Home

Bulldog Born, Bulldog Bred | A Fresno State Football Dynasty

This is a discussion on Bulldog Born, Bulldog Bred | A Fresno State Football Dynasty within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Bulldog Born, Bulldog Bred | A Fresno State Football Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan
Great breakdown of the defensive miscues against Ole Miss. Personally, it's hard to do all the same content in a loss, so that's sort of like a kudos point.

Surprisingly close game against Abilene Christian, did that take you by surprise? Stats in that game say it shouldn't have been that close.

The spotlight on Malique was smooth, I wish I knew how to manipulate tables like that, great stuff.

Big surprise win against Boise, they are off to a horrible start it looks like, I bet that's not making you sad. Your breakdown of the INT shows one reason why NCAA 14 is so great. Pressure up the middle influences the QB to throw it differently. They did such a great job with this.

Nice easy win against Hawai'I - Question, are all your injuries in game or do you create them? Great work, love the look and feel of this and am going to be following close.

There's a book I recommend to friends if they seem to like reading and whatnot, it's called "My Life as a Foreign Country" by Brian Turner. I think he wrote the Hurt Locker poem. There's a great section in the book where he goes into why he joined the Army, and part of it relates to Fresno. This is just a little bit of that section:

“I signed the paper and joined the infantry for reasons I won’t tell you, and for reasons I will.

“I said Infantry because I didn’t really know if I could do it. But I wanted the man in the polyester suit to know . . . that I was willing and prepared to crawl through the mud and muck any time of day or night . . . that I was from Fresno and people from Fresno can take it . . . people from Fresno can outcrawl [anyone] on the planet, or at least crawl with the best of them, low and cold and reptilian."

Thanks for the book recommendation Helli. That's really cool that Fresno was mentioned. The city is usually known for all the bad things that happen here. Great to hear it being spoken in a good light. I'll have to take a look.

As far as our running back injuries, they are all true in-game injuries. I think the reason for this is I set all sub sliders to 0/1. Because I only play seven minute quarters, I want my starters to get all the stats. Maybe when the player stamina goes down is when they're more injury prone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
Great work here Fresno. Just curious, what was your username on those other board's back in the day?
Thanks for checking in geezy. I believe I've used the same username on all of the previous boards except DSS. I don't remember what username I used because I was lurking more than posting. Keep up the good work with your Tulane dynasty. Glad to have you follow along.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #66
Rookie

GAMECENTER

FRESNO STATE 28, BYU 24

Wow! What a crazy wacky first half in this game. There were big plays made across the board by both teams. Fresno State opened up the game with a methodical 15 play drive that ended in a two yard touchdown run by running back Keyan Williams.

Williams was announced as the starter on Friday after coach Tim DeRuyter ruled out starter Marteze Waller. The redshirt freshman impressed in his first career start. On the Bulldog's second offensive drive, Keyan Williams turned a dump off pass into a 62 yard touchdown scamper.

The Bulldogs seemed to be in control of the game as they were in BYU's red zone on their third offensive possession. Looking to score again, Fresno State quarterback Chason Virgil was intercepted by BYU safety Kai Nacua. On the next play, BYU quarterback Tanner Mangum found receiver Nick Kurtz on a 40 yard bomb. Kurtz put a killer stiff arm on Fresno State safety Shannon Edwards and sprinted for a 95 yard touchdown.

The Cougars were back in the game and had momentum on their side. After securing a field goal the game stood at 14-13 midway through the second quarter.

That's when Fresno State's Josiah Blandin broke loose a 102 yard kick off return. The play sparked the Bulldog sideline, but BYU answered back at the end of the second quarter with a touchdown of their own and as both teams went into the halftime, the game was tied 21-21.

"I told our guys in the locker room we needed to stop the big plays," said Coach Tim DeRuyter after the game. "If we settled down and play the way we came out to start the game then we could take control of the game."

On Fresno State's first offensive drive of the second half they did just that as quarterback Chason Virgil went five of five for 44 yards and capped off the drive with a five yard pass to tight end Kyle Riddering. The Bulldog defense stiffened with some halftime adjustments and only allowed a field goal as Fresno State held on to beat BYU 28-24.

PLAYER OF THE GAME.. Running back Keyan Williams had a breakout game as he finished with 262 all-purpose yards and two total touchdowns. He was the ultimate 'X' factor in a game where the Bulldogs needed someone to step up. I have a feeling this won't be the last time we hear his name.

KEY STAT.. The Bulldog special teams showed up big time today. Kick returner Josiah Blandin was providing excellent field position for Fresno State to begin the drives. The team ended with 277 kick return yards.

KEY PLAY.. BYU had one last chance to win the game late in the fourth quarter. Quarterback Tanner Mangum tossed a bomb to the far left side of the field looking for his receiver to come up with the catch. Unfortunately, Fresno State cornerback Jamal Ellis went step for step with the receiver and was in perfect position to make the interception to seal the game for the Bulldogs.

EXTRA POINT.. Fresno State safety Shannon Edwards may have seen his last game as a starter. Edwards was abused through the air today, most glaringly, the 95 yard touchdown play that put BYU back in the game. If you remember, he was also beat on two long bombs against Ole Miss and his play has been spotty against Abilene Christian and Boise State. Backup safety Alan Wright took over at the free safety spot to start the second half and the defense clamped down to limit BYU to a field goal.

A really cool animation from BYU safety Kai Nacua making the interception.

Fresno State Bulldogs at Brigham Young Cougars
Oct 5, 20151ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Fresno State Bulldogs (4-2)1477028
Brigham Young Cougars (3-2)3183024
Team Stats Comparison

FRESBYU
Total Offense334443
Rushing Yards16070
Passing Yards174373
First Downs1616
Punt Return Yards2423
Kick Return Yards277121
Total Yards635587
Turnovers12
3rd Down Converstion5-115-12
4th Down Conversion0-10-1
2-Point Conversion0-01-1
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals2-2-03-1-1
Penalties0-03-15
Posession Time13:4314:17
Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER SCORINGFRESBYU
2:30(FRES) K. Williams 2 Yd run70
1:23(FRES) K. Williams 62 Yd pass from C. Virgil140
0:15(BYU) T. Samson 45 Yd FG143
SECOND QUARTER SCORINGFRESBYU
6:06(BYU) N. Kurtz 95 Yd pass from T. Mangum1410
2:55(BYU) T. Samson 23 Yd FG1413
2:43(FRES) J. Blandin returned kickoff 102 Yds2113
0:55(BYU) T. Ho Ching 1 yd run (2-Pt)2121
THIRD QUARTER SCORINGFRESBYU
2:15(FRES) K. Riddering 5 Yd pass from C. Virgil2821
0:00(BYU) T. Samson 44 Yd FG2824
Fresno State Bulldogs
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
C. Virgil16/2617421
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
K. Williams281605.71
C. Virgil200.00
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
K. Williams1010210.21
D. Scott33913.00
K. Riddering155.01
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
K. Wilson7000
D. Jones6000
E. Ederaine6000
Brigham Young Cougars
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
T. Mangum24/3437312
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
A. Brown8222.70
N. Carter8283.50
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
M. Juergens6477.80
N. Kurtz415238.01
M. Matthews4358.70
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
K. Nacua7010
H. Langi6000
M. Hannemann5000

Last edited by fresnostate; 11-23-2015 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #67
Rookie

BULLDOG INSIDER

Today on the Bulldog Insider we're breaking down running back Keyan Williams wild 62 yard touchdown catch and run. The beginning of the play was a great read by quarterback Chason Virgil, but the rest was all Keyan.

On third down and five from their 38 yard line, Fresno State came out in their two tight end ace twins to the left. The play call was a pass play for receiver Josiah Blandin (farthest receiver) running a curl in route. If the option wasn't there then the check down will be to tight end Kyle Riddering to the left or running back Keyan Williams on the right, whoever was open.

BYU called a zero or all out blitz with all their linebackers crashing the gaps to force a throw away or sack. Keyan Williams will run a breaking inside route. If you remember the Boise State game, to seal the game, the Bulldogs ran this same play with Malique Micenheimer coming down with the catch.

As the play begins, the Bulldog offensive line does a decent job of protecting the inside gap penetration from the linebackers. With every linebacker crashing in there had to be a free rusher and that was the outside linebacker. BYU decided to play man coverage on this play. Quarterback Chason Virgil had a split second to read what the safety was going to do. If he ran to cover the middle field then Virgil will throw to the tight end running a flat route. If he followed the tight end then the middle would be open.

Chason Virgil's quick read gave him just enough time to make the throw over the middle to Keyan Williams before take a huge hit from BYU's linebackers. Williams came down with the catch and was running to daylight.

Three BYU defensive players collapsed on Keyan Williams running down the middle. It looked like he was going to be tackled. Somehow Williams was able to slip through the three defenders and explode out of the crowd and scampered his way for a 62 yard touchdown.

Incredible play by running back Keyan Williams.

COACH TIM DERUYTER POST GAME THOUGHTS AFTER BYU GAME..
Quote:
We beat a really good team today. I'm really proud of how we started the first drives to open the game and second half. That's exactly how we want to play.

ON KEYAN WILLIAMS BREAKOUT PERFORMANCE..
Quote:
This kid is super smooth. He reminds me a lot of former Ole Miss RB/WR Dexter McCluster. Similar build and has enough toughness to carry the ball.

Last edited by fresnostate; 11-23-2015 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:36 PM   #68
Rookie

ThunderMuffinn's Arena

OVR: 0

I love what I'm reading so far... Layout is terrific and the written parts are great as well. One quick question, do you use auto subs, and if so, what auto subs do you have set? Thanks!
Old 11-22-2015, 11:54 PM   #69
Rookie

A STAR IS BORN

On the plane ride home, Keyan Williams received a text message, it read, "Proud of you son, call me when you get home."

"Yeah, that's my pops," said Williams. "He always sends me texts after the game. I don't see him much during the football season. He's got his own thing going on and I got mine."

Keith Williams, is the current wide receivers coach at Nebraska. Prior to coaching at Nebraska, Williams was an assistant coach at Fresno State from 2009-11.

During Keyan William's recruitment, his father was an assistant at Tulane.

"Everyone thought I'd join my dad since he's the wide receivers coach at Tulane," said Keyan Williams. "I knew the decision was all mine. My dad always said to go with your heart. I felt like Fresno State was where I wanted to go."

The three star athlete from New Orleans committed to the Bulldogs as part of the 2013 recruiting class.

Williams is currently listed as a wide receiver, but due to injuries in the backfield, coach Tim DeRuyter moved him over to spill some running back duties and he excelled.

"I was impressed with how fluid he runs," said Coach Tim DeRuyter. "Right now he's currently listed as the 7th or 8th receiver on the depth chart. We needed to find someone in case Marteze was unable to go and Keyan came up and said he played some running back in high school. We gave him the ball a few times during practice and he ran real good.

I decided after Thursday's practice that Keyan will start over true freshman Dejonte O'Neal. He came out of the gate and ran the ball hard against BYU. I'm happy we found a spot for him."

Keyan Williams ran for 160 yards on 28 carries and caught 10 balls for 102 yards to go along with his two touchdowns in Fresno State's win against BYU. Williams isn't sure the move to running back is permanent, but he may have found a role with the team.

"My dad had a saying, look to skies and aim for the stars," said Williams.

For Fresno State, they may have found their star.

Player Spotlight – Keyan Williams
Keyan Williams | RB/WR
New Orleans, LA
Height: 5'10"Jersey No. 4
Weight: 194Attribute: Speed
Year: RFrOverall: 67(RB)
RUSHINGATTYARDSAVGTD

Old 11-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #70
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMuffinn
I love what I'm reading so far... Layout is terrific and the written parts are great as well. One quick question, do you use auto subs, and if so, what auto subs do you have set? Thanks!
Thanks for checking in Thunder. I have auto subs set at 0/1 for all positions. My decision came down to only playing seven minute quarters and wanting to make sure my starters get enough stats at the end of the year. So far it's worked out pretty well. We've got six more games to go to see how it all pans out, but I've been satisfied with the weekly game results.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #71
Rookie

ThunderMuffinn's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnostate
Thanks for checking in Thunder. I have auto subs set at 0/1 for all positions. My decision came down to only playing seven minute quarters and wanting to make sure my starters get enough stats at the end of the year. So far it's worked out pretty well. We've got six more games to go to see how it all pans out, but I've been satisfied with the weekly game results.
I see! Thanks for the response. May have to start my own now... The urge is KILLING me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2015, 01:31 AM   #72
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

What a crazy scamper that was by Williams. Glad to see him get some playing time, I was definitely curious on who you would put back there. Looks like he could be your starter with those averages!

Loved the background report on Williams, nice touch there. Keep it up!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »