Home

Tulane Football: "From Worst to First"

This is a discussion on Tulane Football: "From Worst to First" within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
MVP

kswgrad2012's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Tulane Football: "From Worst to First"

So I had my Green Wave team rolling on a 4-game winning streak after a 0-3 start. Only to lose this week to a WINLESS team.

The Green Wave dropped a 21-13 decision to the South Florida Bulls, who finally claimed their first win of the season. Both teams approached the game in similar fashion: establish the ground game, play good defense. Well neither team was really able to run the ball; the Wave were held to 164 yards on the ground, 2nd-lowest of the season. The Bulls fared far worst at 88 yds. But both defenses played stout today. I was surprisingly impressed with my defense's performance.

The Green Wave (now 4-4, 4-1 AAC) have a much-important contest coming up in Cincinnati. the #7 Bearcats are firing on all cylinders this season, coming off that huge win @ Ohio State. While they will not be undefeated in conf. play as they had hoped, the Wave are still very much looking forward to this game. We just hope they're still hung over on that win!

In other news, Coach Kaelyn Willingham has brought his career win-loss record at Tulane to 16-17 overall, 13-8 in conference play. Having won more games as head coach than the previous THREE Tulane coaches combined, the Athletic Department is looking at a hefty contract extension for him .
Old 11-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
MVP

kswgrad2012's Arena

GREEN WAVE UPSET CINCINNATI!!!

The Green Wave pull off a historic upset, beating the #6 Bearcats 48-41 in Cincinnati over the weekend. The win gives Tulane its first win vs. a Top 10 opponent in team history, and puts them in prime position to win its first American Athletic Conference title, at 5-1 in conference play.

For a team that struggled to run the ball against USF, the Green Wave put up 400 on the ground versus the Bearcats. Another 100 in the air gave them 500 for the day. Though the defense didn’t help by making it a shootout, they made the plays they needed to make to secure the victory.

The Wave (5-4, 5-1 American) turn their attention to closing the season. They have a battle with UCF and Temple for the conference title. Neither team do the Green Wave play this season.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

Congrats on your Top-10 win and current spot atop the AC. Do you plan on staying with Tulane longterm? and if so do you hope to one day move them to the SEC?

I am in my 4th year at Georgia State and after going 11-2 and winning the Sunbelt in my 2nd year with the team I moved them to Independent Status. I then went 4-0 against SEC opponents and 10-2 Overall before beating Arizona in my bowl game, so I went ahead and made a massive change with the SEC adding 6 teams, well moving TAMU and Arkansas to the Big 12, Missouri to the Big Ten and Kentucky to the ACC.

Anyways good luck moving forward
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
MVP

kswgrad2012's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
Congrats on your Top-10 win and current spot atop the AC. Do you plan on staying with Tulane longterm? and if so do you hope to one day move them to the SEC?

I am in my 4th year at Georgia State and after going 11-2 and winning the Sunbelt in my 2nd year with the team I moved them to Independent Status. I then went 4-0 against SEC opponents and 10-2 Overall before beating Arizona in my bowl game, so I went ahead and made a massive change with the SEC adding 6 teams, well moving TAMU and Arkansas to the Big 12, Missouri to the Big Ten and Kentucky to the ACC.

Anyways good luck moving forward

Thanks man!

Yes I do plan to stay with the Green Wave long term. I'm doing a "1 star to 6 star" dynasty. I'm gonna stay in the AAC until I win some BCS games & attain big-time status. I'm debating moving them to the SEC & playing stiff competition, or moving to the ACC & playing "smart schools." I recruit based on our academic grade (A+), and was thinking of adding Notre Dame to the ACC as well if I went there.

What do you think?

By the way, nice work with GSU! I know a lot of people who struggle with them. Keep me updated!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
MVP

kswgrad2012's Arena

Thought I’d give you guys an update on how the season finished. Just finished Season 3 (2014) last night, and it ended on a high note.

Week 11, BYE WEEK: The Green Wave were off this week, but we did get some things accomplished. My recruiting class is shaping up to be a good one, as this season I decided to focus on improving the defensive side of the ball. We’ve got some good D-linemen coming in to improve our pass rush, and we’ve also added some players in the secondary. I’ll go in-depth into the recruiting on my blog, but go there & check out these stud ATH’s I’m recruiting. One of them could be the next Myles Jack…

Week 12, vs. Marshall: The Green Wave came fresh off the Bye still buzzing over the win @ Cincinnati (who, by the way, has lost 3 straight games). But they weren’t able to keep their momentum going. The Wave suffered defeat at the hands of the Thundering Herd, who were firing on all cylinders throughout the game. The Wave couldn’t run the ball, amassing a season low 77 yards on 43 carries. Much of the season-high passing yardage came in garbage time after the game was well-in-hand. FINAL SCORE: Marshall 27, Tulane 11

Week 13, vs. Tulsa: The Wave would rebound after the disappointing loss the last week at home. They would send their seniors out right on Senior Day with a home victory vs. Tulsa. Tulsa, who has struggled all season, continued their woes against the Green Wave, who seemed to get their mojo back. The running game was working, the defense played tough, and they blew them out. FINAL SCORE: Tulane 45, Tulsa 16

Week 14, @ ECU: The Wave came into this game knowing the conference title was on the line. They played hard and outlasted a feisty Pirates team. Though the Wave will have to go forward without one of their own, as QB Devin Powell went down with an undisclosed injury. Nonetheless, FINAL SCORE: Tulane 41, ECU 38

End of Season info coming up!

Last edited by kswgrad2012; 11-26-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
MVP

kswgrad2012's Arena

6-6 (5-4 ACC) vs. 7-5 (7-1 American)

We're in the Belk Bowl!

The regular season is over, Bowl Season is upon us! Tulane has accepted a bid to play in the 2014 Belk Bowl against Florida State at Bank of America Stadium: home of the Carolina Panthers! The Green Wave are excited for the game, as they get to play another tough competitor in the ACC’s Seminoles. Though Florida State did not have the season they anticipated finishing 6-6, they were still able to hang tough with some of the nation’s best competition. Players from both teams are looking forward to the matchup, as many of them grew up together in the South and will be reunited for the game.

Coach Kaelyn Willingham is excited for the game, as he doesn’t get to coach against this type of competition very often. “I’m excited for the game, I’m excited for the players.” he says. “It’s nice to go to a bowl game that’s close to home. I’m sure family and friends will be excited to travel!”

The game will be broadcast on ESPN, and local networks. Tune in! And stay tuned for post-game coverage!

Last edited by kswgrad2012; 11-26-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
MVP

kswgrad2012's Arena

Wild Game in Charlotte!

A game that quickly became a defensive struggle. A game in which the offense didn’t show up until the end. A game in which one team committed SIX turnovers and never fell out of the game. A game in which a 3rd-string True Freshman QB made the biggest plays. And a game that would come down to a freshman mistake. This was Tulane-Florida State.

The Green Wave went into the Belk Bowl knowing they had quite a task at hand, taking on a Florida State team that didn’t have the season they wanted, but were still a feisty team to mess with. The game began with an early Tulane turnover by QB Tim Ashley; thankfully the Wave defense was able to hold the Seminoles to 3. Ashley would go on to fumble the ball THREE more times in the first half, losing two of them. The god news: after a few defensive stops (including a key 4th-down stop in the Florida State redzone), the game would go into the half tied 3-3.

Needing a spark on offense, Coach Willingham would not turn to Ashley in the 2nd half. Nor would he turn to QB Devin Powell; Powell broke his collarbone in the last game of the regular season, and his season in over. Willingham chose to turn to the Number 3: Maurice Johnson. The true freshman would come in and immediately make his impact. He would have a historic day, rushing for a Belk Bowl record 233 yards on 15 carries. It seemed like every time Tulane’s defense would bail out the offense, the offense would give Florida State the ball right back. Tulane would turn over the ball SIX times in the game, including 5 fumbles.

FSU would take a 17-10 lead, but then Johnson would make his biggest play of the game. Running for a 67-yd touchdown with 1:13 left in the game, Johnson would help tie the game at 17. But then FSU would come back. Marching down the field in under 40 seconds, FSU QB Clint Trickett would throw a deep bomb TD to take the lead. Then the drama: The Green Wave would get the ball back, then with 10 seconds left Johnson would complete a bomb down the field to WR Shawn Henry. With :03 left Tulane just needs to spike the ball then set up the Hail Mary. But Johnson audibles out of the spike play, then tries to go back to it while letting the game clock run down to :00. No timeouts, GAME OVER. Tulane loses 24-17.

The Wave finish the season 7-6, but hope to put the bowl loss behind them as they hope to continue the success they had this season going forward. The Green Wave would love to win a conference title in 2015, and Coach Kaelyn Willingham will be looking for a new contract in the offseason.

Last edited by kswgrad2012; 11-29-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
MVP

kswgrad2012's Arena

2014 End of Season News

Season 3 of the dynasty series is over. Time for some news.

Coach Willingham has decided to stay with the team, signing a 2-yr contract extension through 2016. He finishes his last contract with 90% Job Security, and looks forward to the 2015 season.

Woo-hoo! Tulane has gained a star in Prestige. Hooray for 2 STARS!

The Green Wave had 5 players make 2nd-Team All-Conference status: RG Corey Redwine, MLB Jamie Baker, CB Jordan Batiste, FS Renaldo Thomas, and K Cairo Santos

In other news, there were some great BCS bowl games this year. Miami beat Ohio State in the Rose Bowl, Auburn beat Texas in the Sugar Bowl, Iowa beat Louisville in the Orange Bowl, Florida beat Oklahoma State in the Fiesta Bowl.

And in the BIGGEST game of them all: #2 Oregon beat #1 Notre Dame to win the 2015 BCS National Championship.

This Season’s Conference Winners:
ACC: Louisville
American Athletic: UCF
Big 12: Texas
Big Ten: Iowa
C-USA: FIU
MAC: Ohio
Mountain West: Boise State
Pac-12: Oregon
SEC: Auburn
Sun Belt: Western Kentucky

Last edited by kswgrad2012; 11-29-2013 at 06:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »