Home

Taters to Gators? - Yengator's NCAA 14 Coaching Career and Playoff Chronicles

This is a discussion on Taters to Gators? - Yengator's NCAA 14 Coaching Career and Playoff Chronicles within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #41
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Taters to Gators? - Yengator's NCAA 14 Coaching Career and Playoff Chronicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yengator
Hmmm. I started with Charter's also...do you play or sim the defense? I'm an OC, so I'm usually simming and occasionally watching.
In the dynasty I ran here, I'm the OC so I hit Watch Play when my team is on defense. But in my offline dynasty I am the Head Coach and while I let the CPU call the plays (ask coach, pick one of the 1st 3 plays to appear) and only control the DT I still get similar results.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #42
Rookie

Yengator's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Taters to Gators? - Yengator's NCAA 14 Coaching Career and Playoff Chronicles

2017 Offseason News

After Idaho won their first conference title since 1998, it was no surprise that the Vandals coaching staff was raided following the season.

Head Coach Paul Petrino was the first to depart, leaving his alma mater for TCU, after previous coach Gary Patterson was fired.

Despite my loyalty, and 28-24 record as offensive coordinator with the Idaho program, I was not offered the head coaching position to replace Petrino. Instead, that went to DC Andy Fernando, who accepted. I'll admit I was slightly peeved at this development.

Instead of staying on as OC under Fernando, I decided to leave Idaho and mulled over my options. Coach Petrino first offered me a very tempting opportunity to join him as OC at TCU. After giving it some careful consideration, I decided against a job with such high expectations (10 wins per year), given my relative inexperience (Level 9).

Fortunately, several other interesting opportunities were available. First, I was offered the head coaching job at San Jose State, which I ultimately declined as I didn't feel the timing or fit were right for me. I then considered and rejected several OC positions, including UConn, Louisiana Tech, Akron, UTSA, UL Monroe, and Southern Miss. Ultimately, I decided to accept the OC position at Illinois under head coach Shawn Watson.

Former WKU and USF coach Willie Taggart was the previous OC at Illinois, and I look to build upon the recent success the offense had before he was named Arizona's OC.

Watson (former Louisville OC), Taggart and DC Joe Tumpkin each joined Illinois in 2014 and immediately turned around a team that went 2-10 in Tim Beckman's final season in Champaign. In three seasons, Watson's teams have gone 7-6, 5-7 and 8-5, with a Holiday Bowl victory last season.

Illinois' 2017 schedule has been released:
Week 2: vs. Ball State
Week 3: at USF
Week 4: vs. Western Kentucky
Week 5: vs. Notre Dame (Soldier Field)
Week 6: at Michigan
Week 7: vs. Penn State
Week 9: vs. Nebraska
Week 10: at Iowa
Week 11: at Minnesota
Week 12: vs. Purdue
Week 13: at Wisconsin
Week 14: vs. Northwestern

Indiana fires Kevin Wilson and hires Ole Miss OC Dan Werner.

Purdue fires Todd Monken after one season and hires SMU coach Brent Guy.

Arkansas fires Pete Lembo after one season and hires OSU DC Mark Dantonio.

Missouri replaces the retiring Gary Pinkel with Arkansas State coach Ted Roof.

Washington fires Steve Sarkisian and hires FIU coach Josh Conklin.

Arizona State fires Todd Graham and hires Ball State's David Gibbs.

Utah fires Dave Aranda and hires Wisconsin OC Andy Ludwig.

NC State fires Dave Doeren and hires Texas DC Greg Robinson.

Pittsburgh fires Dave Clawson and hires New Mexico coach Craig Naivar.

Oregon State fires Mike Riley and hires former Iowa State and WMU coach Paul Rhoads.

Kansas State coach Bill Snyder retires for a second time. Former TCU coach Gary Patterson slides over to K-State.

Kansas fires John Papuchis and hires former Penn State and EMU coach Bill O'Brien.

One again, there is no coaching turnover in the Independent ranks.

SMU replaces the departed Brent Guy with former Pitt coach Dave Clawson.

Ball State hires Boise State OC Robert Prince as its next head coach, replacing David Gibbs (now at Arizona State).

Eastern Michigan hires Clemson OC Chad Morris, replacing Bill O'Brien (now at Kansas).

Toledo fires Matt Campbell and hires UCF DC Jim Fleming.

Western Michigan hires Arizona OC Calvin Magee as its next head coach. Paul Rhoads leaves to go to Oregon State.

FIU replaces Josh Conklin (new Washington HC) with current OC Cameron Turner.

New Mexico Criag Naivar (new Pitt coach) is replaced by Boise State DC Pete Kwiatowski.

South Alabama fires Mike London and hires former Utah HC Dave Aranda.

Arkansas State replaces Ted Roof (new Mizzou HC) with Thom Kaumeyer (WKU DC).

Last edited by Yengator; 03-01-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #43
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

Gary Patterson got fired?? OK then....

Congrats on going to the Illini. Should be a bit better there than at Idaho.

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

Congrats on the move to the Big Ten. Should be fun and challenging. Interesting to turn down a HC job like San Jose State, but I like the idea of going from a OC at a small school to a big school before taking that job. I totally understand your decision, because Coach Chang is currently only a Level 11 and recruiting has been difficult without all those coach tree points to help. I have lost out on 3 recruits already because I can't use the unlock button.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #45
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

OVR: 9

I like the idea of moving to better schools as an OC as well. Good luck in Illinois, sucks that Idaho went with the DC instead of offering you the position. I assume you weren't even considered for it. What was Illinois' "requirement" of wins per season?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #46
Rookie

Yengator's Arena

Thanks everybody for checking in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesportsguru11
Gary Patterson got fired?? OK then....

Congrats on going to the Illini. Should be a bit better there than at Idaho.
Thanks. I was also a bit surprised to see Patterson get the boot. He only really had one poor season (this past one when he went 4-8). The first three years he went 10-3 (Big 12 champs), 8-5 and 9-4. Not sure what else they could possibly be looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
Congrats on the move to the Big Ten. Should be fun and challenging. Interesting to turn down a HC job like San Jose State, but I like the idea of going from a OC at a small school to a big school before taking that job. I totally understand your decision, because Coach Chang is currently only a Level 11 and recruiting has been difficult without all those coach tree points to help. I have lost out on 3 recruits already because I can't use the unlock button.
Exactly my thoughts. I didn't feel like I had done enough to earn a HC job anyways. Our offensive stats have been decent considering the squad we had, but hardly better than average overall. Plus we've consistently struggled with turnovers and I need to get that cleaned up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker91
I like the idea of moving to better schools as an OC as well. Good luck in Illinois, sucks that Idaho went with the DC instead of offering you the position. I assume you weren't even considered for it. What was Illinois' "requirement" of wins per season?
Correct, I wasn't even considered; I'm not that disappointed I didn't get the job, however Fernando sure as hell didn't deserve it!!

Illinois is looking for 8 wins which seams doable. They are losing a first round draft pick (Wes Lunt) at QB, so there might be a rebuilding process involved before we get there though.

Last edited by Yengator; 03-01-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #47
Rookie

Yengator's Arena

2017 Season Preview

Offensive Coordinator

Recruiting Recap:

Notre Dame hauls in the top class, followed by Ohio State, Stanford, South Carolina and Pittsburgh. My former team, Idaho had a pretty solid class at #64 (seven 3-stars, eight 2-stars and three 1-stars).

While I didn't have much say in this year's recruits, Illinois brings in the #35 class (good for seventh in the Big Ten). Our class consists of one 4-stars, twelve 3-stars, two 2-stars and one 1-star.

Position-by-Position Breakdown:

Quarterbacks

First round draft pick Wes Lunt departs, but the Fighting Illini have another top QB waiting in the wings in RS-Senior Aaron Bailey (93 OVR). Known more for his leg than his arm, Illinois will likely employ a more option-heavy playbook this year than what was seen during my time in Idaho.

RS-Sophomore backup James Foster (82) is more of a passing threat and will likely be in line to see the field after Bailey departs this offseason.

The Illini did not pick up any recruits at this position this past year.

Running Backs

RS-Senior Kendrick Foster (88), RS-Sophomore Brandon Kenney (86) and junior fullback Dustin Wright (85) will form an excellent trio in the backfield. Along with Bailey, expect Illinois to use a heavy rushing attack this year to take advantage of their talents.

Recruits:
HB Stefan Felder (67) - Belleville, IL

Receivers and Tight Ends

Senior receiver Gary McCollum (91) out of Washington, DC is a standout possession receiver who broke out this past season under Willie Taggart. RS-Senior tight end Jonah Hill (89), fresh off his role in "The Wolf of Wall Street" is a pre-season All-American and poised to be a favorite target up the middle. Junior receivers Daniel Wolfe (84), Avery Campbell (82), Larry Owens (82) and Michael Young (76) fill out the rest of the depth chart.

Recruits:
WR Montavious Mann (69) - Blair, NE
WR Matt Frye (69) - Ft. Myers, FL
WR Paul Harvey (64) - North Platte, NE
WR Michael Hawkins (63) - Burlington, NC
TE Mike James (63) - Sitka, AK

Offensive Line

Senior Jesse Chadwell (78), junior Scott Hayden (82), senior Anton Brown (87), senior Tyler White (79) and junior Scott Webb (81) make up a solid starting five, with three experienced linemen backing them up.

Recruits:
G Kareem Slaughter (68) - Quincy, IL
G Bobby Douglas (67) - Franklin, IL
G Jason Ross (66) - Rockford, IL
C Chris Copeland (71) - Addison, IL
T Rob Mayhew (66) - Chino, CA

Defense

Starting Lineup:

DE - Dawuane Smoot (RS-Sr, 84)
DE - Paul James (RS-Sr, 83)
DT - Bryce Douglas (RS-Sr, 88)
DT - Jarrod Clements (RS-Sr, 84)
OLB - Robert Butler (RS-So, 75)
MLB - Willie Hughes (So, 74)
OLB - Aaron Owens (RS-Sr, 75)
CB - Brandon Dudley (RS-So, 82)
CB - Gary Thompson (Fr, 79)
FS - Brad Coe (RS-Jr, 83)
SS - Caleb Day (RS-Sr, 86)

Recruits:
DE Adam Williams (73) - Rock Island, IL
DE Dominic Holmes (71) - Wheaton, IL
CB Gary Thompson (79) - Fairborn, OH

Special Teams

K - Brian Covington (So, 85)
P - Jay Davis (Jr, 86)

Click here to view the complete 2017 roster.

Team Ratings

OVR: 88
OFF: 93
DEF: 83

Season Preview

While the Illini face a tough conference schedule, plus a neutral-site game against Notre Dame, the talent appears to be in place for the Illini to not drop off too far from their 8-5 season a year ago.

QB Aaron Bailey is an excellent runner, but has a weak arm. our best game plan likely will be to control the clock and run at least twice as often as we pass. If Bailey has to win games with his arm, it would seem to be a long season for the Illini. As a result, I've added a few pistol running formations to my Shotgun-centered playbook, and will look to run downhill as much as possible.

We're picked to finish fourth in the West division, behind Nebraska, Wisconsin and Minnesota. If we can pull that off, we'll likely be in line for the program's second bowl-eligible season of this dynasty.

Last edited by Yengator; 03-07-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #48
Rookie

Yengator's Arena

2017 Regular Season Recap

Offensive Coordinator

Week 2: Won 24-14 vs. Ball State (6-6)
View Game Box Score and Stats

My first game at Illinois was looking ominous early as we found ourselves down 14-0 early in the second quarter to Ball State. However, the ground and pound attack finally punched through as we scored 24 unanswered points to close out the game. QB Aaron Bailey, RBs Kendrick Foster, Brandon Kenney and Dustin Wright combined for a powerful option rushing attack that amassed 246 yards on the ground.

Week 3: Won 17-14 (OT) at USF (6-6)

I'm sure the Illinois faithful were questioning my hire after this performance. Against a mediocre USF squad, our team struggled to move the ball all day and relied on stellar defensive play to stay in the game. Bailey threw for just 105 yards and two picks and we needed an overtime field goal to best the lowly Bulls, who had won a grand total of six games in the three years prior to this season.

Week 4: Won 20-17 vs. Western Kentucky (9-4)

In a game that set back college football decades, WKU and my Fighting Illini offense combined for a grand total of 497 yards between the two teams. Those who remained after halftime saw Illinois squeak out the win on a field goal with 15 seconds remaining. In a familar sight, the Illini fell behind by multiple scores in the first half, before wearing down the opponent in the second half.

Week 5: Lost 41-10 vs. Notre Dame (9-3) - Soldier Field

Despite our team's 3-0 record, I found myself with dwindling job security, and our squad's performance against the Fighting Irish did not help my cause. We found ourselves down 31-0 at the half, and didn't make things competitive at any point. Bailey continued his poor play through the air, passing for only 78 yards and three interceptions.

Week 6: Lost 24-17 at Michigan (9-3)

This one was a heartbreaker. After hiding our quarterback's supposed passing ineptitude for the first several games, I changed our offensive philosophy late in the second quarter. I returned to the more pass-happy approach that worked well during my time at Idaho, and Aaron Bailey found his rhythm. The Illini fought back from a 21-0 deficit, but came up half a yard short on a fourth down late in the game. Instead of driving for a game-winning touchdown, Michigan milked the clock and kicked a late field goal that sealed the win for the Wolverines.

Week 7: Lost 50-30 vs. Penn State (6-6)

Perhaps we went a little too far with the move to a passing-focused offense. While Bailey passed for 446 yards and contributed four touchdowns on the day, the three interceptions (including two pick-sixes) were killers. Although we moved the ball at will against the Nittany Lions, we never could get over the hump, and Penn State put half a hundred on our defense.

Week 9: Lost 17-13 vs. Nebraska (9-3)

For a game where neither team could surpass even 20 points, this one was an exciting back-and-forth affair that had the faithful at Memorial Stadium on the edges of their seats. In a throwback option affair, Bailey and RB Kendrick Foster combined for 201 yards on the ground as Illinois lead the Huskers 13-10 late. However, Nebraska would capitalize on a back-breaking Adam Butler touchdown with 1:51 remaining and would not relinquish the lead. The Fighting Illini now find themselves at 0-3 in conference play.

Week 10: Won 51-7 at Iowa (5-7)

Leading an offense that is only averaging 21.8 ppg doesn't make you the most popular man in Champaign. I'm now firmly on the hot seat and beginning to fire up my resume when my team pulls this shocking performance out of thin air. Jonah Hill finally showed why he received preseason All-American accolades, hauling in 9 catches for 158 yards and a TD as we blew out the Hawkeyes in Iowa City.

Week 11: Lost 35-28 at Minnesota (9-3)

Jonah Hill had another spectacular game as he added 102 receiving yards and two touchdowns as the Cardiac Kids from Champaign put up a valiant fight against the heralded Golden Gophers. In exciting fashion, the Illini scored two TDs in the fourth quarter to pull ahead late by a single point. However, the bend-but-don't-break Illinois defense finally snapped as Minnesota scored the go-ahead touchdown in the final minute. With the loss, the Illini fall to 1-4 in conference play, assuring that we will not make it to Indy in my inagural season.

Week 12: Lost 27-23 vs. Purdue (5-7)

This one was hard to rationalize if you're an Illini fan. In this rivalry game, we came out flat against one of the worst teams in the conference and simply let Purdue hang around. After failing to put our opponent away, the Boilermakers scored the go-ahead touchdown with ten seconds remaining, breaking our hearts once again. The last-second heartbreakers are becoming an all-too-common trend in these parts.

Week 14: Won 20-17 at Wisconsin (7-5)

At 4-6, our backs were against the wall and we decided to go back to basics on offense. Returning to a ball control offense, we overcame four lost fumbles in the rain to hold the Badgers to a 17-17 tie late in the fourth quarter. After a season of frustration, it was finally our turn to pull out a win in the closing seconds as kicker Brian Covington converted the game-winner for a narrow victory in Madison.

Week 15: Won 58-14 vs. Northwestern (3-9)

What a Senior Day performance. Saying goodbye to Aaron Bailey, Jonah Hill, Kendrick Foster and a host of seniors, our team came out gangbusters and stomped the Wildcats out of the opening gate. Bailey was the dual-threat monster we hoped he could be, passing for 429 yards and rushing for another 96. Most importantly, he threw for four TDs and added another two scores on the ground in a career-best performance. With the win, we finish the regular season at 6-6 (3-5) and wait for an eventual bowl bid.

Closing Thoughts:

Things looked quite bleak deep into the season, but our guys finished strong and pulled out a bowl bid in a year that was riddled with heartbreak.

Despite having a team stocked with experienced and talented players, there was always a feeling that we were fitting a square peg into a round hole--specifically the gameplan around Aaron Bailey. It seems we never quite figured out his abilities, and neither did he. Despite being a consistently strong runner, he struggled to make plays in crunch time and was wildly erratic through the air. When he got hot, he was on fire. But when things went south, the lack of confidence snowballed.

Going in to the season, we knew we were stocked at RB and FB, and the results spoke for themselves. Kendrick Foster was very reliable, and Brandon Kenney and Dustin Wright showed signs of being able to carry the load next season.

At receiver, Jonah Hill and Gary McCollum were the stars, however we ended up having a deep unit filled with talent and experience. Larry Owens and Avery Campbell each especially showed promise and contributed at key moments.

In a transition year, it's hard to be too disappointed with a 6-6 season and a bowl bid, however, we left several possible victories on the table. It could have been a much more special season, however, it wasn't meant to be.

Following our 10th place finish in the Big Ten, we received an invite to the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl in Detroit, Michigan, to take on my alma mater, the Florida Gators (also 6-6).

Click here to view team schedule, stats and more...

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »