Home

***The Official Football Manager Thread***

This is a discussion on ***The Official Football Manager Thread*** within the Football Manager forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #9561
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: ***The Official Football Manager Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrankwand
I hope you guys don't mind me if i ask a couple of beginner questions over the time being. I try to figure out the most to myself, but that's just a small chunk of the whole.

First question is for player roles: i see a lot of videos, where in some formations a player does not play in the role that fits him the best. Let's say there is a striker whose best role is to be a defensive striker (all green). But in that certain formation he gets used as a false nine (red). I understand that i don't need the player to have it full green, but i don't understand why it is okay to let the player play in a role that he doesn't like to play or doesn't understand how to play. Would i not create a formation and tactic where everyone tries to play their role that they are best suited for? How much difference does it make? What affect does it have on his performance?
Questions are always welcome, FM is overwhelming and complex, so you're bound to hit some bumps in the road - especially since you're new to the game. Many of us here have played for years and sunk more hours into FM than we'd like to admit, so don't hesitate to ask about anything.

Regarding player roles, I rarely pay attention to what the game believes is their best role. I've seen players do well in roles they shouldn't and others who were poor in a role they should be good at(according to the game).
It's going to come down to how that player and the role fit into your tactic. For me, as long as the player is competent at a given position, he can fill any role(whether he's effective, is another story). If you look at a player's attributes and you have a feeling he'd be good in a certain role, just give it a try. You're still learning the game, don't be afraid to experiment!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #9562
MVP

jesmith29's Arena

OVR: 6

Currently, Steam has 66% off FM18, for the PC.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #9563
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

The biggest difference between this and last season was the EL. This led to more injuries, to the point where I was limping to the finish line.

The same issue is there as last time, I just don't see a path with Ingolstadt to the top. I'm slowly upgrading the facilities, and got a stadium addition approved, but at the end of the day, Ingolstadt is a small market team. I applied to jobs at Gladbach, Inter and Schalke, but got turned down. My guess it is the reputation. I might come back to this save eventually, but I think I'll try something else first.

Last edited by rdnk; 07-07-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #9564
Banned

BunnyHardaway's Arena

OVR: 36
Thumbs down Re: ***The Official Football Manager Thread***

First Premier League season is in the books, and thankfully we finished 13th and are staying up.

-Made another dream run in the FA Cup, this time making it to the semifinal in which I lost to West Ham. I've been getting some insanely lucky FA Cup draws.

-Ben Brereton won the European Golden Boy award and scored 18 league goals. I'd really like to hang onto him but I'm afraid a bigger club is going to take him. His value is up to $30M right now.

-I signed some random 17 year old striker, Mohamed Hamdy, from an Egyptian league side in January and I think he's going to be a monster. He already has 28 senior caps for Egypt with 20 goals, including I think 6 in the Africa Cup of Nations.

-Liverpool got Kasper Dolberg and he is a goal scoring robot. Chelsea won the league by 1 point over United and lost the Champions League final to Atletico. City righted the ship with Ancelotti and snuck into 4th.
Attached Images
File Type: png table.PNG (64.5 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by BunnyHardaway; 07-07-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:14 AM   #9565
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

Finished my first season with Sampdoria in Italy, and things went much better than expected!

We were predicted by the media to finish 12th, so a Europa League spot was a great result! It's a good thing too, because the financial situation at the club is NOT great. The club had fallen on hard times in the last few years (maybe why the job was open!), finishing 14th, 16th, and 16th.

I shook things up a bit when I came in before the season, selling a few players, and buying a couple more. But, my entire midfield is on loan, and are going to have to go back to their parent clubs this summer. I will have to replace those guys, which will be interesting.

This season was pretty fun though, here was my form after the new year:

15 match unbeaten streak! Before that run I was hanging around mid-table, but towards the end of this run, I pushed myself into a Europa League spot, and was able to retain it.

I actually went back through my career and looked to see if I have had a run better than this, and I haven't. My previous best unbeaten run was 10 matches with Platanias last year.

I checked back in on my previous club, because I always like to think that I left the club in a better place than I found it, and they've continued the good work I did there, Platanias once again qualified for the Europa League! Many of the players I brought there were integral to their success, so it will be interesting if I get drawn against them in the EL with Sampdoria!

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2018, 12:43 AM   #9566
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

Also, I love some of the stuff that happens in long term saves. I want to live in this timeline.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 07-08-2018, 01:17 AM   #9567

jvalverde88's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHardaway
-Ben Brereton won the European Golden Boy award and scored 18 league goals. I'd really like to hang onto him but I'm afraid a bigger club is going to take him. His value is up to $30M right now.
*Gets 8 million plus incentives offers*

Quote:
Never let fear determine who you are. Never let where you came from determine where you are going.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #9568
Pro

cranes74us's Arena

OVR: 3

Current height of my Porto team.

4 - 3 - 3 Wide

5'11 - RB (bench)
5'9 - CM
5'9 - CM
5'9 - CM
5'8 - AMR
5'7 - AML (bench)
5'11 - S
5'5 - CM (bench)
5'9 - AML
5'8 - RB

I just noticed this after playing with them almost half a year lol . I think this is one of my smallest team in my FM career .

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager »