Home

A New Doug In Town - Madden 15 Buffalo Bills Dynasty

This is a discussion on A New Doug In Town - Madden 15 Buffalo Bills Dynasty within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
Rookie

BB_Dynasty's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: A New Doug In Town - Madden 15 Buffalo Bills Dynasty

The Buffalo Bills officially introduced Douglas Pain as their new head coach at a press conference Sunday afternoon. Speaking in front of reporters for the first time alongside GM Doug Whaley, Pain promised a consistent winner and outlined his goals for the organization moving forward. Whaley, too, spoke candidly about some aspects of the Bills' late coaching change.

Doug Whaley doesn't mince words. Calling 90% of the stories printed over the past week - rumor or otherwise - "complete fabrication," Whaley said the firing of Marrone was a “football decision” and defended the choice of Douglas Pain by claiming apathy towards the perceived impact of the hire.
"I want you to know, with all due respect, we are not concerned," Whaley said. "We understand it’s not conventional (to fire a coach in August), but it doesn’t bother us. Everybody has an opinion. You guys have a job to do, and we understand that, but my job is to get us the best guy to help us win football games. Russ & I went out and found that guy. This guy met more of the criteria that we ever hoped we'd find, especially this late in the process. This guy knows the game of football.”

On the subject of Jim Schwartz: When asked why they didn’t just hand the reigns over to Jim Schwartz; Whaley replied, "We all know Jim’s accomplishments, and we like what he could potentially bring to our organization. He has been a head coach in this league, but he is also one of the top defensive coordinators available. We talked to him about the job, but we both felt the timing wasn't right, and I feel more comfortable with him being a candidate to run our defensive unit."

The typical coach speak: Pain didn't say anything ground-breaking in his first meeting with Buffalo media, and honestly, nobody expected him to. It's a press conference. However, the new head coach did offer up some introductory thoughts before fielding questions from assembled media.
"The great thing about our situation right now is the two people at the top of this thing, Doug Whaley and I, are on the same page," Pain said. "That makes it easier for everybody involved when that is the case."

Perhaps the most important revelation, from the entire press conference: Whaley AND Pain - will have final say over personnel decisions. This was a power Marrone wasn’t granted.

Douglas Pain “knows football”: When asked about the unpopularity of his hire from the fan base, Pain said, "I can't say anything to change anybody's mind. All I can do is win football games. I understand everyone was surprised when I was announced, not me. As soon as I got an opportunity to interview, I expected to get the job. I was confident because like Doug said I know this game. Now I will admit, I was surprised that I got the interview. I actually just met Russ (Brandon) and Doug (Whaley) a few weeks ago before the position was even open and we just sat around talking football, like you would with friends. I must have made an impression."

Comfortable on the sideline: When asked about his experience, Pain had a simple facetious answer, “
I’m used to being on the sideline, because I couldn't ever play. I knew a great deal about the game, what to do on the field. Unfortunately though, I'm not an athlete, and when Doug Whaley called me, I decided to give coaching a shot.”

Pain to call his own plays: Pain stated that he'd have coaches on his staff with the title of 'offensive and defensive coordinator,' but that he'd be calling plays for both sides game days. He made it clear that he wanted the team to be run a specific way, and the only person that could get it to his liking initially was himself.
The new coach said that he won't be running a specific system, saying that he'll tailor his schemes and his play-calling around the personnel in 2014 and beyond.

Coaching staff still in flux: When asked about the current assistances on the staff, Pain said his first task is to evaluate the current staff, who is still available, and then make a call. However, Pain made it clear he is looking for credentials, not continuity.

The Bills will run a 4-3 defense: Ultimately the defensive philosophy will be determined by Jim Schwartz or whoever Pain selects as defensive coordinator, but when asked about the defense Pain said, “We will continue to be an attacking defense, but as for the scheme, media and fans will call our defense a 4-3. I feel it is what best suits our personnel.”

Last edited by BB_Dynasty; 02-24-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
Rookie

BB_Dynasty's Arena

BREAKING NEWS:
Bills have fire OC Nathanial Hackett, offensive staff in flux.

BUFFALO, New York -- The Buffalo Bills have fired offensive coordinator Nathanial Hackett, the team announced Monday morning.

Buffalo Bills coach Douglas Pain committed to sticking with the up-tempo attack entering the 2014 season -- just not with the coaches who installed it.
Unhappy with the offense's dismal performance this past season, Pain fired Nate Hackett Monday morning.

"After looking at the lack of productivity last season and the direction we were moving in 2014. I just didn't feel like it was going in the right direction," Pain said, at a news conference prior to today’s practice. "We’re expecting a spark, a jolt forward.”

Buffalo's offense certainly needs some type of spark -- and one bigger than Sammy Watkins is expected to provide -- as the Bills turn their attention to opening the preseason this Friday, August 8th at Carolina.

Hackett was unavailable for comment. He was spotted leaving the Bills facility about 45 minutes before the team's official announcement.

Pain also announced the team would be retaining the entire defensive staff. Also, special team’s coordinator Danny Crossman has been retained.

The soap opera in Buffalo continues.

Last edited by BB_Dynasty; 02-24-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Rookie

BB_Dynasty's Arena

Douglas opens the door for QB competition.

In his first practice as head coach Douglas Pain had veteran Kyle Orton taking first-team snaps. EJ Manuel was the first quarterback out in both 7-on-7’s and team sessions, but was quickly replaced with Orton during both periods.

When asked after practice about the reps at quarterback, Pain was quick to reaffirm Manuel as his starter — but he didn’t rule out a possible changing at the helm if someone impresses in preseason.

“Our starting quarterback is EJ Manuel,” Pain said. “If somebody performs better than EJ then that’s going to have to change, see what happens as we move forward.”

When asked directly if there was an open competition at quarterback the Bills head coach had a lengthy response:

“We have a deep roster and that includes quarterbacks, we expect competition across the board” said Pain. “It hasn’t changed anything in terms of our depth chart right now. We’re looking for that position to be the best player on our team if we can make it that way. Competition is only going to make each one of those players better and that’s what we expect a veteran like Kyle to come in and provide us with.”

Last edited by BB_Dynasty; 02-24-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
Coach Porter Davis

djp73's Arena

OVR: 7

great start, following
Old 10-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
Rookie

GutterPhenom16's Arena

holy hell this is detailed.. I love it! Following!
Old 10-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #14
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

For someone who has never done a dynasty before, I can definitely say you look like you know what you're doing. I'll be reading along.

Only thing, is that for some reason I don't like that font much, but it's totally minor and I can deal with it haha.

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #15
Rookie

BB_Dynasty's Arena

Resetting the Bills' coaching staff

After the dismissal of Doug Marrone shook up the Buffalo Bills' coaching staff, the holes have been plugged and there will be plenty of familiar faces on the sideline this season.

After the team concluded their first practice under new head coach Luke Douglas, the Buffalo media finally got a look at where those moves leave the Bills' staff:

Head coach/offensive coordinator: Douglas Pain
Defensive coordinator: Jim Schwartz
Special teams coordinator: Danny Crossman

Last edited by BB_Dynasty; 07-15-2022 at 10:27 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #16
Rookie

BB_Dynasty's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutterPhenom16
holy hell this is detailed.. I love it! Following!

Thanks! Glad you like it!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »