Home

An Era of Change - Louisiana Tech

This is a discussion on An Era of Change - Louisiana Tech within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2016, 10:42 PM   #9
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: An Era of Change - Louisiana Tech

Season Schedule

BulldogsInsider

August 20, 2014

While there is certainly plenty of hype in Ruston regarding this upcoming season, fans might want to douse their optimism. While this might be the most talented squad that Louisiana Tech has ever fielded (that is not a hyperbolic statement, this team has numerous future NFL players), they will have to navigate through arguably the most difficult schedule that they have ever faced. A shocking six of the first seven games will be on the road and two of them include trips to Norman and Auburn against top 25 teams. A 6-6 record should not be scoffed at this season, but rather, it should be seen as a sign of encouragement. There is no doubt that this team is on the rise, and Ash's inaugural season should be viewed upon as merely a stepping stone into what looks to be a very productive future.

Louisian Tech 2014 Schedule
DATEOPPONENTRESULT
Aug 30at Oklahoma
Sep 6at Auburn
Sep 13vs Northwestern State
Sep 20at Louisiana Lafayette
Oct 4at UTEP
Oct 18at Western Kentucky
Oct 25at UAB
Nov 1vs Old Dominion
Nov 8at Florida Atlantic
Nov 15vs Rice
Nov 22vs Marshall
Nov 29vs UTSA

"What we have accomplished is that we have shown ourselves that we are capable." -Les Miles
Old 02-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #10
YaBoyRobRoy

LopaKa's Arena

OVR: 7

Damn that's a brutal schedule, it's going to be a tough first season!
Old 02-22-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopaKa
Damn that's a brutal schedule, it's going to be a tough first season!
Thanks for following man! It should be a fun series. Yeah, it's real tough haha. It sucks because this team has a lot of talent, but I think next season we'll be even better. Hopefully Dixon and Vernon Butler don't decide to go pro after this season because they're both studs!

"What we have accomplished is that we have shown ourselves that we are capable." -Les Miles
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #12
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

Mono y Mono - Coach Ash

BulldogsInsider

August 27, 2014

(Every week, there will be four articles, Mono y Mono, My Thoughts, Recruiting Insider, and Opponent Preview which are written with the intent to familiarize fans with the players, opponents, recruits, and editors of BulldogsInsider. This week, for Mono y Mono, we interview Coach Rob Ash)

BulldogsInsider: So Coach, as we get ready for the season, what are your thoughts regarding your team's progress throughout spring and fall practices?

Ash: I think that we've grown a lot as a family; family being the optimal word there. So many times, you get coaches that are so obsessed with winning and attaining glory above all else that they neglect their primary duty as a leader of young men. My number one responsibility is to prepare these guys for what's gonna happen after these four or five years of school. Whether they go on to the NFL, become coaches, or go in a different direction, I want them to know that they've got a support system here at La Tech. In that aspect, I think we've really gotten these kids to buy in and give maximum effort this off-season. They've responded well to criticism and coaching because they trust us as mentors and father-figures. There's really nothing more that you can ask for than that as a coach.

BI: Offensively, what will you guys look like this year? You usually implemented a couple heavy sets in your days at Montana State, but that doesn't seem like a reasonable option with the lack of tight ends on the roster.

A: Well, to be successful in this business, you have to be adaptable. Luckily in our case, we have a really innovative staff with creative and ingenious minds. Coach Sloan has experience running the air raid system at East Carolina, and that might be the look that we give this season. I'm not gonna put square pegs into round holes; we'll see what everyone is good at and adjust our offense accordingly. So, to answer your question, I'm not sure to be honest. We'll have to see what the future brings in that regard.

BI: Talk a little bit about Kenneth Dixon. How does he fit in your offensive system and do you see him putting up big numbers this year?

A: I sure hope so haha! Kenneth, above all of his great attributes, is a tireless worker and a real leader on this team. He lives by example and is largely responsible for the culture change that this program is now entering. I've always valued a strong running game as the key to winning games, and Kenneth should give us that dynamic option at tailback this season. He's just one of those guys who is so talented that you have to step back and admire the type of player that he is. In a word, I would define him as special, and I see him going down as one of the all-time Bulldog greats.

BI: Give us an under-the-radar guy on offense to look out for this season. Someone who has really impressed you in camp so far.

A: I'd have to say that the entire running back group has really stood out so far, and that's not always the case in camp, especially when we're practicing without pads. Obviously, Kenneth's a stud, but King and McKnight are two really unique talents who should play a big role this season. King is a small guy, but he's got great balance and quickness. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in athleticism and athletes are guys that we need to get on the field. McKnight is one of those physical specimens. He looks like he could play defensive end, but he runs like receiver. As far as raw talent goes, he's probably number one on the team, but I've been even more impressed with his willingness to immerse himself in the playbook and learn specific protections.

BI: Defensively, are you more hands on or off?

A: I try not to exercise absolute authority in any area of the team (offense, defense, or special teams), but I always want to be actively involved in the workings of each of the units. Coach Diaz is a well-renowned coach, and we were lucky to keep him in Ruston for another season. I trust his judgement in most cases, but I definitely am just as hands on with the defense as I am with the offense.

BI: What's the outlook defensively this season? It seems like you could have a really special group.

A: Absolutely, I think the defense is going to carry the load this season and we have veteran leadership at every level. Houston Bates has been a tremendous leader despite the fact that this is his first year with the team. He was voted a captain unanimously and it just goes to show how dedicated he is to being the best player and person that he can be. Another guy whose positive influence is just infectious is Adarius Barnes. He might be the best player on the team, but he goes 100 mph on every snap. I'm very confident that our defense will be up there with the top units in the conference.

BI: As far as recruiting goes, what are some challenges that you've run into and what are some differences between recruiting in Louisiana and recruiting in Montana?

A: Well I think it's obvious that the wealth of talent in the southeast is just amazing. Honestly, I've never seen young men who are so massive able to move so athletically. We truly are in a golden age of the sport in general. But in today's society where so much emphasis, specifically from the youth, is placed on recent success and instant gratification, it's definitely a challenge convincing kids to come to a school where they may be apart of the groundwork of a long-term building process. It takes a real mature kind of person to step up and go out of their comfort zone and that's the kind of guys that we want in this program. Where some teams recruit talent solely, we're evaluating what kind of person these guys are first and foremost.

BI: Last question, for fans who are curious, what is a reasonable expectation for this season? What would you consider a success? A disappointment?

A: I really try not to define success by wins and losses, and while I understand that my record is what will determine my job status, you just can't put a number on something like that when you're dealing with 18-23 year old kids. Honestly, the most I can ask for is that our guys would represent their families, their hometowns, and their school with the utmost effort and dignity on gameday. If we give 100 percent every snap, I like our chances versus any team in the country.

BI: Thanks for your time Coach, good luck this season.

Last edited by DucksForever; 02-22-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #13
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

Recruiting Insider

Logo courtesy of "Sports Logos Screensavers"

BulldogsInsider

August 27, 2014

The first installment of the Recruiting Insider highlights the best player that the Bulldogs are targeting right now. Kiante Bullock is a physical specimen, and it would be a dream come true for him to come to Ruston. Bullock is a well-developed player at 6'5 313. He could seemingly come in his freshman year and compete for the starting job. Right now, the Bulldogs are the favorites for the Texan as he has really connected with coach Moore (the offensive line coach). West Virginia and Arizona are in the race, but distance seems to be a slight factor as well as the opportunity to play right away on a Bulldog front that will be decimated by graduation.

Strengths

Bullock is a physically mature player with elite functional strength and great aggression in the run game. He's got terrific size to go with his brute force and he has experience playing some quality competition these past few seasons.

Weaknesses

As with many big guards, he can be beat with inside speed rushers in the passing game and athletic ends or tackles in the running game. He's not a dancing bear type, more of a plodding bulldozer. He'll need to spend some time in the film room as well to understand how to pick up stunts and blitz packages.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:20 PM   #14
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

Opponent Preview - Oklahoma

Bulldogs Insider

August 27, 2014

This is it; the big day is finally upon us. After an agonizing football-less summer, the stage is set for the greatest spectacle of the free world to return to its rightful place at the center of the TV of Americans and even international viewers across the world. There may be no greater feeling in the world than hearing Brad Nessler and Kirk Herbstreit articulate the sheer passion and enthusiasm that this sport induces to people across the globe. For Louisiana Tech, this season is met with cautious optimism, or as it is being known around campus, the "O-word". Players and coaches might be trying to tamper expectations, but it will be to no avail. There is simply too much hype around the future of this program to be held back by the constraints of "realism"...that is, until after this week's game against the Oklahoma Sooners.

Oklahoma (88 OVR, 88 OFF, 87 DEF)

The Sooners have been kings of the BIG XII since Colt McCoy's eligibility (finally) ran out. But now, the Sooners are being pushed by the historical pushover Baylor, and "the little engine that could" in TCU. However, don't expect the Bulldogs to be much of a threat to the boys in Crimson. The Sooners routinely recruit and develop talent as well as anybody in the nation and Bob Stoops is one of the best coaches in college football today. Unfortunately, this has all the makings of a "bug-meets-windshield" type of game. (La Tech is the bug and OU is the windshield if I wasn't clear enough).

Players to Watch

QB - Trevor Knight (83 OVR): Trevor Knight is an interesting story. He was a moderately pursued recruit who has always been loyal to the crimson and cream. A model citizen and an even better teammate, Knight has never lacked integrity...it's the talent that we just don't know about. At one point, the polarizing figure was said to be the future of Oklahoma football and was compared to the illustrious and infamous Johnny "Football" Manziel. However, Knight lacks the same ball placement and improvisational skills as the fleet-footed phenom, and he has never been able to grasp the system at OU. Could this be the year, or game, in which Knight breaks out?

HB - Samaje Perine (90 OVR): Before Perine stepped on campus, the Adrian Peterson comparisons were rampant. Perine is not the player that Peterson was (who is to be honest?), but that is not a slight at him by any means. Even though he is a freshman, Perine is easily the best back on the team already and one of the team's best players. Gifted with exceptional power and nimble feet, he has a chance to break many Sooner records.

WR - Sterling Shepard (88 OVR): Following the tragic passing of his father (an OU alum and legend), Sterling remained loyal to his commitment to his coach and friend Bob Stoops. An absolutely heartwarming story of loyalty, respect, and sacrifice is further amplified by the fact that Shepard is a dominant receiver and a future NFL star. Built in the same vein as a Tyler Lockett, Shepard is a terrific athlete who is practically a coach on the field at the same time.

DE - Charles Tapper (85 OVR): Tapper is a player who will be keeping one eye on the field and one eye on his draft stock this season. Tapper has had a productive career thus far and is in line for a big pay day at the next level. Built like a defensive end, but gifted with the athleticism of an outside linebacker, look for Tapper to wreak havoc on opposing offenses this season.

OLB - Eric Striker (89): The man who plays with a chip the size of Texas on his shoulder (sorry Sooner fans for using the "T-word"), Eric Striker is angry at the world, and he'll let you know about it on gameday. This linebacker turned heat seeking missile will absolutely destroy your endzone reservations, and if he's really fired up, he might send your quarterback out on a stretcher. Considered a tweener at the next level, Striker is out to prove that he is big enough and bad enough to take your lunch money...and not say sorry.

CB - Zack Sanchez (88): Sanchez is a player who has had his ups and downs throughout the course of his young career. A true ball-hawk, Sanchez has elite level ball skills to go with top notch athleticism. Ability has never been his question, but rather it is his discipline (on the field) which has raised some concerns. Constantly roasted by double moves and never too physical at the line of scrimmage, Sanchez has a chance to dispel rumors about alleged flaws in his game this season.

Special Teams: OU is led by a veteran kicker and punter who are both among the best at their positions in the BIG XII. It's not often that we highlight the glorified soccer players, but expect them to have a legitimate impact on the game today.

Editors Note - I plan to do these opponent previews in a sensationalist type journalism style just to add diversity to the series and continue to expand my repertoire as a journalist. However, if anyone prefers a more cut-and-dry preview each week, I will be happy to accommodate your requests and stick to a more objective and professional style.

Last edited by DucksForever; 02-22-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #15
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0

Rough schedule with only 5 games at home. Best of luck in your debut season!

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #16
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

KO'ed - Louisiana Tech tumbles against Oklahoma 38-3

BulldogsInsider

August 30, 2014

It wasn't pretty for the Bulldogs in Norman this weekend as the boys in blue fell 38-3 to the Oklahoma Sooners. An absolute butt-kicking in every facet of the game, Louisiana Tech just didn't belong on the same field as Oklahoma. "Real tough opponent that we just faced there. There's no shame in getting beat like that; the only problem is if we don't learn from our mistakes and improve," says coach Ash. Honestly, there wasn't much that went right in this contest. The Sooners racked up nearly 500 yards of total offense and routinely limited the Bulldogs offense all game long. It's a long season and there's no reason to panic, but fans can't help but be a little disappointed at this lopsided result on opening weekend.

As far as the game is concerned, there isn't much, if anything, good to say about the offense. The unit left points on the board on many occasions as they missed 2 make-able 4th down attempts and threw critical interceptions all game long. Cody Sokol really struggled once the Bulldogs went to a more passing-oriented attack as they fell behind. "Cody's a veteran player. He didn't have his best game, anybody could see that. But we're counting on him to grow and improve like the rest of the team and we expect to see him play better next week," says Ash. In all honesty, the blame cannot be placed solely on Sokol. While the offensive line actually protected well, surprisingly, in the passing game, Kenneth Dixon and Co. could not manufacture any type of ground game to give Sokol support. Additionally, Sokol's second interception was the direct result of an excellent throw that was subsequently dropped by Paul Turner (a player who has really struggled in camp leading up to this game). On top of all this, star receiver Trent Taylor left the game in the second quarter with a concussion and is questionable for next week. It was just a melody of mayhem and mishaps for an offensive units that had plenty of question marks heading into the contest. Hopefully next week yields better results.

If there's a silver lining in this game, it is the play of this defense. While the unit surrendered a decent amount of yards, they were routinely put in terrible positions by Sokol's 4 interceptions (one of them immediately followed LTU's only interception of Knight) and they still played relatively well. Samaje Perine was an unstoppable force whenever he touched the ball averaging over 10 yards a touch, but Oklahoma surprisingly decided to feature Trevor Knight's legs as a complement to Perine's brute force. While Knight had a productive day on the ground, he was limited to less than 200 yards passing and Adarius Barnes absolutely blanketed star receiver Sterling Shepard all game long holding him without a catch. Vernon Butler was the best player on the field for the Bulldog's by far as he racked up 3.0 sacks and routinely pressured Knight all game long. While it wasn't a perfect showing for the defense, it was a worthy effort against a much more talented squad.

Next week, the Bulldogs travel to the Plains to take on the Auburn Tigers. Prepare for another shellacking...

Louisiana Tech Bulldogs at Oklahoma Sooners
Aug 30, 20141ST2ND3RD4THOTSCORE
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (0-1 (0-0))0300-3
Oklahoma Sooners (1-0 (0-0))714314-38
Team Stats Comparison
LTOKLA
Total Offense289479
Rushing Yards119297
Passing Yards170182
First Downs1524
Punt Return Yards715
Kick Return Yards052
Total Yards296546
Turnovers41
3rd Down Converstion8-18 (44%)3-8 (37%)
4th Down Conversion2-4 (50%)1-1 (100%)
2-Point Conversion0-0 (0%00-0 (0%)
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals0/1 (33%)3/0 (100%)
Penalties1-50-0
Posession Time18:0413:55
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
C. Sokol18/3317004
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
K. Dixon18553.00
K. McKnight9384.20
T. King4266.50
C. Sokol410.20
J. DeClouette2-1-0.50
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
P. Turner4266.50
J. DeClouette4276.70
K. Gary44411.00
H. Lee33210.60
C. Henderson22211.00
T. Taylor11919.00
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
T. Pinson90.000
V. Butler83.000
L.Liggins70.010
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
L. McPherson1/20/0324
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
T. Kijak312240.60
PUNT RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
T. Taylor177.00
Oklahoma Sooners
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
T. Knight15/2618221
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
T. Knight241626.71
S. Perine151448.82
A. Ripkowski122.00
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
D. Neal5367.21
T. Metoyer45914.70
M. Quick33612.00
S. Perine25929.51
B. Bell1-8-8.00
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
C. Tapper82.000
Q. Hayes60.020
Z. Sanchez30.010
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
M. Hunnicutt1/35/5843
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
J. Barnett15050.00
KICK RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
S. Shepard25226.00
PUNT RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
S. Shepard2157.50

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »