Home

A Second Chance: The Phoenix Young Story

This is a discussion on A Second Chance: The Phoenix Young Story within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Rookie

djvio_lator's Arena

OVR: 3

Game: NCAA 13
Sliders: CF47 Heisman Sliders
Roster: OS NCAA 13 Roster (Volstopfan14)

This is my first dynasty that I am writing here on OS, so I ask anyone that reads it to feel free to add input and suggestions. I am going to be starting off as an OC for FIU, but I'm going to play the game with a sense of realism. While I am an OC (whether for FIU or another school), I will not recruit, only suggest offensive players for the CPU to recruit based on needs on the offensive side of the ball. I'm also not going to handle other Head Coaching duties, like custom schedules, changing player positions and red shirting players. I'll save all of that for once I get a Head Coaching position.

Second, I am going to play every game in my dynasty. I know playing as a coach, that may be cheating a little, but I'm not a fan of coach mode in NCAA.

I'll have the beginning of the dynasty posted later tonight and I'll try to provide updates every 3-5 days as work and time permits.

A very special thanks to cusefan74 for his help and guidance. If you haven't checked out his coaching dynasty, check it out HERE
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Rookie

djvio_lator's Arena

Re: A Second Chance: The Phoenix Young Story

He had been the best. That is what Eric Maximus "Phoenix" Young had been told since the day he was born. He was a stand-out dual sport athlete at his high school, a small school from a tiny town in northern Michigan. He may not have received the same level of attention as the athletes from the larger cities, but that didn't matter to him. He knew what no else knew, he was the best.

Phoenix had been given his nickname during his freshman year. He was the only freshman on the varsity team and ended up starting at Quarterback that fall. To this day, he still has no idea where it came from, but the name stuck and the "Phoenix" was born. By the time his senior year rolled around, he had become a blue chip prospect in two sports, baseball and football. He had been informed by several MLB teams that they were going to draft him in the upcoming amateur draft, but he told each of them the same thing. Thanks, but no thanks, I'm going to college to play football. Why would he do that? It's simple really, he was the best.

When National Signing Day came, there was no cameras, no National media coverage, no reporters. It was just Phoenix, his classmates and some supporters from the local community. There was no offers from high profile universities or even mid majors. The only 3 schools that had offered Phoenix scholarships were Central Michigan, Tulane and Eastern Michigan. Perhaps it was the small school, his confidence that bordered on cocky and arrogant, or the rumors about his marijuana use. Whatever it was, the high profile programs never came calling. In the end, Phoenix chose Tulane and his college career was off and running.

The starter from day one, Phoenix would start every game all four years at Tulane. He led the Tulane Green Wave to it's first conference title since 1998, 3 bowl victories in 4 years and set nearly ever school passing record. Even with everything that he had accomplished, he was still considered a marginal NFL prospect. Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay each had a 4th round grade on him, saying that his athleticism for a QB was elite and he had above average accuracy and arm strength. However, they commented that his lack of competition may have inflated his stats and he was known to have a confident attitude that bordered on arrogant and cocky. It didn't matter what any of the experts said, Phoenix knew the truth. He was the best.

When the NFL draft came, Phoenix decided to watch it with his family and friends back in his hometown. Rounds 1,2,3,4 and 5 came and went without him being drafted. Then, early in the 6th round, the call came. It was from the 49ers, he was finally drafted. He said all the right things in his interviews, but it burned him, Phoenix knew he was a 1st round QB. He was ready to prove to the world what he and his family already knew. He was the best.

His first season was nothing special as the 3rd string QB, waiting and learning. When next season rolled around, he was ready to compete for the starting gig, but then, tragedy struck. While he was doing a basic drill in training camp, he heard and felt a pop in his throwing arm. He feared what he already knew, his elbow was tore up and he would need Tommy John surgery, ending his season. After rehabbing and working hard to get himself back to full strength, he was finally ready to show the world what he could truly do on the biggest stage. He started the 2nd preseason game, everything was going great, but then, in a moment it was all gone. He had torn his ACL on a simple cut to elude a tackler. Another surgery, another season lost. Next off season, he was cut and not claimed off waivers. His NFL career was over before it had even started.

After taking a break from the game, Phoenix got a call that he never expected. Chris Peterson, the Head Coach of Boise State, was in need of a new Quarterbacks Coach and he wanted it to be Phoenix. While he had never considered coaching before, Phoenix decided to accept the offer. Time had humbled him and he took every opportunity to learn from the great coaching staff at Boise State. After his first few seasons, his name was starting to be mentioned for a few Offensive Coordinators positions. Phoenix hoped that he would get his chance soon.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Rookie

djvio_lator's Arena

BREAKING NEWS- Florida International University is proud to announce the hiring of Eric "Phoenix" Young as our new Offensive Coordinator. We are very excited about this hire and we feel that Mr. Young will be bring a great sense of excitement and experience to our team.

Phoenix finally had his chance. He was ready to show that he could apply all of his skills he had learned on the football field and translate into a great offensive system. After he had thanked Chris Peterson and the rest of the Boise State Coaching staff, he hopped on a plane and headed down to Florida to start his new job.

The first thing that Phoenix had to do was evaluate the players that he was going to be coaching and how to best utilize their strengths. He knew that this team could be successful and he was ready to prove it.

FIU Depth Chart - 2012
Regular Offense
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
WRWayne TimesGlenn ColemanWillis Wright
TEYa'Keem GrinerZach SchaubhutJunior Delpe
LTCaylin HauptmannEdens SineacePrince Matt
LGDavid IstanichGiancarlo Revilla
CShae SmithDonald Senat
RGDavid DelsoinJordan White
RTRupert BryanAaron Nielson
WRJacob YoungerJairus WilliamsRaymond Jackson
QBJake MedlockLoranzo HammondsAkil Dan Fodio
FBZach Schaubhut
HBKedrick RhodesJeremiah HardenDarian MallaryShane Coleman

Old 05-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Rookie

djvio_lator's Arena

FIU 2012 Schedule
DATEOPPONENTRESULT
Sep 1at Duke
Sep 8vs Akron
Sep 15at UCF
Sep 22vs Louisville
Sep 29at UL Lafayette
Oct 4vs Arkansas State
Oct 13vs Mid Tenn State
Oct 20at Troy
Oct 27vs Western Kentucky
Nov 3vs FCS Southeast
Nov 16at Florida Atlantic
Nov 24vs UL Monroe

FIU is going to have a tough season ahead of them with difficult games against teams such as UCF and Louisville, but OC Phoenix Young thinks FIU is up to the task.

"I think we have a great team and I know the offense is going to be fun to watch. I'm excited to bring elements from the Boise State offense here to FIU and help to incorporate it into the existing offensive system." Young also went on to say, "When you have great players like Jake Medlock and Kedrick Rhodes leading your offense, you really don't have too much to worry about. I believe we can surprise a lot of people this year."

FIU kicks off it's season September 1st against Sean Renfree and Duke.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
Rookie

djvio_lator's Arena

FIU WINS OPENER

Florida International Golden Panthers at Duke Blue Devils
Sep 1, 20121ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Florida International Golden Panthers (1-0)01410731
Duke Blue Devils (0-1)760821
Team Stats Comparison
FIUDUKE
Total Offense426397
Rushing Yards16665
Passing Yards260332
First Downs1716
Punt Return Yards3618
Kick Return Yards18138
Total Yards480553
Turnovers21
3rd Down Converstion7-153-12
4th Down Conversion0-00-0
2-Point Conversion0-01-1
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals7-2-03-1-0
Penalties4-257-49
Posession Time19:5512:05
Florida International Golden Panthers
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Jake Medlock20/3526032
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Kedrick Rhodes261254.81
Jeremiah Harden7496.90
Jake Medlock1-8-8.00
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Jacob Younger810112.60
Wayne Times56513.00
Ya'Keem Griner22110.50
Glenn Coleman2178.51
Willis Wright14949.01
Jairus Williams177.01
Kedrick Rhodes100.00
Duke Blue Devils
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
S. Renfree25/4333221
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
J. Thompson12473.90
S. Renfree6111.80
J. Crowder177.00
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
C. Vernon710915.50
J. Thompson55110.21
D. Reeves44411.01
D. Scott46917.20
J. Crowder4328.00
I. Blakeney12727.00

DURHAM, N.C. (September 1, 2012)- FIU kicked off it's season with a convincing 31-21 win over the Duke Blue Devils. The Golden Panthers fell behind early 7-0 after Sean Renfree connected a 7 yd pass late in the first quarter. FIU would tie the score up late in the second quarter with a stellar 7 yd pass from Jake Medlock to Jairus Williams. The Blue Devils would score again quickly just one minute later, but then the the Golden Panthers responded with a TD of their own with 51 seconds left in the first half.

After the first half, the flood gates opened for the Golden Panthers, who would score 24 straight points to put the game away before a later kickoff return ended the run. During the scoring run, FIU would get two more passing TDs from Jake Medlock and a 30 yd TD run from Kedrick Rhodes.

First year Offensive Coordinator Eric "Phoenix" Young was mostly pleased with his offense's performance. "I thought we played pretty well today. Jake made a few poor throws that were intercepted, but otherwise he did great. Kedrick was just outstanding today, he really ran the ball hard and was great in pass protection as well." When asked if this first win was a statement win for this team, Young said, "It's not a statement at all, it's just a great first win to open the season. Duke is a good football team and they have a future NFL QB in Sean Renfree behind center. Anytime you can get the better of him, it's a great day. I'm just proud of the guys, they did great."

FIU comes home to play Akron next Saturday.

Photo credits:

FIU, (2012), FIU Kedrick Rhodes [ONLINE]. Available at: http://www.fiusports.com/Portals/1/D...odes_Duke1.jpg [Accessed 15 May 13]
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
Rookie

djvio_lator's Arena

FIU CRUSHES AKRON

Akron Zips at Florida International Golden Panthers
Sep 8, 20121ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Akron Zips (0-2)700613
Florida International Golden Panthers (2-0)3217738
Team Stats Comparison
AKRFIU
Total Offense193397
Rushing Yards78178
Passing Yards115219
First Downs1018
Punt Return Yards2032
Kick Return Yards6234
Total Yards275463
Turnovers21
3rd Down Converstion5-187-16
4th Down Conversion3-30-0
2-Point Conversion0-10-0
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals5-2-011-5-1
Penalties2-203-35
Posession Time10:5721:03
Akron Zips
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
D. Williams11/4511512
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
J. Chisholm12655.41
D. Williams781.10
Q. Hines155.00
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
J. Chisholm3268.60
K. Sconiers2136.50
T. Williams2168.00
M. Suel2157.50
R. Ladrach11515.01
L. Smith13030.00
Florida International Golden Panthers
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Jake Medlock18/3521921
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Kedrick Rhodes251295.11
Jeremiah Harden10252.51
Jake Medlock2-3-1.50
Darian Mallary3279.01
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Wayne Times77510.71
Ya'Keem Griner3165.30
Jacob Younger33812.60
Jairus Williams23718.51
Glenn Coleman23517.50
Willis Wright11818.00

MIAMI, Fla. (September 8, 2012)- FIU improved it's record to 2-0 in dominating fashion Saturday, beating the Akron Zips 38-13. The Golden Panthers racked up nearly 400 yards of total offense while holding the Zips to only 193 yards, including just 115 passing yards.

The Zips got out to an early 7-0 lead, but it never held the lead again. FIU would score 31 straight points lead by a pair of rushing TDs by Kedrick Rhodes and Jeremiah Harden. Quarterback Jake Medlock would add two passing TDs before the Zips ended the run early in the fourth quarter with a passing TD. Darian Mallary would add a 14 yd TD run late in the fourth quarter to wrap up the victory.

"Overall, a great win for the team", said OC Phoenix Young. "The offense was really clicking today, and even though I could nitpick about some of the throws Jake made and our need to improve our red zone percentage, I'm still happy with our effort. We improved our 3rd downs today and that made moving the ball a lot easier. The defense was great too, giving us plenty of opportunities to try and score." When asked if he thought his comments about starting QB Jake Medlock could be considered controversial, given the teams big win, Young simply responded, "No, I'm just being honest, nothing more, nothing less."

FIU travels to Orlando next week to take on the UCF Golden Knights. UCF is coming off a big upset win over Ohio State this week and will be a big road test for the Golden Panthers.

Photo Credits:

Al Diaz/Miami Herald Staff, (2012), Jacob Younger [ONLINE]. Available at: http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/...cxl.St.56.jpeg [Accessed 15 May 13].
Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

Pkendrick Rhodes looking good so far keep it up man.

NFL- BUCCS
NBA- MAGIC
NCCAF- FLA
AFGHANISTAN "2011-12" WAR VET

Redzone League
Cleveland Browns
Season 3 (7-9)
Season 4 (1-0)

Jacksonville Jaguars
Season 6 (0-0)
Old 05-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Rookie

djvio_lator's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yubbed
Pkendrick Rhodes looking good so far keep it up man.
Thanks man, appreciate it. OL has been pretty solid so far which has been a big help. I should have another update later tonight.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »