Absolutely son! It's a beautiful place! Not too far from home, and one of the most tradition-laden schools in the entire nation! Having a spot in the BCSNCG is just the icing on the cake!!! All of your hard work is going to pay off tonight!!!

Royce: Yee-Haw!!! I can't wait to tell Coach the news after the basketball game! I Can't wait to be part of IrishMob13!!! GO IRISH!!!

Current Dynasties ('14):

('11)
Old 10-30-2012, 03:16 AM   #24
Rookie

NDGipper32's Arena

ND Men's basketball. Post-Game. Coach Kelly's office.

Coach Kelly: So, how do you like your visit to South Bend so far guys?

Royce:
It is amazing. Absolutely amazing. Nothing short of breathtaking. Everything I dreamed it would be and so much more! How excited for the BCSNCG are you coach???

Coach Kelly:
Well young man, It's a big game, and I'm honored to be a part of such an event, it's been a long time since we have been in this position, and if you don't mind my saying, its about damn time. It's about time ND is back at the top of the CFB perch, where it belongs, it's been too long, and I'll be damned if I let ND lose this opportunity at greatness and let this National Championship slip away. We're still about a month away, but we will be preparing relentlessly and I have no doubt that we are fully capable of winning the 2012 FBS National Championship.

Shawn:
Wow, I truly cannot wait Coach. Hopefully we will be there to take it all in with you guys. Royce, do you think now is a good time?

Royce:
Yeah certainly! No time like the present! Coach, I am fully prepared and greatly honored to say today, that I have committed to the University of Notre Dame!!! Thank you so much for the opportunity to be a part of this great program!!!

Coach Kelly:
Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down young man. As you know, right now we have 3 spots left in our 2013 class. I'm glad that you were able to make it down here, and I'm glad that you have such an interest and an enthusiasm about our program, but you need to understand, I didn't ask you here today to get you to commit.

I am happy to host you, and all of ND is happy to host you, but we are in a delicate place with our commits. We still NEED to get a RB/slotback and another CB/S hybrid. There is no exceptions here. We will be very thin at RB/slotback next season with the likely departure of Theo, and Cierre. George isn't a slotback type. Keivarie is going to be a full time CB now, and Will Mahone is a pure power back. Cam McDaniel is purely a ST player. We NEED to add a hybrid RB/Slotback and a CB/S prospect before we can take any commits from other positions. The only other exception would be a WR and a hybrid LB/DE.

Look kid, I know you played your senior season at LB and got some significant attention, but you aren't ready to fill that need on our team. You only have one year of experience on D. There is no doubting your natural ability as a QB, but we currently have a logjam at the position as it is. That logjam consists of three guys that have more experience in college games than you. One is a RS FR who has led us to the BCSNCG, the other is proven starter in college, and the last guy still has more experience in CFB than you, and knows the playbook. That's not even including the Frosh that we just signed in 2012, who we are RS'ing this season.

I'm not sitting here saying that you can't and won't be a part of our team, but right now, the only guarantee we can give you is that we'll have to wait and see who else we can get on board this class, if anyone. As soon as I know how much room we have left and who exactly will or will not be signing in February, you will be the first guy on the list of signees that I call. But until then son, that's the best I can do. We have no room for extra's. RB/slotback, CB/S, LB/DE, and WR take precedence over QB. I'm sorry son, but I sure am glad to hear you are interested enough to offer us your commitment. We will undoubtedly stay in touch up until signing day.

Shawn:
WHAT THE ****??? You think you can do this to us? Host us and then turn us away when we offer our commitment? That's the most assinine thing I've ever heard, you just want us to wait and see? You sir, can go straight to hell, My boy is good enough to play anywhere, for anyone, and tight numbers or not, he is worth a scholarship. Now you are just gonna break this young man's heart? No sir, we will be leaving ASAP, and don't worry about making room for us and our commitment. That ship has sailed. Good luck in the BCSNCG, ROLL DAMN TIDE!!!

Royce:
Dad, wait! Or ****, I don't ****ing know. Coach, I thought you wanted me to be part of your team? Notre Dame is my ultimate dream! This was the best day of my life, now it's quickly became one of the worst.

I'm sorry coach, but I can't accept your offer. I refuse to be relegated to a situation in which you'll wait and see on whether or not I can start my future with you guys.

I am an EE anyways, so I am not going to wait until February. I'll be enrolling for the spring semester at whichever college I choose. Oregon, Wyoming, and Army all actually WANT me, and have a spot for me. I won't be forced to wait and see with them either. I am sorry coach, but I cannot and will not be disrespected like this. Good luck in the BCSNCG. Thanks for, well, just thanks.

Current Dynasties ('14):

('11)

Last edited by NDGipper32; 10-30-2012 at 03:35 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »