Home

Coach Geezy in the Big Easy: Our City, Our Team | Tulane Green Wave (Part I archive)

This is a discussion on Coach Geezy in the Big Easy: Our City, Our Team | Tulane Green Wave (Part I archive) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #41

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearz49ers
Well you should know by now that it is the first position I look at when things are going wrong! Hey Nick Florence.
I knew you would bring him up...I still say you don't give him enough credit. I thought he was solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent
Nice signing. Following.
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLeaf16
Two tough losses in a row. The SMU game was crushing and then to follow that up with a double OT loss to Southern Miss has got to be frustrating. At least you know you can hang with some of the more explosive offenses in the conference. Your offense went head-to-head with the virtual June Jones and Larry Fedora and matched them. The defense just isn't getting stops when it needs to.
The offense seems to be pretty top-notch. My team has been feasting on the weak C-USA defenses. If we could just somehow get the defense to join the party, we'd be set to dominate the conference. (Some changes may be coming in the near future on that side of the ball).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLW
Hopefully, some of these three star ATH recruits can play some D. Your putting up decent numbers on offense but the defense is just not up to snuff right now.
Agreed...I am not getting a ton of interest out of defensive backs so I am going after a bunch of ATH's in hopes that they can play in the secondary. The defensive backfield without question has been the biggest problem area for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne58
I like the way you think, Gizzle
Quote:
That loss to SMU made me cringe.

I like your recruiting updates. Nice signing by the way.
Thanks man...Looks like I was a bit off on my prediction. We've been in position to fulfill it but we haven't been able to close teams out and make the big plays in crunch time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC
Lacey got you #1 on your list :turbobow:

Two crushing losses, and one of them to a rival :slant:
The update doesn't reflect it but at this point it looks like Lacey is a virtual lock to be playing in the N.O. this fall. I can't wait to see what position he ends up at. I have visions of him at WR or TE.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #42

Deegeezy's Arena

40 -- 1-9 (0-6)
43 -- 3-7 (2-4)

TOP: Tulane QB Ryan Griffin takes a shotgun snap, rolls out to the right and heaves a desperation pass to WR Devin Figaro. BOTTOM: Figaro grabs the pass out of the air and breaks two tackles on the way to a game-winning 73-yard touchdown to put Tulane ahead 43-40 with just :05 remaining to go in the game.

GRIFFIN'S 73-YARD TD PASS TO FIGARO WITH :05 REMAINING GIVES TULANE AN ELECTRIC 43-40 WIN OVER RICE

Teams combine for 21 points in the game's final :40 & over 1,000 yards of total offense in wild shootout | QB Griffin has career day going 29 of 42 for 504 yards and 4 touchdowns | Tulane to host UCF next week in 2010 home finale

New Orleans -- The Tulane Green Wave won a topsy-turvy game, defeating the Rice Owls 43-40 Saturday in their homecoming game. Green Wave QB Ryan Griffin's thrilling 73-yard touchdown hookup with fellow sophomore WR Devin Figaro provided Tulane with the game-winning points. Both Griffin and Figaro played the game of their lives; Griffin going 29 of 42 for a career-high 504 yards and 4 touchdowns...Figaro catching 7 receptions for 203 yards and 2 touchdowns, all career highs.

In a game that featured a whopping 21 points in the game's final 40 seconds and 7 lead changes overall, Tulane scored what was originally believed to be the game-winning touchdown when Griffin found CB Ryan Travis wide open for a 19-yard touchdown with 0:40 remaining. The Green Wave were low on receivers in the latter part of the game after several injuries ravaged the group throughout the contest and with senior WR Casey Robottom lost for the year two games ago due to a back injury. A former high school wide receiver, Travis filled in and made a big play.

The lead was short-lived however as on Rice's very next play from scrimmage, Owls QB Nick Fanuzzi found WR Taylor Dupree for a 79-yard touchdown with 0:22 remaining. Fanuzzi finished the day with 428 passing yards and 5 touchdowns. In the end though, it was not enough as he and Dupree were merely setting the stage for Griffin and Figaro's heroics.

"This was an exciting contest from start to finish and I am still trying to catch my breath," said Tulane head coach D. Geezy.

"We would have liked to have seen some better defense played out there but at this stage we are what we are. This was an important victory for us as a program because it keeps us out of the cellar and being a last place team in our conference.

"We're excited to get the win no matter how it comes these days but with that said, we're going to put a strong emphasis in the off-season on preventing the big plays, especially in crunch time."

Tulane (3-7, 2-4) will host the UCF Golden Knights (8-2, 5-1) next week in the team's home finale.

Greatest Game Score: 2,340 (New #1 Overall)

[SIZE="2""]Box Score [/size]

[table="head;width=30em"]Team|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|Total
Rice 1-9 (0-6)|10|7|14|9|40
Tulane 3-7 (2-4)|0|21|0|22|43[/table]

1st

RI: 17 yd TD pass from Fanuzzi to Kitchens (Boswell kick) 3:31 -- 0-7
RI: 21 yd FG by Boswell 2:14 -- 0-10

2nd

TU: 33 yd TD run by A. Williams (Rome kick) 7:47 -- 7-10
TU: 8 yd TD run by A. Williams (Rome kick) 5:15 -- 14-10
RI: 79 yd TD pass from Fanuzzi to Kitchens (Boswell kick) 4:14 -- 14-17
TU: 20 yd TD pass from Griffin to Figaro (Rome kick) 0:24 -- 21-17

3rd

RI: 11 yd TD pass from Fanuzzi to McGuffie (Boswell kick) 6:33 -- 21-24
RI: 3 yd TD pass from Fanuzzi to McDonald (Boswell kick) 3:56 -- 21-31

4th

RI: Safety (Skinner sacks Griffin in end zone) 6:10 -- 21-33
TU: 6 yd TD pass from Griffin to Clark (Rome kick) 3:02 -- 28-33
TU: 19 yd TD pass from Griffin to Travis (A. Williams run) 0:40 -- 36-33
RI: 79 yd TD pass from Fanuzzi to Dupree (Boswell kick) 0:22 -- 36-40
TU: 73 yd TD pass from Griffin to Figaro (Rome kick) 0:05 -- 43-40

----------------------------------

Game Statistics

Tulane

Code:

* - IMPACT Player

Passing                      RATING  COMP  ATT  YDS  TD  INT     
11-QB  Ryan Griffin(rs-so)    201.2   29    42  504   4   0

Rushing                         ATT  YDS  TD 
25-RB  Albert Williams(jr)       17  118   2 (2-pt run)
11-QB  Ryan Griffin(rs-so)        6  -39   0
40-RB  Orleans Darkwa(fr)         4   15   0
35-FB  Jordan Stephany(sr)        2   -1   0

Receiving                       REC  YDS  TD
89-WR  Devin Figaro(so)           7  203   2
25-RB  Albert Williams(jr)        6   28   0
 9-WR  Wilson Van Hooser(rs-fr)   5  119   0
injured in third quarter (hand) | returned in fourth quarter
88-TE  Tyler Helm(sr)             4   71   0
40-RB  Orleans Darkwa(fr)         2   21   0
 5-WR  *D.J. Banks(so)            2   26   0
injured in third quarter (shoulder) | did not return
10-CB  Ryan Travis(so)            1   19   1
86-WR  Brandon Clark(so)          1    6   1
87-WR  Alan Mitchell(rs-sr)       1   11   0

Defensive                       TAK  SOLO  AST  TFL  SCK  INT
 4-FS  Shakiel Smith(so)          9    7    2    2    1    0
50-DE  Austen Jacks(so)           8    7    1    2    0    0 (1 ff)
15-SS  Taylor Echols(rs-jr)       8    4    4    1    0    0 (1 fr)
99-DT  Chris Asamnu(jr)           5    3    2    2    1    0
97-DE  Shane Delery(so)           3    2    1    2    1    0 

Kicking                         FG MADE FG ATT LONG  MISSED  XP MADE XP ATT 
14-PK  Ryan Rome(rs-fr)           0       1     n/a    42      5       5

Tulane Key Team Stats:

Total Offensive Yards: 597
Rushing Yards: 93
Sacks Allowed: 4
3rd down conversions: 5-10 (50%)
Offensive Turnovers: 1
Penalties: 5 for 38 yards
Time of Possession: 22:25
Rice

Code:

* - IMPACT Player

7-QB  *Nick Fanuzzi(rs-jr)   233.6   27    34  428   5   0

2-RB  *Sam McGuffie(rs-so)      14   42   0
 7-QB  *Nick Fanuzzi(rs-jr)       6  -20   0
10-WR  Roddy Maginot(jr)          2    5   0
11-WR  Pierre Beasley(rs-sr)      2    4   0

11-WR  Pierre Beasley(rs-sr)      8   77   0
81-WR  Randy Kitchens(jr)         8  162   2
22-WR  Taylor Dupree(sr)          5  149   1
88-TE  Vance McDonald(so)         2    7   1
 6-WR  Patrick Randolph(rs-sr)    2   10   0
10-WR  Roddy Maginot(jr)          1   12   0
 2-RB  Sam McGuffie(rs-so)        1   11   1

5-MLB Justin Hill(sr)            9    6    3    0    0    0
44-SS  Chris Jones(sr)            7    5    2    1    1    0
91-DE  Josh Skinner(fr)           4    1    3    1    1    0 (1 sfty)
97-DE  Jared Williams(rs-so)      4    1    3    0   .5    0
55-DT  John Gioffre(jr)           3    1    2    2   .5    0
13-DT  Scott Solomonson(sr)       2    1    1    1    1    0

9-PK  Chris Boswell(rs-fr)       1       2     21     62     5       5

Opponent Key Team Stats:

Total Offensive Yards: 459
Rushing Yards: 31
Sacks Allowed: 3
3rd down conversions: 7-12 (58%)
Penalties: 2 for 20 yards
Time of Possession: 14:25

2010 Tulane Green Wave Schedule/Results
Code:

Opponent (record)       Result        Tulane Player of the Game         -Record-
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
vs Southeastern (1-0)   L 34-41 (OT)  RB Williams 25 car 217 yds 2 tds  0-1 (0-0)
vs Ole Miss (2-0)       L 10-31       TE Helm 9 rec 137 yds             0-2 (0-0)
at Houston (3-0)        L 41-48       CB Davis 3 tk 2 fr 1 td           0-3 (0-1)
at Rutgers (3-1)        L 35-38       RB Williams 14 car 234 yds 3 tds  0-4 (0-1)
vs Army (2-4)           W 17-07       FS Smith 9 tk 2 tfl 1 int 1 ff    1-4 (0-1)
at Tulsa (3-4)          L 24-38       WR Robottom 5 rec 155 yds 1 td    1-5 (0-2)
at UTEP (5-3)           W 24-21       RB Williams 16 car 128 yds 1 td   2-5 (1-2)
vs SMU (4-5)            L 37-41       SS Echols 5 tak 1 sk 1 int 1 sfty 2-6 (1-3)
vs Southern Miss (8-1)  L 35-42 (2OT) RB Williams 28 car 119 yds 3 tds  2-7 (1-4)
vs Rice (1-9)           W 43-40       QB Griffin 29-42 504 yds 4 tds    3-7 (2-4)
vs UCF
at Marshall

Next Game:

8-2 (5-1) at 3-7 (2-4)

Last edited by Deegeezy; 12-22-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #43

Deegeezy's Arena

A New Wave On the Horizon | The Future of Tulane Football

Can Tulane Achieve the Excellence They Have Lacked for So Long?

cheese2121 | Guest Columnist from A Slice Off the Old Block

After a 3-7 start, a lot of people would think that there would not be a whole lot positive to say about the 2010 Tulane football season. And, in this case, a lot of people would be wrong.

When examining a team, my motto has always been start at the head and work your way down. The head in Tulane is first year coach D.Geezy. D.Geezy hasn’t had a chance to show the Tulane faithful much this year other than heartbreaking losses and a pass defense that leaves much to be desired. But heartbreaking losses are more than Tulane football is use to. As fans we are quick to forget that we use to be a team that would get blown out weekly by 30, sometimes even 40 points.

We often fall into the trap of blaming the new guy for the old guy’s mistakes. Coming into the season D.Geezy was looking at a team that was nothing short of dreadful on paper, yet week in and week out, they are a team that is competitive to the very end. Need proof? Of the team’s seven losses on the season, five have been by seven points or less. No longer does Tulane face the embarrassment of playing the other team’s second stringers during the second half. All of this, we have to thank to D.Geezy.

Does this mean our newfound head coach is completely blameless? Of course not. I have always gone with the four-year rule though. Four years before I start calling out a coach. I want to see what D.Geezy can do with his players in his system, which leads me into my next point. Recruiting. Tulane hosted a four star running back the other day. Even though the recruit, Harrison Williams, went on to sign with rival LSU, the mere fact that he took the visit speaks volumes of the type of attitude D.Geezy has installed around campus. It may also be noted that a program that typically brings in two and one star caliber players already has four three star caliber players committed. These players obviously have faith in D.Geezy and as long as our new coach can instill that kind of faith in the players, I owe it to him to have that same faith.

One coach, I do have a problem with though, is defensive coordinator, Steve Stanard. It is flat out unacceptable to be losing games where your offensive is scoring 40+ points. The Tulane offense is ranked 21st in the league while the defense ranks 117th. Coach D.Geezy has to step in and do something. Even though, he inherited his coordinators from the previous regime, they are still a part of his staff now. It is the job of the head coach to step in where there is a problem. As much as I do not want to blame him in the first four years, he must take responsibility for his coordinators. Period.

There is a lot of work to be done and the days of Tulane playing for conference championships and bowl games are still far off but they have begun to approach. Coach D.Geezy must make every offseason count. He does not have the luxury of a bad recruiting class. A great program cannot exist without great men at the top and Tulane may have found theirs. Now it is time to put the pieces in place, recruit the talent, change the schemes, and prepare for greatness. It is time to be better than we thought possible, to not settle for mediocrity, to make every down count. It is only by refusing to be average that we attain excellence. A wave is on the horizon; Tulane football is on its way to something special."
Old 12-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #44

Deegeezy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rhude
Wow, what a great finish....I know you had to be thinking you were toast before pulling off that miracle TD......that might be the highest greatest score I've ever seen too.....
Yeah I had no idea they even went past 1,000 until that game. I wonder what the max is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearz49ers
I can just imagine how sweety your palms were in those final few seconds .
No doubt about it bro...My heart was beating through my chest during those final moments. I knew this was a game I HAD to have. If I had lost this one, I think I may have been demoted to the Sun Belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codizzle42
Wow what a finish, I wish I could do something like that haha.

Like Rhude said, my god that classic game score is ridiculously high.
Against Rice, I wish I hadn't. It would have been nice to finally get a blowout and have a game in which I can relax in the final minutes. This entire season has been a rollercoaster.

Quote:
WOW...what a game! The offense is still doing it's thing, but, I got a feeling that you'll be making some significant changes to the defense in the off-season. Here's to pissing on the Golden Knights parade and finishing with a win over UCF!
It would be nice to spoil UCF's season and build up some momentum for my team going into the 2011 season. It'l be a challenge though; They're roster is as stacked as anyone else's in the C-USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLW
Good Lord at the Greatness Score! Congrats on winning one whale of a game.
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC
You did all that without Casey Robottom, 504 yards, 4TD, no INT's, that's great! The win was just the cherry on top.
Griffin was in the zone in this game. He was very accurate for a change and Rice's defenders were terrible. I felt like I was at the Dome watching Drew Brees.

Quote:
That game was nuts, dude!!! Pretty sure that is the highest score I've ever seen. I know your heart was pounding.
Sure was man...I was extremely nervous that I was about to blow another gimme. I feel like every game this season has been close and I found a way to lose. Hopefully this gets us over that hump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpkin
That must have been some game to play. Clutch win

another great article from Cheese :clap:
Thanks man...

Cheese's article is definitely money. Big props to him for the write-up and I look forward to his next one. He hit the nail on every point...This team is not as bad as its record.

Quote:
Nice article, Cheese
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLW
Never seen a dynasty follower post a full blown article in another's dynasty. That's Awesome work from a dedicated follower of the Geezy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJ01
Great win, great game, and great article from cheese. :thumbsup:
No doubt - Cheese is the man. I definitely appreciate the extra insight into my team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiChullo
Wow, that Rice game was ridiculous. I'm sure you went from being very pissed to extremely happy. Two 70+ yard plays, crazy.
The term ""rollercoaster ride"" does not do the game justice. I went from emotional high, to emotional low, and back to a high again.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #45

Deegeezy's Arena

#25 14 -- 9-2 (6-1)
N/R 13 -- 3-8 (2-5)

On 3rd and Goal, UCF QB Rob Calabrese finds WR Kamar Aiken underneath and the senior fights his way into the end zone to give the Golden Knights their go-ahead touchdown which made the score 14-13 with 6:22 remaining in the game.

YET ANOTHER GUT-WRENCHING DEFEAT

Tulane plays one of its best defensive games of the season but in the end falls to #25 UCF 14-13 | Green Wave unable to answer the call following UCF QB Calabrese's game-winning touchdown pass | Geezy's calculated decision to not go for two earlier possibly costs team shot at an upset | Wave will travel to face Marshall next week in season finale

New Orleans -- The Tulane Green Wave, like so many other times this season, came close but in the end fell just short, this time to the 25th ranked UCF Golden Knights 14-13 Saturday at the Louisiana Superdome. UCF QB Rob Calabrese's 9-yard touchdown pass to WR Kamar Aiken with 6:22 remaining in the game provided the winning points for the Golden Knights.

Tulane would get the ball back one more time in the contest and drove it all the way to the UCF 40-yard line. However RB Orleans Darkwa was stuffed for a three yard loss on a 4th and 1 Wildcat sweep play, resulting in a turnover on downs with 4:03 remaining in the game.

UCF (9-2, 6-1) would get the ball back and go on a clock-eating drive. With :56 remaining and Tulane out of timeouts, the Golden Knights faced a 3rd and 2. The team was able to convert however as Calabrese took an option keeper around the right corner and was tackled near the first down marker by Tulane freshman SS Cameron DeJean. The officials ruled it a first down and UCF was then able to kneel on the ball to run out the clock.

"We had the order in to our defense that if they get the first down to just let them score however it was so close that I think Cam believed he had a shot to make the stop and he nearly did," said Tulane head coach D. Geezy.

A questionable decision by Geezy earlier in the game perhaps cost the Green Wave a chance at sending the game into overtime. After scoring a go-ahead touchdown to take a 12-7 lead in the third quarter, Geezy made the decision to go for the extra point rather than a two-point conversion to put his squad up 14-7.

"I would make that same call 100 times out of 100," said Geezy.

"I do not regret it one bit. This is just our philosophy but I do not believe in going for two that early in a tight ball game such as the one today. There are many things to consider in that situation.

"Should we miss it, now two field goals beats us. Should we miss it, now us kicking a field goal late in the game only makes it an 8-point game instead of putting it away with a 9-point lead. There was too much football left to be played at that juncture and to me, with the way they were playing defense, I did not like our odds of converting."

The game marks a whopping sixth time this season that Tulane has lost a game in which they led in the fourth quarter. All six games were decided by a touchdown or less.

"Overall this was a well-played ball game in that we had no turnovers and played pretty well defensively, however we just did not make enough big plays," said Geezy.

Tulane (3-8, 2-5) will travel to face Marshall (7-4, 5-2) next week in both team's regular season finale.

Note: Tulane starting WR D.J. Banks missed the game due to a brusied shoulder he sustained in last week's game against Rice. Banks, who was ruled ""questionable"" coming into the game, tried to give it a go in pregame warm-ups but was determined unable to play. The Green Wave were already without their other starting wideout, WR Casey Robottom, who was lost for the year in their game against SMU several weeks ago. Young wideouts Wilson Van Hooser (rs-fr) and Devin Figaro (so) started the game in their place.

Box Score

[table=""head;width=30em""]Team|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|Total
#25 UCF 9-2 (6-1)|7|0|0|7|14
Tulane 3-8 (2-5)|3|3|7|0|13[/table]

1st

TU: 42 yd FG by Rome 1:42 -- 3-0
CF: 71 yd TD pass from Calabrese to McDuffie (Boyle kick) 0:56 -- 3-7

2nd

TU: 31 yd FG by Rome 0:06 -- 6-7

3rd

TU: 2 yd TD run by Williams (Rome kick) 1:18 -- 13-7

4th

CF: 9 yd TD pass from Calabrese to Aiken (Boyle kick) 6:22 -- 13-14

Game Statistics

Tulane

Code:

* - IMPACT Player

11-QB  Ryan Griffin(rs-so)    113.9   14    24  159   0   0

25-RB  Albert Williams(jr)       18   60   1
40-RB  Orleans Darkwa(fr)         4   27   0
11-QB  Ryan Griffin(rs-so)        3  -14   0

89-WR  Devin Figaro(so)           4   54   0
 9-WR  Wilson Van Hooser(rs-fr)   3   39   0
25-RB  Albert Williams(jr)        3   13   0
88-TE  Tyler Helm(sr)             2   34   0
40-RB  Orleans Darkwa(fr)         1   11   0
35-FB  Jordan Stephany(sr)        1    8   0

4-FS  Shakiel Smith(so)         10    6    4    2    1    0
47-SS  Cameron DeJean(fr)         7    3    4    0    0    0
97-DE  Shane Delery(so)           4    2    2    1    1    0 

14-PK  Ryan Rome(rs-fr)           2       2     43     n/a     1       1

Tulane Key Team Stats:

Total Offensive Yards: 232
Rushing Yards: 73
Sacks Allowed: 3
3rd down conversions: 4-10 (40%)
Offensive Turnovers: 0
Penalties: 1 for 0 yards
Time of Possession: 18:37
UCF

Code:

* - IMPACT Player

4-QB  Rob Calabrese(jr)      216.3   17    21  260   2   0

27-RB  Jonathan Davis(jr)        20   69   0
 4-QB  Rob Calabrese(jr)          4  -14   0
35-RB  Ronnie Weaver(rs-jr)       3   21   0

88-TE  Adam Nissley(rs-jr)        4   53   0
81-WR  Kamar Aiken(sr)            3   37   1
14-WR  Quincy McDuffie(so)        3  106   1
 3-WR  A.J. Guyton(rs-jr)         2   18   0
27-RB  Jonathan Davis(jr)         2    9   0
87-WR  Joshua Reese(fr)           1   28   0
24-FB  Brendan Kelly(rs-so)       1    2   0
35-RB  Ronnie Weaver(rs-jr)       1    7   0 

21-SS  Darin Baldwin(sr)          8    6    2    0    0    0
94-DT  Wes Tunuufisauvao(rs-sr)   4    4    0    4    2    0 
54-MLB Chance Henderson(rs-sr)    4    2    2    1    1    0

28-PK  Jamie Boyle(so)            0       1     n/a    21      2       2

Opponent Key Team Stats:

Total Offensive Yards: 336
Rushing Yards: 76
Sacks Allowed: 2
3rd down conversions: 7-11 (63%)
Offensive Turnovers: 0
Penalties: 4 for 40 yards
Time of Possession: 20:16

Code:

Opponent (record)       Result        Tulane Player of the Game         -Record-
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
vs Southeastern (1-0)   L 34-41 (OT)  RB Williams 25 car 217 yds 2 tds  0-1 (0-0)
vs Ole Miss (2-0)       L 10-31       TE Helm 9 rec 137 yds             0-2 (0-0)
at Houston (3-0)        L 41-48       CB Davis 3 tk 2 fr 1 td           0-3 (0-1)
at Rutgers (3-1)        L 35-38       RB Williams 14 car 234 yds 3 tds  0-4 (0-1)
vs Army (2-4)           W 17-07       FS Smith 9 tk 2 tfl 1 int 1 ff    1-4 (0-1)
at Tulsa (3-4)          L 24-38       WR Robottom 5 rec 155 yds 1 td    1-5 (0-2)
at UTEP (5-3)           W 24-21       RB Williams 16 car 128 yds 1 td   2-5 (1-2)
vs SMU (4-5)            L 37-41       SS Echols 5 tak 1 sk 1 int 1 sfty 2-6 (1-3)
vs Southern Miss (8-1)  L 35-42 (2OT) RB Williams 28 car 119 yds 3 tds  2-7 (1-4)
vs Rice (1-9)           W 43-40       QB Griffin 29-42 504 yds 4 tds    3-7 (2-4)
vs UCF (9-2)            L 13-14       FS Smith 10 tk 2 tfl 1 sk         3-8 (2-5)
at Marshall

Next Game:

3-8 (2-5) at 7-4 (5-2)

Last edited by Deegeezy; 12-22-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #46

Deegeezy's Arena

TULANE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT INTEROFFICE MEMORANDUM

To: Rick Dickson, Athletic Director
Re: Commitments/Upcoming Visits
Date: Monday, November 15, 2010

Rick -

We did not sign any players this week however I just wanted to update you on our progress.

The bad news is that two of our top targets, QB Curtis Byrd and ATH/QB Derrick Mitchell soft committed this week to Colorado and Houston, respectively. The good news is that I think we still have a good shot at both of them, especially in the case of Mitchell.

At this stage, he is our #1 priority because I think he could be a good, mobile quarterback for our system. I really want this player and it would also be great to steal a player from our conference rival Houston. We will stress to him that with the Cougars, his career as a quarterback would be over but here, we're going to allow him to play the position he is currently playing at his high school.

Something interesting about Mitchell and Byrd is that neither of them has a single scholarship offer on the table from anyone but us, despite their "soft committments."

A couple of others besides Mitchell and Byrd have given soft commits as well unfortunately - ATH Kyle Ramirez and ATH Lawrence Washington both have us second though they have soft committed to Kansas St. and Colorado, respectively. These two may be more difficult to sway than Byrd and Mitchell.

The good news - No player has hard committed to any school since our last update.

More good news - The other big fish we have targeted, ATH Jonathan Lacey, seems to be poised to announce he will sign with us but I suspect he is waiting for Signing Day to make things official. His size and speed combination looks phenomenal.

Click here to view 2010 Tulane Green Wave Roster

Tulane Committments

[table=""head;width=50em""]Caliber|Pos|Name|State|Height|Weight|40-time|Bench|Squat
|DE|Jay Wood|TX|6-5|225|4.94|335|445
|OLB|Martin Dickson|LA|6-6|234|4.90|320|535
|TE|Jeff Valentine|LA|6-5|226|4.70|310|220
|DT|Joe Hogan|FL|6-5|298|5.16|340|485
|MLB|Shelton Babcock|LA|6-0|222|4.54|400|435[/table]

Already Visited - Decision Still Pending

[table=""head;width=60em""]Caliber|Pos|Name|State|Height|Weight|40-time|Bench|Squat|Interest^
|ATH|Derrick Mitchell|TX|5-11|210|4.54|310|285|Soft verbal (Houston)
|ATH|Kyle Ramirez|OK|6-2|184|4.42|290|250|Soft verbal (Kansas St.)
|RB|Henry Hawkins|TX|6-1|208|4.36|365|290|1st
|ATH|Lawrence Washington|TX|6-2|207|4.50|260|150|Soft verbal (Colorado)
|QB|Curtis Byrd|TX|6-1|201|4.60|250|295|Soft verbal (Colorado)
|ATH|Jonathan Lacey|LA|6-4|180|4.38|250|240|1st
|QB|Brad Parks|GA|6-4|218|4.94|290|185|1st
|WR|Cedric Hicks|TX|6-4|208|4.40|250|265|1st
|QB|Chris Daniels|LA|6-0|209|5.04|265|165|1st
|DT|Chauncey Harrison|TX|6-2|278|5.20|330|485|1st
|FB|Simon Parker|TX|6-0|237|4.50|380|200|Soft verbal (Tulane)
|CB|Derek Richardson|FL|6-1|160|4.50|195|240|Soft verbal (Tulane)
|C|Jeff Payne|GA|6-5|279|5.02|380|495|1st
|WR|Kerry Garner|AR|6-0|200|4.48|270|205|1st
|RB|Matt Thomas|TX|5-9|168|4.44|370|150|1st
|WR|Jon Sapp|TX|6-0|180|4.48|250|340|1st
|OT|Roosevelt Shaw|LA|6-3|261|4.90|370|445|1st[/table]

Targeted - Has Not Visited

[table=""head;width=60em""]Caliber|Pos|Name|State|Height|Weight|40-time|Bench|Squat|Interest^
|CB|Jason Berry (juco-jr)|TX|5-11|194|4.46|225|220|3rd
|FS|Joe Hayes|FL|6-1|202|4.52|365|280|6th
|ATH|Joseph Roberts|LA|6-2|184|4.46|250|340|3rd[/table]

^ - Estimated based on conversations with recruits and reports from Rivals.com

Click here to view 2010 Tulane Green Wave Roster

Old 12-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #47

Deegeezy's Arena

Quote:
Another tough loss, but at least you are playing with the big boys of C-USA. I think if you snagged both Mitchell and Ramirez...that would be one hell of a coup. Especially Mitchell. The generated QB's in this year's game are not that fast. Getting a guy with 4.5 speed at the position could really transform your offense for 2011.
Yeah that is my hope. His THP and THA ratings look decent (C range) and his speed is a B+. I'm thinking he'll come in rated pretty similarly to Griffin and give him a run for the starting job. Though Griffin has been pretty good as of late, it is difficult using him because he is a statue back there with no ability to escape pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codizzle42
Damn, so close to beating UCF!
Sadly at this point, I am used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJ01
Tough loss there man, hopefully you can bring some of the nice recruits
Thanks...I expect to sign some in bunches in the next couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC
Lacey needs to commit ASAP :yep:
Lacey is a done deal man. Start printing up the jerseys.

:::Knocks on wood:::::

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLW
13-14? Just not your season when your defense finally shows up but the offense lays and egg. Now if you could just channel that defensive performance with your normal offense you would be on to something.
Yeah it has just been one of those years. It is good to know that we're not too far away from being a good team though. I expect to dominate this conference within the next two years.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #48

Deegeezy's Arena

Re: Coach Geezy in the Big Easy: Our City, Our Team | Tulane Green Wave (Part I archi

32 -- 4-8 (3-5)
31 -- 7-5 (5-3)

TOP: Tulane redshirt freshman PK Ryan Rome hits a 33-yard game-winning field goal as time expires, giving the Green Wave a 32-31 victory over Marshall. BOTTOM: Wave senior CB Phillip Davis' interception, the first of his career, came with just 1:06 remaining and helped set up Rome's winning field goal. FS Shakiel Smith (#4), came through clean on a designed run blitz that ended up hurrying Marshall QB Willy Korn's throw.

KICKER RYAN ROME'S GAME-WINNING FIELD GOAL AS TIME EXPIRES GIVES TULANE A 32-31 VICTORY OVER MARSHALL IN SEASON FINALE

Senior CB Davis comes up with first career interception to set up game-winner in his final game as a member of the Green Wave | After team fails two-point conversion to tie the game, Geezy puts faith in his defense and it pays off | Tulane finishes 2010 season with 4-8 record, surpassing last season's win total

Huntington, WV -- The Tulane Green Wave pulled off a mild upset in their 2010 season finale, defeating the Marshall Thundering Herd 32-31 Saturday on the road. Green Wave PK Ryan Rome's 33-yard field goal as time expired gave the Wave its first ever win over Marshall in school history. The kick was set up a few plays before when CB Phillip Davis, playing in his final game at Tulane, came up with the first interception of his career with just 1:06 remaining in the game. The big play set Tulane up with a first down at the Marshall 30-yard line, allowing the team to run four plays to milk the clock and set up for their winning field goal.

Prior to the interception, the Green Wave had cut their deficit to two following freshman back-up RB Orleans Darkwa's 12-yard touchdown run that made the score 31-29 with 1:31 remaining. However starting RB Albert Williams , who finished with a game-high 158 rushing yards, was stuffed on a power off-tackle play on the ensuing two-point conversion attempt, leaving Tulane with a deficit and leaving head coach D. Geezy with a decision...Kick the onsides kick or kick it deep and put the game in the hands of a defense that has let the team down all year long.

He decided to kick it and play defense, setting up Davis' interception on 2nd and 8.

"I made the decision to play the odds," said Geezy.

"The chances of recovering a non-surprise onsides kick at this level are about 13%. I felt that if we really buckled down and focused on defense, we could make a play and Davis did just that.

"I was very surprised that they attempted to throw there. We came out in a run-stuffing defensive look and they decided to check out of it and throw the fade on Davis' side like they did earlier in the game. This time it cost them."

Tulane finishes its first season under Geezy with a 4-8 overall record and a 3-5 Conference USA record. Both totals surpass the team's 2009 marks, when they finished 3-9 overall and 1-7 in conference play.

Notes: Tulane played the majority of the game without starting sophomore QB Ryan Griffin, who left the game in the first quarter with a dislocated elbow injury. Redshirt junior QB Joe Kemp finished the game for Griffin and went 13 of 26 for 188 yards while throwing one touchdown and one interception. The team was already without both of its starting wide receivers, senior Casey Robottom and sophomore D.J. Banks, who sustained injuries earlier in the season.

Greatest Game Score: 710 (#3 Overall)

Box Score

[table=""head;width=30em""][COLOR=""white""]Team[/color]|[COLOR=""white""]1st[/color]|[COLOR=""white""]2nd[/color]|[COLOR=""white""]3rd[/color]|[COLOR=""white""]4th[/color]|[COLOR=""white""]Total[/color]
Tulane 4-8 (3-5)|3|10|7|12|32
Marshall 7-5 (5-3)|3|7|14|7|31[/table]

1st

TU: 36 yd FG by Rome 4:27 -- 3-0
MA: 43 yd FG by Warner 2:46 -- 3-3

2nd

MA: 5 yd TD pass from Korn to Smith (Warner kick) 3:53 -- 3-10
TU: 21 yd TD pass from Kemp to Helm (Rome kick) 2:13 -- 10-10
TU: 35 yd FG by Rome 0:09 -- 13-10

3rd

MA: 76 yd TD run by Edwards-Maye (Warner kick) 7:45 -- 13-17
MA: 10 yd TD pass from Korn to Walker (Warner kick) 3:47 -- 13-24
TU: 5 yd TD run by Kemp (Rome kick) 1:41 -- 20-24

4th

TU: 35 yd FG by Rome 6:05 -- 23-24
MA: 5 yd TD pass from Korn to Taylor (Warner kick) 4:35 -- 23-31
TU: 12 yd TD run by Darkwa (2-pt Williams run failed) 1:31 -- 29-31
TU: 33 yd FG by Rome 0:00 -- 32-31

Game Statistics

Tulane

Code:

* - IMPACT Player

11-QB  Ryan Griffin(rs-so)    136.6    2     3   25   0   0
injured in first qtr (dislocated elbow) | out 10 weeks
 7-QB  Joe Kemp(rs-jr)        115.7   13    26  188   1   1   

25-RB  Albert Williams(jr)       24  158   0
40-RB  Orleans Darkwa(fr)         5   22   1
 7-QB  Joe Kemp(rs-jr)            3  -12   1
89-WR  Devin Figaro(so)           1    3   0

89-WR  Devin Figaro(so)           5   76   0
88-TE  Tyler Helm(sr)             4   60   1
 9-WR  Wilson Van Hooser(rs-fr)   3   61   0
25-RB  Albert Williams(jr)        2    7   0
86-WR  Brandon Clark(so)          1    9   0

13-CB  Phillip Davis(sr)         10    9    1    0    0    1
97-DE  Shane Delery(so)           4    4    0    1    1    0 (1 ff)
10-CB  Ryan Travis(so)            4    4    0    1    1    0
95-DT  Justin Adams(sr)           1    1    0    0    0    0 (1 fr)

14-PK  Ryan Rome(rs-fr)           4       4     36     n/a     2       2

Tulane Key Team Stats:

Total Offensive Yards: 384
Rushing Yards: 171
Sacks Allowed: 1
3rd down conversions: 2-12 (16%)
4th down conversions: 3-3 (100%)
Penalties: 3 for 30 yards
Time of Possession: 23:25
Marshall

Code:

* - IMPACT Player

4-QB  Willy Korn(rs-jr)      223.7   19    24  319   3   1 

2-RB  Terrell Edwards-Maye(jr)  16  143   1
 4-QB  Willy Korn(rs-jr)         10    4   0
84-WR  *Chuck Walker(sr)          1    0   0
26-WR  Jamal Wilson(so)           1    0   0

82-WR  *Antavious Wilson(rs-so)   5  126   0
26-WR  Jamal Wilson(so)           4   75   0
84-WR  *Chuck Walker(sr)          4   58   1
16-TE  Lee Smith(rs-sr)           4   43   1
24-FB  Jordan Taylor(rs-so)       1    5   1
 2-RB  Terrell Edwards-Maye(jr)   1   12   0

31-FS  Omar Brown(jr)            10    8    2    1    0    0
99-DE  Vinny Curry(sr)            3    3    0    2    1    0
46-FS  Brian Robinson(fr)         2    1    1    0    0    1

37-PK  Tyler Warner(jr)           1       4     44  31,22,48   4       4

Opponent Key Team Stats:

Total Offensive Yards: 466
Rushing Yards: 147
Sacks Allowed: 2
3rd down conversions: 3-8 (37%)
Offensive Turnovers: 2
Penalties: 2 for 20 yards
Time of Possession: 13:17

Code:

vs UCF (9-2)            L 13-14       FS Smith 10 tk 2 tfl 1 sk         3-8 (2-5)
at Marshall (7-5)       W 32-31       CB Davis 10 tk 1 int              4-8 (3-5)

END OF REGULAR SEASON

Last edited by Deegeezy; 12-22-2015 at 05:44 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »