Home

***The Official Football Manager Thread***

This is a discussion on ***The Official Football Manager Thread*** within the Football Manager forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #6049
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: ***The Official Football Manager Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua1207
Do you guys have any recommendations on how to counter against high pace teams? My team is awful pace-wise, we rank dead last in the premier league and even when I put 2 CDMs out there and drop back, they're still attacking like crazy and running me over.

On that note, are other people still seeing like 30 shots per game? My team is only getting around 8-14, but the other team almost always gets 30+.
One thing to do is make sure you don't press. If pace is an issue they will kill you with through balls, so I would try standing off the attackers more and pack the area around the box. Don't leave them any space behind your defenders to operate.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #6050
MVP

Joshua1207's Arena

OVR: 12

Kind of a disappointing season

Old 11-10-2014, 11:18 PM   #6051
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perceptor
So I'm going Nottingham Forest for my long term save I was able to sign Ante Coric who looks like a good prospect and Gino Peruzzi to assist. Just getting through pre-season.

So how are you all utilizing the scouting? I'm trying to figure that piece out
It appears you need to scout a player for 3 months to fully uncover his potential ability, so I figure out my areas of need in March and send out my scouts so that by June I will have my scouted done and dusted and can start negotiations for players.

As for my save, 94th minutes had passed against Liverpool, with the match tied 1-1. It was the final match of the season, and I was level with Chelsea on points, but ahead of them on goal differential. Chelsea was also tied 1-1, so I was seconds away from winning the league. And anxious for the ref to blow the whistle, since he had only said he was adding +3. I mean, what the hell, ref? Calum Chambers had the ball in my own end, with nobody near him. Not a Liverpool player in sight. He decided to turn and backpass the ball to Szczesny. "Alright," I thought. "This is it. Szczesny can just boot the ball downfield, the whistle will blow, and I will win the league." Except SZCZ was standing near the front right corner of the box, and the backpass was fizzed straight towards the left goalpost, with way too much pace. SZCZ turned and raced towards the ball, but he couldn't get there in time. "He's put it into his own net!" the FM commentary exclaimed, and I lost the league on a Calum Chambers 94th minute own goal.

GUT PUNCH.

I still have the FA Cup final vs. Liverpool, and a win would salvage things a bit, but I'm still royally gutted. Chambers mistake may be the dumbest error I have ever seen a player commit in FM, and it is certainly the most costly. I should have won the league. But instead of celebrating a league victory, I just sat there in stunned, shocked silence, staring at my computer monitor. Had there been a hammer within arms reach, I might now be shopping for a new laptop as opposed to typing this post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #6052

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24

Love it when I tweak/test a tactic and get results (4-0 win) like this.

I got beat by Rangers 4-1 earlier (gave up 2 penalties and a long shot, had 60% possession that match) but I'm not too disheartened... I don't have anyone that can play either WB slot and my tactic utilizes WBs.

Next match this **** happens. I need to figure out defending set pieces, I gave up 2 easy goals on corners for a 2-2 draw.

Last edited by ubernoob; 11-11-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:05 AM   #6053
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnomar05
It appears you need to scout a player for 3 months to fully uncover his potential ability, so I figure out my areas of need in March and send out my scouts so that by June I will have my scouted done and dusted and can start negotiations for players.

As for my save, 94th minutes had passed against Liverpool, with the match tied 1-1. It was the final match of the season, and I was level with Chelsea on points, but ahead of them on goal differential. Chelsea was also tied 1-1, so I was seconds away from winning the league. And anxious for the ref to blow the whistle, since he had only said he was adding +3. I mean, what the hell, ref? Calum Chambers had the ball in my own end, with nobody near him. Not a Liverpool player in sight. He decided to turn and backpass the ball to Szczesny. "Alright," I thought. "This is it. Szczesny can just boot the ball downfield, the whistle will blow, and I will win the league." Except SZCZ was standing near the front right corner of the box, and the backpass was fizzed straight towards the left goalpost, with way too much pace. SZCZ turned and raced towards the ball, but he couldn't get there in time. "He's put it into his own net!" the FM commentary exclaimed, and I lost the league on a Calum Chambers 94th minute own goal.

GUT PUNCH.

I still have the FA Cup final vs. Liverpool, and a win would salvage things a bit, but I'm still royally gutted. Chambers mistake may be the dumbest error I have ever seen a player commit in FM, and it is certainly the most costly. I should have won the league. But instead of celebrating a league victory, I just sat there in stunned, shocked silence, staring at my computer monitor. Had there been a hammer within arms reach, I might now be shopping for a new laptop as opposed to typing this post.

That's what you get for tapping up Sterling.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:16 AM   #6054
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim

That's what you get for tapping up Sterling.
I hope you get relegated.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:43 AM   #6055
MVP

Well, I won manager of the year, and then won the FA Cup by beating Sterling's former club 6-0. The Cup at least salvages what was a disastrous end to the league campaign, but I'm still royally pissed at Calum Chambers. In the run-up to the match Rodgers told the media how thrilled he was at the momentous achievement of qualifying for the Europa League. I was then asked to comment on this "achievement" of a 6th place finish, so I said Rodgers was overrated and would see the plaudits coming his way end after we beat his *** in the FA Cup. Mission accomplished.

In other save news, Pep was fired from Bayern Munich, and every manager and their mother declared interest. I was listed as one of the favorites to get the job, was offered an interview, and then was offered the job, but I still have plenty of unfinished business at Arsenal (I'm coming for you, Chelsea!).

I scored 108 goals during the season but gave up 60, so my biggest problem was defense. Part of that was down to my B Team. Debuchy got hurt for so long that his ratings downgraded to 1 and 1/2 stars, so I need a new right back to backup Chambers (assuming I don't kill Chambers). I also need two MCs to replace Rosicky and Arteta, both of whom I plan to sell alongside Debuchy. Aside from that I'm in good shape, and since I aim to make the above replacements using relatively cheap prospects, I should have enough money left over to splurge on a superstar. I just need to figure out which position. One issue I'm having is that I'm not finding many great right backs, and those with great talent cost a fortune, so hopefully my scouts will uncover someone.
Attached Images
File Type: png Arsenal v Liverpool_ Pitch Split-2.png (217.5 KB, 92 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #6056
MVP

Perceptor's Arena

OVR: 18

Loving my Forest save so far My signings of Coric, Peruzzi, Tagliafico, and Herolind Shala (60k!!!) have paid off. I signed Tomas Kuszszak on a free as well to give my goalkeeping experience. A lot of dead wood to chop, but I'm targeting Tielemans, Leali, Romero in the next couple of windows.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager »