Home

We Are... PENN STATE!

This is a discussion on We Are... PENN STATE! within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Breaking News: Vincent fires everyone

Vincent Archer has told all of the current coaches, coordinators, and assistants to leave, basically firing them. All of this happened after he interviewed them, and ran through a normal practice with them.

Archer was quoted as saying "We want a fresh start here, and this is my way of doing that."

He had also been quoted as saying something along the lines of "I'll look to Pine Bridge, Minnesota State, and Michigan State for assistants and coaches first, then it's open to the public."

And at the final interview Coach Vincent Archer said "Practice starts tomorrow, and no one has a spot on this team, we are starting fresh."

It will be interesting to see how all of this goes down and who get the coaching jobs. More news as it happens will be released.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
Leyenda

RoundingThird's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Breaking News: Vincent fires everyone

I'm definitely following this. I was considering Penn State way back when, before I settled on Bowling Green.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #11
Rookie

Preseason Preview: Roster Breakdown

Penn State Season Preview: Quarterbacks
By: Phillip Weaver

Players:
Christian Hackenberg; 6'3"; 234 lbs; Sophomore
Michael O'Connor; 6'4"; 226 lbs; Freshman
Trace Mcsorley; 6'; 192 lbs; Freshman

If this was the same Penn State with the same coaches, there wouldn't even be a question as to who will start quarterback. However, the Bill O' Brien era was short lived, and we have no idea what system Vincent Archer is going to put in at Penn State.

Christian Hackenberg, the returning starter, was very impressive in his freshman season even drawing comparison to Jay Cutler, on the way he can throw on the run and in various different positions. The once five-star recruit will be looking to start this season and to lead this Penn State team, but first he's got to convince the coach.

Then we have Michael O'Connor, a tall big pocket passer. He doesn't look to pose any threat to Christian Hackenberg starting, but we've all seen crazier things happen. The pocket passer out of Ottawa-Hull, Cincinnati does have very impressive arm strength and very good accuracy, but I believe that Christian Hackenberg still has him beat.

Then we have the wild card, out of Annandale, Virginia. The six foot scrambler is fun to watch when he can get into space and run. He is incredibly fast for not only the quarterback position, but any position. If the new coach prefers a read option system or just a mobile quarterback, Trace Mcsorley could be his man. The freshman doesn't lack arm strength or accuracy either, making him a very fun player to watch.

Quarterback seems to be a good position, with decent depth, however it does lack experience. The question now is what system and who fits it, however there are so many choices it'd be dumb to predict it now.

Projected Starter: Christian Hackenberg
Projected Statline: 250-400, 3,250 Yards, 22 TDs, 8 INTs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #12
Rookie

Coaching Staff Filled

Coaching Staff Filled
By: Tony Davis

It didn't take long for Archer to decide on the coaching staff and assistants, all the positions except offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator were filled by yesterday night. We won't go too much into those, as there are twenty-some assistants.

However the news that we want to tell you, they have finally decided on the coordinators. These hires took place early this morning.

Offensive Coordinator: Mike Bishop
Alma Mater: Minnesota
Offensive Playbook: Pro Style, complete playbook not yet decided upon
Bio: The old offensive coordinator of the Pine Bridge Wolves, he worked with Archer for those three state championships. He evenly runs and passes, but often gets criticized for being very aggressive in the playcalling. He also is a big fan of subbing out people, in order to keep everyone fresh.

Defensive Coordinator: Troy Martin
Alma Mater: Tennessee
Defensive Playbook: 4-3, complete playbook not yet decided upon
Bio: The linebackers coach from Archer's time at Minnesota, he's gotten a few gigs here and there, but this is his first full coordinator job. He comes out in a lot of four and five cornerback formations, and gets creative, especially about blitzes. That is one of the only things he has ever been criticized upon, sometimes he gets carried away with the blitzes. He subs at a fair rate, to keep the pressure up front good.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
Rookie

Re: Breaking News: Vincent fires everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFry
Now that I know I can post...

YES YES YES YES YES!

WE ARE... PENN STATE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po1soNNN
I'm definitely following this. I was considering Penn State way back when, before I settled on Bowling Green.

Thank you both, I'm glad to have followers this short into it. I hope you enjoy and keep following along.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #14
Rookie

Penn State Season Preview: Running Backs

Players:
Zach Zwinak; 6'1"; 233 lbs; Senior (RS)
Bill Belton; 5'10"; 204 lbs; Senior
Akeel Lynch; 6'; 215 lbs; Sophomore (RS)
Johnathan Thomas; 5'11"; 215 lbs; Freshman
Nick Scott; 5'11"; 192 lbs; Freshman.

It seems as though a starter at running back has already been named as Zach Zwinak has emerged as a great powerful running back, however I say it every time weirder things have happened. Either way this Penn State backfield is very strong and has a lot of depth. The only problem is that there is no full back on this roster. Which means that either a running back or tight end will have to fill in.

Whatever system new head coach, Vincent Archer, puts in, there will be a running back on this roster who can get it done. This team has depth and versatility in the backfield, and they can do big things this year.

Zach Zwinak, the returning starter, is looking to end what has been a very successful college career. The power running back has drawn comparisons to Alfred Morris, with his downhill running and his low pad level. My money is on Zach Zwinak starting, and having a big year.

Then on the depth chart we have Bill Belton, another senior running back. Belton not having the power of Zwinak is more of a speed runner. Belton can play a huge roll in this offense, and in my opinion is one of the key players for the 2014 season.

After him we have, Akeel Lynch, a sophomore. Akeel Lynch combines the best attributes of the two senior running backs, into one. But his inexperience and lack of awareness kill him. Akeel Lynch could have a big roll this year, but look for him next year to be Penn State's leading rusher.

After those three we have two true freshman running backs, Johnathan Thomas and Nick Scott. They have around the same speed, but Thomas is a bigger body. While they have speed, they're inexperienced and haven't been tested at a college level, I don't see either of them getting any playing time. They could be the future for Penn State though, but not this season.

Projected Starter: Zach Zwinak and Johnathan Thomas
Projected Statline: Zach Zwinak: 215 CAR, 1130 Yards, 11 TDs; Bill Belton 87 CAR, 530 Yards, 3 TDs
Old 10-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #15
Rookie

Re: We Are... PENN STATE!

"Hello, I'm Coach Archer. But I'm guessing plenty of you already know that. I have big ideas for this team, not only this year but in the future. We can have a successful season, and we can kick some a**. Now do five laps, except Mike Hull, Donovan Smith, Jordan Lucas, Zach Zwinak, and Christian Hackenberg." He said dismissing most of the team.

"You guys are going to be the preseason captains. This can change at any time, and you must hold yourself to a higher standard than all of the other players. Capeesh?" He said, not a hint of humor, or love, or friendliness. Coach Archer took many things seriously, and having good team captains was near the top of that list.

"Yes Coach." They all responded in unison. Nodding their heads in understanding.

"Now go do your five laps." He said, cracking a smile.

Vincent Archer then went to talk to his offensive coordinator, Mike Bishop.

"Mike?" He asked.

"Yes, Vince?"

"What system are you gonna install here?"

"I think we can pull off a pro style, Hackenberg's got the arm for it and Zwinak can run the ball pretty dang good."

"What about the receivers, or the fullback position?"

"I think we have enough receivers, and different styles of receivers that we can have no problem in the passing game. And for fullback, I was gonna play Johnathan Martin."

"The freshman?"

"Yeah, he's shown some good stuff, he's a good power runner. And the kid can block too."

"Thanks Coach." Vincent Archer said walking away.

"Hey Troy!" Vincent Archer shouted walking in his direction.

"Yes Coach?" Troy Martin answered, looking up from his clipboard.

"What system are you gonna run this year?"

"I was thinking to stick with what I think best and run a 4-3, but I don't know if we have the inside pressure to do that."

"That's what I'm worried about, we have the edge rush, but I'm not sure about the defensive tackles."

"A 3-4 then?"

"I think that may be best, it will give Mike Hull a bigger role, which should be good for the defense. It should also help in coverage."

"A 3-4 it is." He said, clearly ecstatic to have a defensive system to install.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #16
Rookie

Penn State Season Preview: Wide Receviers

Players:
Geno Lewis; 6'1"; 199 lbs; Sophomore (RS)
Chris Goodwin; 6'1"; 210 lbs; Freshman
Saeed Blacknall; 6'3"; 210 lbs; Freshman
Deandre Thompkins; 5'11"; 171 lbs; Freshman
Matt Zanellato; 6'3" 200 lbs; Junior (RS)
Daesean Hamilton; 6'1"; 203 lbs; Freshman (RS)

The Wide Receiver depth chart is something we should all be keeping an eye on, there's going to be a lot of competition for the starting spots. As it seems this year there are not that many, if any returning starters for this position. Penn State has a lot of depth, talent, and youth, but lack any experience.

Geno Lewis is an athletic freak, and he has good size too. However this is only his third year with the team, second year actually playing. He has a unique set of skills, being 6'1" but then also being able to blaze past you with his speed.

Then we have the three freshman: Chris Goodwin, Saeed Blacknall, and Deandre Thompkins. Chris Goodwin is also a fast receiver, but he's a lot bigger than Geno Lewis, coming in at 210 pounds. Goodwin is also 6'1" making him a potential mismatch, when you combine both his height and his speed. Saeed Blacknall is as fast as Goodwin, but towers over him, coming in at 6'3" as a freshman, the sky is the limit for this guy. He like the other freshman lacks any experience or familiarity with the team, but is an athletic beast. Last but not least we have Deandre Thompkins, who is the shortest receiver on the roster, but has the fastest speed at the receiver position. Thompkins is a smaller guy, but looks to be not just a wide receiver, but also get some return duties.

Then we have Matt Zanellato, a redshirt junior who is coming off his best year with the team. He filled in last year at receiver and looks to get some playing time again this year. Matt is a bigger guy, 6'3", but doesn't have the speed that some of the other guys do. The thing you can say about Matt is that he has the experience, and the knowledge of this team and it's schemes.

And lastly we have Daesaen Hamilton, a redshirt freshman. He reminds me of Matt in the fact that he is bigger, but lacks any breakaway speed. But just like Matt he knows this offense and has played college football before.

If one thing can be said about the receivers, it's that there's depth. And a whole lot of different skill sets. And it's shaping up to be a great positional battle.

Projected Starter: Matt Zanellato, Geno Lewis, Deandre Thompkins
Projected Statline: Matt Zanellato: 86 rec, 937 Yards, 5 TDs; Geno Lewis: 57 rec, 584 Yards, 3 TDs; Deandre Thompkins: 69 rec, 700 Yards, 6 TDs

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »