Home

The Coaching Career of Colin Gronk (NCAA 14)

This is a discussion on The Coaching Career of Colin Gronk (NCAA 14) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: The Coaching Career of Colin Gronk (NCAA 14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGravyBoat
Love New Mexico State, was going to do a dynasty with them but looks like you beat me to it, following.
Thank you for the reply. I plan on leaving New Mexico State, but I think I'll impose a rule where I must play through 75% of my contract, unless I get fired. My contract at New Mexico State is for four years so I'll probably stick around for 3, barring an early termination. They're one of the worst teams in the game, and I didn't want to do a team that many others have done.

Yankees: #AllRise
Old 12-31-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

Season 1 Game 6 @ 2-2 New Mexico (Battle of Rio Grande)

Run Heavy Approach Leads Aggies to First Win of Season in Battle of Rio Grande Over New Mexico, 24-21

Heading into their annual game with state-rival New Mexico, the New Mexico State Aggies were 0-5. In most of their previous games (excluding the UCLA beatdown) they played their hearts out, scored at least 20 points every game, and lost mainly due to awfully timed turnovers. In this year’s edition of the Battle of Rio Grande, the Aggies knew that they needed to change their gameplan for any hope of success. New coordinator Colin Gronk took the ball out of his QB’s hands, and went with an extremely run heavy approach. The new philosophy paid off.

The Aggies did the unthinkable; New Mexico State did not turn the ball over once, despite turning over the ball five times in several previous outings. New Mexico State tallied 25 first downs, 422 yards of total offense, and ran the ball a staggering 57 times. The Aggies tallied 250 rushing yards, scoring twice on the ground. Junior quarterback Travaughn Colwell, who has retaken his starting job due to senior Andrew McDonald’s “turnover-itis”, played a very clean game, completing 15 passes on just 23 attempts. Colwell completed 65% of his passes, and threw a touchdown pass. Colwell also ran for a touchdown on a quarterback sneak.

The Aggies converted 11 third downs on 16 attempts, which definitely changed the outcome of this game. Starting halfback Germi Morrison carried the ball 31 times for a season high 127 yards. Colwell rushed 8 times for 56 yards; his mobility is his greatest asset. True freshman backup halfback Marquette Washington ran six times for 27 yards but left with an injury. Junior third string running back Brandon Betancourt ran five times for 24 yards. Redshirt freshman Thomas Warren saw his first action of the season, rushing three times for 12 yards.

Redshirt junior tight end Andrew Dean is doing an admirable job of replacing injured tight end Perris Scoggins; Dean caught 3 passes for 47 yards. Coordinator Colin Gronk is known to favor tight ends in the passing game, and it shows. Redshirt sophomore Joshua Bowen caught one sixteen yard pass for a touchdown.

Just as the Aggies shockingly did not turn the ball over, the offensive line (typically another weakness) did not allow a single sack, and actually tallied four pancake blocks.

The Aggie defense allowed New Mexico to score a touchdown late, but New Mexico State ran out the clock to win 24-21. The run-hevay approach, with the turnover-free football and improved play by the offensive line, allowed the Aggies to win the Battle of Rio Grande for the first time since 2011. Next week, the Aggies have a bye, then return home to host the Rice Owls.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

Season 1, Game 7 vs 2-4 Rice

99 yard Drive Leads to 27-24 Aggie Victory Over Rice

Freshman halfback Marquette Washington suffered an abdominal tear during the Aggies’ win over New Mexico; Washington will miss five weeks. The bye week arguably came at a bad time for New Mexico State; the team earned their first victory of the season over archrival New Mexico, then had to sit out a week due to the bye. Did the bye cost this team its momentum?

The Aggies returned home in week 8, two weeks removed from a great victory over New Mexico. New Mexico State, 1-5, hosted the 2-4 Rice Owls, who were without starting quarterback Taylor McHargue (partial ACL tear, 4 weeks.)

What…a…game…. When all was said and done, the New Mexico State Aggies earned a second consecutive victory, this one at home against Rice. ESPN ruled this game an “ESPN Classic,” a first for new coordinator Colin Gronk. The Aggies tallied 443 yards of total offense in this game, rushing 44 times for 162 yards and one touchdown. The hero of this game is junior signal-caller Travaughn Colwell. Colwell completed 26 passes of 36 attempts for 281 yards (72% completed.) Colwell threw one interception, but threw the game winning touchdown.

In previous games, the final drive would have led to the game losing turnover; Aggies fan saw it when senior QB Andrew McDonald fumbled on the goal line in one game in the final minute. McDonald and Colwell both have thrown game-losing interception. In this game, the script seemed to be set to repeat. The Owls took a 24-20 lead with less than three minutes remaining. Even worse for the Aggies, the Owls pinned the home team on their own one yard line. With under three minutes, there seemed to be no hope for the typically turnover prone offense.

Colwell completed several passes to drive the team downfield. A sizeable completion to tight end Andrew Dean put the Aggies at around mid-field. Colwell drove the Aggies all the way to the sixteen yard line. The home crowd grew antsy; many expected Colwell to crumble under the pressure and throw the game losing interception. Colwell dropped back to pass. The offensive line protected him, giving te junior time to look downfield. Colwell saw true freshman Prentavious Morehead on the sideline at about the nine yard line. Colwell threw the pass. Time seemed to be in slow motion as the football spiraled to the freshman. The surehanded Morehead caught the ball, and spun around, dashing for the endzone. Several Rice defenders loomed near. With the game on the line, Morehead dove for the pylon. Time stood still. Morehead crossed the pylon and fell into the endzone; touchdown Aggies!

Colwell drove the team downfield from their own one yard line, and threw the game winning touchdown pass. The Aggies defense stopped the Rice offense as time expired, allowing the Aggies to win 27-24

Previously 0-5, the Aggies have won two straight, face Old Dominion (1-7) next week, and several bottom-dwelling opponents to close the season. Can the Aggies win out and make their first bowl game since 1960?

Last edited by Gronk4M13; 01-01-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2014, 10:09 AM   #12
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

Game 8 vs. 1-7 Old Dominion

New Mexico State Handles Old Dominion 27-17, Wins Third Straight

The New Mexico State Aggies have won three straight games after starting 0-5 in 2013. In their third straight victory, New Mexico State handled fellow Independent bottom dweller Old Dominion 27-17 in New Mexico. Once again, the Aggies went extremely run heavy (54 rushes, 261 yards, 1 touchdown) and it worked. Colwell completed 20 passes on 29 attempts and threw two touchdowns. The team continues to thrive on third down, going 9-15 in this game. The Aggies did turn the ball over three times; Colwell threw two interceptions. Germi Morrison ran a season high 32 times for 123 yards. Brandon Betancourt ran ten times for 37 yards. Travaughn Colwell showcased his athleticism, scrambling ten times for 97 yards (including a twenty-five yard run) and a touchdown. Andrew Dean caught 4 passes for 71 yards while Betancourt caught a touchdown pass. The Aggies allowed one sack.

Next up, it’s a trip to meet the Ragin’ Cajuns, Louisiana Lafayette, who are struggling with a 3-4 record. The Aggies are riding a three game winning streak. Their remaining schedule (not in order) is at UL Lafayette, vs. winless Idaho, at Florida Atlantic, and vs. Boston College. Other than the Boston College game, these are all winnable, and even Boston College is pretty mediocre. The Aggies’ dreams of a first bowl game since 1960 are quite possible.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
Leyenda

RoundingThird's Arena

OVR: 30

Man, if only your name were Rob, not Colin. Following.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Po1soNNN
Ahahahaha.

Gronk, nice work with the win streak. I still think a bowl is a bit of a stretch, but definitely not impossible. I'm reading along!

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:13 AM   #15
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Po1soNNN
Haha. I made "Gronk4M13" my username because at the time, I really liked Rob Gronkowksi and wanted him to win the Madden 13 cover-vote. Thanks for following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesportsguru11
Ahahahaha.

Gronk, nice work with the win streak. I still think a bowl is a bit of a stretch, but definitely not impossible. I'm reading along!
Thanks man. Anything is possible, lol.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #16
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

Game 9 at 3-4 UL Lafayette

Aggies Manhandled on The Road By UL Lafayette, Lose 31-13

After starting 2013 0-5, the New Mexico State Aggies have won three straight games. Some hopeful fans are optimistic that the Aggies can win out and make their first bowl game since 1960. Heading into this game, the Aggies must have been feeling confident, but it was their ultimate downfall.

New Mexico State was simply dominated by UL Lafayette. The final score, 31-13, could have been even worse. The ‘Cajun defense smothered new coordinator Colin Gronk’s offense, holding it ti 282 yards of total offense. The Aggies collectively ran 30 times for only 104 yards. Junior starting quarterback Travaughn Colwell completed 60% of his passes (20-34) for 178 yards but threw two interceptions. Turnovers continue to plague the 2013 Aggies, regardless of who is throwing passes.

Third down offense is typically strength for these New Mexico Aggies; tonight, the ‘Cajuns held them to 4 conversions on 12 attempts. Senior halfback Germi Morrison ran 19 times for just 65 yards. Colwell, typically explosive out of the pocket, was held to 14 yards on seven attempts.Sophomore tight end Matt Jaramillo led the team with five receptions for 49 yards.
Quite simply, the better team won this game. Next, the Aggies host Boston College, an unfavorable matchup for now 3-6 New Mexico State.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »