Home

Coach Hawkins' Journey to the Top: Volume I | The Problematic Pirates

This is a discussion on Coach Hawkins' Journey to the Top: Volume I | The Problematic Pirates within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
Pro

jpfine's Arena

OVR: 0

Coach Hawkins' Journey to the Top: Volume I
The Problematic Pirates

Overview

A couple months ago, I tried to start a relegation dynasty with the Central Michigan Chippewas, but that didn't last too long, unfortunately. I wasn't able to get past the first season due to a mixture of reasons, but I wanted to try it again and improve upon the mistakes that I made. I would recommend checking the first thread and skimming through it to understand what I was trying to do.

To try to keep this one rolling and in an effort to keep my interest in this, I will be taking as long as possible to get each game out. In the last dynasty, I felt an obligation to get as much information and to write as many articles and to play as many games as possible. I realize now that this “obligation” was no obligation at all. I put a lot of effort into the articles, and I still want to put effort into them, but they definitely won’t be that long or in that quantity as it was in the last one. Stick with me, I hope you all enjoy it as much as I (hopefully) will.

Like I said in that last thread, I found the idea of a relegation dynasty on the OS Forums months before my first relegation dynasty and I thought that it was a solid incentive to try to take a team from the bottom tier to the top tier. To give some background, the system that I created for this relegation dynasty is as follows:

Tier 1: SEC and Pac-12 (16 teams each)
Tier 2: Big Ten and Big 12 (12 teams each)
Tier 3: ACC and American (12 teams each)
Tier 4: MAC (10 teams)
Tier 5: Mountain West (10 teams)
Tier 6: C-USA (10 teams)
Tier 7: Sun Belt (10 teams)
Tier 8: Independents (6 teams)

Unlike the last relegation dynasty, I simmed ahead 5 years to gage where each team would fit in the system. You can see how I set the tiers in this spreadsheet. I did not keep track of everything in the five-year simulation, so all information in this dynasty is up-to-date in real life prior to the beginning of the 2018 season. Officially, the first year of the dynasty will begin in the 2018 season. To make it more of a challenge, I have decided to choose East Carolina, who is in the bottom tier.

Like I said in the last thread, in this system, to be able to promote, the team that is eligible for promotion has to play the team from the tier above that is eligible for relegation. This gives the team facing a relegation a chance to stay up and it also prevents teams going up and down between two tiers for years on end. In addition, for the Independents, since there is no way to regulate what teams they play, I took temaat89's system to be able to determine who gets promotion. However, I changed it a bit so that it would fit my system. A team would gain 5 points if they beat a top-10 ranked team, 4 points if they beat a top-25 ranked team, 3 points if they beat an unranked team in Tier 1 or 2, 2 points if they beat an unranked team in Tier 3, 4 or 5 and 1 point for any other unranked team, that is not an FCS team.

In addition to the relegation aspect of the dynasty, there will be a national title playoff, containing four teams, that has the top-ranked teams in the BCS poll. With this playoff, and the promotion-relegation playoff games, there will not be a lot of bowl games to have, so any bowl game left available will be disregarded and not be counted, statistics-wise.

If you have any questions on how this will work, please let me know as soon as possible.

Backstory

After the announcement that the East Carolina Pirates would be in the bottom tier, the Pirates’ athletic department decided they had some work to do. After just his second year in charge, Scottie Montgomery was fired from the head coaching position. After roughly two months without a head coach, the Pirates' athletic department settled for Brian Hawkins – the offensive coordinator of Elon Phoenix. Born in Wilmington, North Carolina, and a former wide receiver on the Campbell University football team, Hawkins knows the state of North Carolina and its football programs. However, with no coaching experience at the helm of a D1 football program, it doesn't look like it will be an easy ride for Hawkins. We'll have to see if he can live up to the hype given to him by the East Carolina University alumni in...

Last edited by jpfine; 04-07-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
Pro

jpfine's Arena

Table of Contents
Note: Table of Contents will be updated at the end of each season.
Possibly...

Season 1
Spoiler

Last edited by jpfine; 04-21-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
Pro

jpfine's Arena

Dynasty House Rules and Settings

Settings
Video Game: EA Sports' NCAA Football 14
Console: Xbox 360
Difficulty Level: Heisman
Quarter Length: 7 Minutes
Gameplay Speed: Normal
Gameplay Sliders: OS Community Gameplay Sliders

Penalty Sliders: J-Kits' Penalty Sliders

ALL GAMES CONTAINING EAST CAROLINA WILL BE PLAYED AND CONTROLLED BY MYSELF. NO SIMMING ALLOWED.

Strategy
Offensive Playbook: Pro
Defensive Playbook: 4-3

Recruiting Rules
I will not be allowed to recruit at all and I will have the computer recruit for me. I may use the Recruiting tab, to check on how things are going and what is happening, but I may not adjust anything when in the tab.

Edits/Additional Rules
~ Any player that I suspend or kick off the program I (obviously) have to keep on the team. I am not able to play
~ with or adjust these players whatsoever during their sentence. (Offseason, 2018)
~ In Tier 8, the winning team may only be able to play for promotion if they are bowl eligible. (Offseason, 2018)
~ The winner of Tier 8 must be bowl eligible (have six wins or more) in order to be eligible for the pro-rel playoff
~ game. (Offseason, 2018)
~ I must run the ball for the first 10 plays. (Offseason, 2018)
~ I must run the ball on first and second down unless there is 2-minutes left to play in the half. (Offseason, 2018)
~ I may not go for it on 4th down unless I am in my own 35-yard line, down by 21 points or more, or there is 3-
~ minutes left to play in the half. (Offseason, 2018)

Goals/Objectives
~ To get promoted to Tier 1
(This will take a minimum of seven seasons.)
~ To stay in Tier 1 five years straight (This will take a minimum of twelve seasons.)
~ To be ranked number one in the AP Poll for 25 weeks (This will take a minimum of two seasons, once I am ranked first in the nation.)
~ To win the National Championship Playoffs at least three times

Notes:
Notes: ~ Once all are completed, I will stop the dynasty and (most likely) start a new one.
Notes: ~ If I get fired or I am not offered an extension to my contract, the dynasty will finish and I will (again, most likely) start a new one.

Last edited by jpfine; 03-29-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Pro

jpfine's Arena

Career Tracker

Head Coach Brian Hawkins' Career Information at ECU
Career Record at ECU: 7-4
Seasons Coached at ECU: 1
Average Wins per Season at ECU: 7
Average Losses per Season at ECU: 4
Lowest Tier: Tier 8
Highest Tier: Tier 8
Promotions: None
Relegations: None
Most Years in a Tier: 1 year - Tier 8
Most Consectutive Years in a Tier: 1 year - Tier 8 (2018)
Winning Seasons: 0
Longest Winning Streak: 4
Longest Losing Streak: 2
Record vs. Top 25: 0-0
Record vs. Rival, Marshall: 1-0
Record vs. Rival, NC State: 1-0
Record vs. Rival, UCF: 1-0
Record vs. Rivals, Total: 3-0
Pro-Rel Playoff Record: 0-0
Conference (Tier) Titles: 0
National Championships: 0

Coach Hawkins' Greatest Games

Notes: Will be updated as occurs

Yearly Records

Overall Record: 7-4
Conference Record: 14 pts.
Conference Placement:
Preseason National Rank: 122
Final National Rank: N/A
Playoff Outcome:
Schedule:
Spoiler

Notes: 2018 Conference Record in points because Tier 8 uses point system.

Records against Teams
Spoiler

Notes:
Notes: ~ ^ denotes conference play
Notes: ~ * denotes promotion playoff
Notes: ~ Will be updated after each game

Last edited by jpfine; 04-21-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
Pro

jpfine's Arena

East Carolina History

Football Team History
The East Carolina Pirates are a college football team that represents East Carolina University. Since its conception in the 1932 season, the Pirates have won seven conference championships and nine bowl games. The Pirates have 20 All-Americans over its history and four players have their jerseys retired. Additionally, numerous Pirates have played in the NFL, including ten current players.

Championships
1953: North State Champions - 8-2
1966: Southern Conference Co-Champions - 4-5-1
1972: SC Champions - 9-2
1973: SC Champions - 9-2
1976: SC Champions - 9-2
2008: Conference USA Champions - 9-5
2009: CUSA Champions - 9-5
Notes:
Notes: ~ Will be updated as dynasty goes on.
Notes: ~ National Title Playoff wins will be included as titles.

Bowl History
Record: 9-11
1952: Lions Bowl - Lost to Clarion, 6-13
1954: Elks Bowl - Lost to Morris Harvey, 0-12
1963: Eastern Bowl - Defeated Northeastern, 27-6
1964: Tangerine Bowl - Defeated UMass, 14-13
1965: Tangerine Bowl - Defeated Maine, 31-0
1978: Independence Bowl - Defeated Louisiana Tech, 35-13
1992: Peach Bowl - Defeated NC State, 37-34
1994: Liberty Bowl - Lost to Illinois, 0-30
1995: Liberty Bowl - Defeated Stanford, 19-13
1999: Mobile Alabama Bowl - Lost to TCU, 14-28
2000: Galleryfurniture.com Bowl - Defeated Texas Tech, 40-27
2001: GMAC Bowl - Lost to Marshall, 61-64 (2OT)
2006: PapaJohns.com Bowl - Lost to South Florida, 7-24
2007: Hawai'i Bowl - Defeated Boise State, 41-38
2008: Liberty Bowl - Lost to Kentucky, 19-25
2009: Liberty Bowl - Lost to Arkansas, 17-20 (OT)
2010: Military Bowl - Lost to Maryland, 20-51
2012: New Orleans Bowl - Lost to UL Lafayette, 34-43
2013: Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl - Defeated Ohio, 37-20
2014: Birmingham Bowl - Lost to Florida, 20-28

Notes:
Notes: ~ Historical Records until 2017.
Notes: ~ Playoff games for promotion/relegation implications will count as bowl games.

Rivalries
Marshall Thundering Herd
After the tragic plane crash that was carrying 70 members of the Marshall football team and 5 flight crew members home after a game against the Pirates, East Carolina and Marshall have embarked on a "friendly" rivalry, of sorts. With the first game in 1967, the two teams played for four years until the tragic crash. Prior to both joining Conference USA, the two teams played irregularly. However, when both teams were in Conference USA, they played annually until East Carolina left the conference for greener pastures in the American Athletic Conference. Since 2013, the Pirates and the Thundering Herd have not played each other

All-Time Record
Pre-dynasty: ECU, 10-5
Dynasty: ECU, 1-0
Total: ECU, 11-5

NC State Wolfpack
Due to the close proximity of the two schools, the size of the schools, and some off-field incidents in the history, the two teams can be considered quality rivals. Although East Carolina is in the background due to the rivalries with Duke, North Carolina, and Wake Forest for NC State, the rivalry between the Pirates and the Wolfpack has been an interesting one. From 1970 to 1987, East Carolina and NC State played annually. However, after fans of the Pirates tore down goal posts and the playing surface at Carter-Finley Stadium in 1987, Jim Valvano terminated the annual scheduling of the two schools.

The teams would not meet again until the 1992 Peach Bowl. Then, in 1996, the two schools met in Charlotte's Bank of America Stadium rather than on either school's home field. In 1997, the North Carolina Legislature proposed a bill demanding that North Carolina and NC State must play East Carolina on an annual basis, which would officially revive the series between East Carolina and NC State. The two teams have played for the "Victory Barrel" since 2007 after the Student Government Associations of both NC State and ECU created the trophy. Since the introduction of the barrel, the series has been 3-3.

All-Time Record
Pre-dynasty: NCST, 16-13
Total: NCST, 16-14

UCF Knights
Beginning in 1991, the rivalry between the Pirates and the Knights recently became more intense. Since 2005, the teams have met 9 times when UCF joined ECU in both teams' former conference, Conference USA. Since 2005, the two teams have been in the same conference, excluding the 2013 season. The teams continued their meeting after the 2013 season as members in the East Division of the American Athletic Conference until the end of the 2017 season.

All-Time Record
Pre-dynasty: ECU, 10-6
Total: ECU, 11-6

Last edited by jpfine; 04-08-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
Pro

jpfine's Arena

East Carolina Hall of Fame
These players have been deemed, by Coach Hawkins, worthy enough to be honored by the East Carolina University Pirates football program.

Retired Numbers
This will be adjusted and updated when I feel necessary.

Players of the Year
This will be adjusted and updated when I feel necessary.

Last edited by jpfine; 03-28-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
Pro

jpfine's Arena

Promotion and Relegation History
2018 Promotion-Relegation Playoffs
DateBowl GamesAwayHomeScoreTier
TBDR+L Carriers(0-0)(0-0)0-0Tier 7
TBDTaxslayer Gator(0-0)(0-0)0-0Tier 3
TBDMeineke Car Care(0-0)(0-0)0-0Tier 6
TBDBridgepoint Holiday(0-0)(0-0)0-0Tier 5
TBDKraft Fight Hunger(0-0)(0-0)0-0Tier 4
TBDBelk(0-0)(0-0)0-0Tier 2
TBDValero Alamo(0-0)(0-0)0-0Tier 2
TBDBuffalo Wild Wings(0-0)TBD0-0Tier 3
TBDChick-fil-A(0-0(0-0)0-0Tier 1
TBDSheraton Hawai'i(0-0)(0-0)0-0Tier 1

Last edited by jpfine; 04-09-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
Pro

jpfine's Arena

History
National Title Playoff History

Heisman Winners

Last edited by jpfine; 03-27-2019 at 07:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »