Home

Maize's Chargers | Finding A Home, Building A Contender

This is a discussion on Maize's Chargers | Finding A Home, Building A Contender within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #49
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Maize's Chargers | Finding A Home, Building A Contender

I usually don't really read NFL dynasties on here, but you have my interest. I just got caught up on the whole thread. It was interesting to see how AWFUL the NFC East was lol.

Quick question, how does the move work in this? I haven't reached the offseason in madden, but are you actually able to play at the Coliseum and share the Rams stadium? I'm assuming you had to relocate and make your own in reality.

Major Boise State fan
Old 10-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #50
MVP

Maize08's Arena

OVR: 6

Vince Newsome Named Chargers General Manager | January 21, 2017
The Chargers organization had has a very busy week. After announcing the team's official relocation to Los Angeles, the front office also continued their search for a new General Manager.

It came as a surprise when the team found themselves without a General Manager. There had been rumors about further front office restructuring. After the last game of the regular season, Telesco took a meeting with the Buffalo Bills. Days later, the 43 year old Telesco became the GM of the Buffalo Bills.

New President of Football Operations Terry McDonough wasted little time. In less than two weeks, it was announced that the team had hired Vince Newsome, the Ravens Director of Pro Personnel.

Both McDonough and Newsome came up through the NFL with the Browns organization. He was part of the Browns franchise when they moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens. So both men have been part of a relocating franchise before.

Newsome has been the Ravens Director of Pro Personnel for the last eight seasons. He works closely with his father, Ozzie Newsome, analyzing NFL rosters and aiding in free agency and roster building.

Besides being the son of legendary General Manager Ozzie Newsome, Vince also had a 10 year career as a player in the NFL. As a safety with the Rams and Browns, he won the Ed Block Courage Award in 1989 with the Rams.

After his playing career, Newsome joined the Browns organization as a special assignment scout. That's when he met McDonough, who was also in the scouting department with the Browns.

When the team moved to Baltimore, Newsome became the team's West area scout. He has made a career as a widely respected scout and talent evaluator. McDonough and Newsome, both having a scouting background, seem focused on building the Chargers through the draft and younger players.

Newsome's first job will be finding the new Head Coach of the Chargers. He will join the team's committee to hire a new coach. To this point, the team has only interviewed three candidates: Offensive Coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, Eagles Defensive Coordinator Jim Schwartz, and Lions Defensive Coordinator Teryl Austin.

The search is expected to increase in the next few weeks. Many of the top candidates in the NFL are still coaching in the playoffs. As the team starts to transition and move, the changes continue for the franchise.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #51
MVP

Maize08's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
I usually don't really read NFL dynasties on here, but you have my interest. I just got caught up on the whole thread. It was interesting to see how AWFUL the NFC East was lol.

Quick question, how does the move work in this? I haven't reached the offseason in madden, but are you actually able to play at the Coliseum and share the Rams stadium? I'm assuming you had to relocate and make your own in reality.
Thanks a lot, I'm glad you're following. It was interesting to see the standings in the NFL. They did seem to be semi-realistic, seeing how the first few weeks have gone.

So, you can relocate the franchise to Los Angeles. You have to start during the city (I think it starts around Week 3). Then, you build a stadium. I picked the conventional bowl stadium, looks similar to the Coliseum. Then in three seasons, I'll build a new one to match the City of Champions. So you can't share with the Rams, that would be a great addition to relocating to a city.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #52
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize08
Thanks a lot, I'm glad you're following. It was interesting to see the standings in the NFL. They did seem to be semi-realistic, seeing how the first few weeks have gone.

So, you can relocate the franchise to Los Angeles. You have to start during the city (I think it starts around Week 3). Then, you build a stadium. I picked the conventional bowl stadium, looks similar to the Coliseum. Then in three seasons, I'll build a new one to match the City of Champions. So you can't share with the Rams, that would be a great addition to relocating to a city.
Cool, I think it will be interesting to see how the finances go of trying to build two stadiums within a few years I didn't even think the game would let you build unless the stadium had a terrible rating. Perhaps, if it wont, the deal fell through with the Rams and you adopted the coliseum.

Major Boise State fan
Old 10-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #53
MVP

Maize08's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
Cool, I think it will be interesting to see how the finances go of trying to build two stadiums within a few years I didn't even think the game would let you build unless the stadium had a terrible rating. Perhaps, if it wont, the deal fell through with the Rams and you adopted the coliseum.
That's an interesting idea. You're right, it has to be below a certain level. I guess I'll find out if I can in a few seasons.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #54
MVP

Maize08's Arena

NFL Championship Game Results
Sun. Jan. 22, 1:00 PM | Pittsburgh Steelers 42, New England Patriots 31
Sun. Jan. 22, 4:30 PM | Arizona Cardinals 23, Green Bay Packers 33

Super Bowl LI
Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Green Bay Packers

Old 10-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #55
MVP

Maize08's Arena

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #56
MVP

Maize08's Arena

Chargers Hire Harold Goodwin as Head Coach | February 3, 2017
On the Friday before Super Bowl 51, the Los Angeles Chargers formally announced the man they hope will guide them to the big game. Harold Goodwin, the 43-year-old Offensive Coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals, has been named the 16th Head Coach in team history.

Goodwin comes to Los Angeles as the team is starting a relocation and “retooling” process. President Terry McDonough has shied away from calling it a “rebuilding effort,” believing the Chargers have the talent to win right away. Especially under the direction of Goodwin.

“Coach Goodwin is a strong leader and the right person to lead the Chargers. His experience in Arizona have prepared him to thrive (in Los Angeles).” said McDonough, during the introductory Press Conference for Goodwin.

Much of the praise and interest in Goodwin as a Head Coach comes from his impressive pedigree. A former offensive lineman at the University of Michigan, he played under Head Coach Gary Moeller and became a standout player. He pursued a coaching career immediately after college.

His time in the NFL started in 2004, when Lovie Smith hired Goodwin as an Assistant Offensive Line Coach. He would move on to Pittsburgh and work under Head Coach Mike Tomlin. He helped the Steelers win Super Bowl XLIII and advance to Super Bowl XLV. He was credited with developing young lineman like Mike Pouncey, Chris Kemoeatu, and Kraig Urbik.

It was with the Steelers where Goodwin met Coach Bruce Arians. Arians and Goodwin would coach together from 2006 until this past season. Goodwin would follow Arians to Indianapolis in 2012.

The Colts became a prolific offense under the direction of Arians and play of Andrew Luck. Indy’s nine-win improvement from 2011 (2-14 to 11-5) matched the third-largest single-season turnaround in NFL history.

Arians’ success with the Colts led him to his first Head Coaching job, with the Arizona Cardinals. Goodwin was named the team’s Offensive Coordinator. He continued to help with the offensive line, but was now aiding another turnaround effort.

The success of the Cardinals had much to do with the offense coming full-circle. From being ranked last in the league in 2012, to the Cardinals finishing 2015 with the best offense in the NFL.

Harold Goodwin was quick to thank “BA” (Coach Arians) for his development as a coach. Starting in the 2015 offseason, Arians gave the reins of the offseason instruction and implementation. Goodwin even called plays during the 2015 and ‘16 preseason.

“I was given a chance to run the show,” said Goodwin. “Don’t get me wrong, it was still BA’s team. But I got to grow as a coach. Much like what he did for Todd Bowles (now the Head Coach of the Jets).”

Goodwin takes over in Los Angeles after a recent offensive collapse. In Mike McCoy’s first three seasons, the offense had been ranked between 5th and 10th in the NFL. This past season, the offense was ranked 22nd.

The running game is a focal point for Goodwin, who is hoping to give the team more “attitude and toughness” on both sides of the ball. The running game has always been the weakness for the Chargers, never ranked above 13th in any of McCoy’s seasons.

While Goodwin will be focused on the offense, even potentially calling plays for the Chargers, he is looking for an experienced Defensive Coordinator. Arians taught him to build a strong culture, starting with the coaching staff.

“I’m looking to bring in experienced coaches. I want to bring an attitude to the Chargers. Growing up, this was Dan Fouts and Kellen Winslow. It was “The Epic in Miami” and a team that did not quit. That’s going to be our trademark here. We won’t quit, won’t back down.”

Harold Goodwin will now have a role in crafting this roster for the future. He is likely to install the zone blocking scheme and west coast passing concepts that made Arizona a prolific offense since Arians arrived.

Goodwin signed a four year contract with the Chargers, but the specifics of that contract are not known. Clearly, the franchise is again hoping a young, first-time Head Coach can rejuvenate the team. This time, the goal is sustaining success and building a contender in the AFC.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »