Home

ProStroke Golf: World Tour Announcement and Screenshots

This is a discussion on ProStroke Golf: World Tour Announcement and Screenshots within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: ProStroke Golf: World Tour Announcement and Screenshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
It's looking more and more like the PS3's Move update for Tiger Woods 11 will not include True View support. I figured they would have shown it in action or at least announced it at E3 were that to be the case. I'm a bit more stoked for ProStroke Golf as a result, in hopes that it will help fill the void in the hi-def, motion controller, golfer's eye perspective video game department. TW 11 on the 360 is currently getting the job done in the hi-def, hand held gamepad, third-person perspective department in my world...
I think you might be jumping the gun a bit about Trueview's exclusion. They still have 3 months (maybe alot more because it's not set in stone that the patch for the Move in TW will come as soon as the wand is available in Sept, we may have to wait until Xmas to have the patch available) to get evrything ready and may be the bugs haven't been worked out enough right now to show it at E3.

To be honest I played the Wii version at a friend's place the other day and I'm not a big fan of trueview with motion controls. I prefer the standard camera angle.

Swinging irons and driver was fine because it's usually a full swing and I'm always looking down when I swing so it doesn't really matter what's on screen but for putting it felt weird and unnatural. In real life my eye is always shifting from my feet to the hole and you really can't do that with true view, it's too unwieldy and hard to judge speed when you can't see the hole in front of you as you swing the putter. I found putting more comfortable just using the standard view because my eye shifts from the TV to see my backswing down to the golfball on the carpet as I go forward.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #34
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
I think you might be jumping the gun a bit about Trueview's exclusion. They still have 3 months (maybe alot more because it's not set in stone that the patch for the Move in TW will come as soon as the wand is available in Sept, we may have to wait until Xmas to have the patch available) to get evrything ready and may be the bugs haven't been worked out enough right now to show it at E3.
I'm hoping that's the case. I just figured they might at least announced something about True View, or at least had it as a footnote in the press materials for the show. I have the luxury of being able to wait because ProStoke won't be out until the Move update is much closer.

Quote:
To be honest I played the Wii version at a friend's place the other day and I'm not a big fan of trueview with motion controls. I prefer the standard camera angle.
That may prove to be the case with me as well, I really won't know until I try it. Did you try it with vertical True View as opposed to the default "horizontal True View"? I've read on the EA Wii forum that many who are trying the vertical True View prefer it to horizontal. From what I saw of the video that NoChin put up there, I can see where the vertical True View makes a lot more intuitive sense. This is what troubles me about what I've seen in JD's Prostroke Golf so far, it's only shown a horizontal, golfer's eye view of the stroke.

Quote:
Swinging irons and driver was fine because it's usually a full swing and I'm always looking down when I swing so it doesn't really matter what's on screen but for putting it felt weird and unnatural. In real life my eye is always shifting from my feet to the hole and you really can't do that with true view, it's too unwieldy and hard to judge speed when you can't see the hole in front of you as you swing the putter. I found putting more comfortable just using the standard view because my eye shifts from the TV to see my backswing down to the golfball on the carpet as I go forward.
I found that in the 45 minutes of play time I had with the Wii version of Tiger Woods 10, I looked down at an imaginary ball on the carpet when I was executing all shots in the Wii version, once I'd lined the shot up. I did fine with it and I'd imagine that's the way I'd play TW 11 with a motion controller.

What intrigues me about the way True View handles the perspective is there's a sort of panning of the golfer's eye's as the view transitions from the head-down address view to the "follow the ball" view. That will probably be the first thing I'll see in whatever version I wind up with, and even then, I'll be cheating to get an early look, versus what I do in real life.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
My understanding is that the PS3 version will be getting a patch that enables Move functionality pretty much the day the peripheral ships. However, that is today, who knows when it will ship for sure, but I know EA is working hard on making sure the Move is properly supported.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
That may prove to be the case with me as well, I really won't know until I try it. Did you try it with vertical True View as opposed to the default "horizontal True View"? I've read on the EA Wii forum that many who are trying the vertical True View prefer it to horizontal. From what I saw of the video that NoChin put up there, I can see where the vertical True View makes a lot more intuitive sense. This is what troubles me about what I've seen in JD's Prostroke Golf so far, it's only shown a horizontal, golfer's eye view of the stroke.
I only played a couple of hours with it, just enough to know at the highest skill level, tour pro or advanced +, there is no way I'll be shooting anything close to par so career mode will just be an exercise in frustration. As a golf simulator it's excellent and I guess to play with buddies but the frustration of shanking shots could take the luster off that unless your buddies show alot more patience playing this than they do on a real course.

To be honest unless tour pro swing somehow improves my real golf game then shooting in the 90's on a hard course like Bethpage will probably get old fast. Don't need the frustration playing a video game like I get on a real course. It's that hard and I'm a pretty good golfer with a 12 handicap but those are on local courses. You can add 10-15 strokes playing on a world class course with difficult pin placements even from the white tees, forget the black tees. Probably just end up using advanced mode to play career and online which is rewarding for me. It's great though that they give you the "pull your hair out" skill level when you are in the mood to be a glutton for punishment.

I'm not sure which one was horizontal and which was the vertical view. I played whatever he had it set on. Didn't know there was 2 views. I used the one where you're putting in 1st person view as if you were looking down at your feet. I guess you could get used to the putting if you play long enough but I couldn't get a comfort level where I felt confident about my speed like I did last year.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #37
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
I only played a couple of hours with it, just enough to know at the highest skill level, tour pro or advanced +, there is no way I'll be shooting anything close to par so career mode will just be an exercise in frustration. As a golf simulator it's excellent and I guess to play with buddies but the frustration of shanking shots could take the luster off that unless your buddies show alot more patience playing this than they do on a real course.
I played TW 10 on the Wii in Advanced, for my 45 minute trial. It took me about 15 minutes to get the hang of it, but once I did, I got the idea that I'd be shooting in the low 60's, or better with ease. I don't know what would work best for me in TW 11, but I have a hunch that it would be Tour Pro. I want a level of difficulty that makes me feel gratified to break par.

Quote:
I'm not sure which one was horizontal and which was the vertical view.
With Horizontal True View, the swing meter is horizontal on the screen and your body directly faces the screen as you swing the WiiMote in parallel to the screen. From watching the videos, I get the impression that I've just shanked the ball 90 degrees because the ball winds up heading into the depth of the HDTV screen, while I've just performed a physical act that was 90 degrees out of phase with that.

Vertical True View has the swing meter vertically oriented on the screen, and you point your left hip at the screen (if you're a right handed golfer). You swing the WiiMote directly toward the screen rather than parallel to it. When the ball leaves, it travels in the same direction as your swingpath. It makes a lot more intuitive sense to me to do it this way, although once you get your feel down, I don't guess it would matter which way you're facing, if you're not going to look up until after impact anyway.

Quote:
I guess you could get used to the putting if you play long enough but I couldn't get a comfort level where I felt confident about my speed like I did last year.
I grasped the putting very easily with TW 10 on the Wii, even in my short time with it. I would hope that it is more difficult this year... I'm sure it would be in Tour Pro. Heck, I may wind up buying a Wii and the Wii version of TW 11 yet, particularly if TW 11 PS3 doesn't get True View support and ProStroke doesn't deliver in both the control feel and dynamic presentation department.

Another thing that really impresses me about the Wii version of TW 11 is how much better the ball impact sound effects are, both for metal woods and irons. They don't have the compressed dynamic range that the 360 version has in this area... vastly more atmospheric in this department!
Old 06-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #38
Banned

[quote=OnlookerDelay;2041203541]I played TW 10 on the Wii in Advanced, for my 45 minute trial. It took me about 15 minutes to get the hang of it, but once I did, I got the idea that I'd be shooting in the low 60's, or better with ease. I don't know what would work best for me in TW 11, but I have a hunch that it would be Tour Pro. I want a level of difficulty that makes me feel gratified to break par.

I grasped the putting very easily with TW 10 on the Wii, even in my short time with it. I would hope that it is more difficult this year... I'm sure it would be in Tour Pro. Heck, I may wind up buying a Wii and the Wii version of TW 11 yet, particularly if TW 11 PS3 doesn't get True View support and ProStroke doesn't deliver in both the control feel and dynamic presentation department.[quote]

You're comparing 2 different animals with TW 10 and 11. I had no problem breaking par in advanced in 10 but I'm talking about an insane upgrade in difficulty on tourpro for 11. This isn't something that you will all of a sudden get comfortable with practice unless the same thing occurs in real life. Bad habits on a golf course are well represented in the game. I'm pretty confident in saying that unless you're a scratch golfer who has a textbook swing with your wrist rotations you won't be coming close to breaking par on the hardest difficulty in 11 unless you find some glitch where you can swing with one arm perfectly.

Putting wasn't difficult because of touch per se, more that it didn't feel natural because I couldn't get a comfortrable back and forth view of my feet and the hole. You will have to try it to know what I'm talking about. It could be just mebut it's a totally different dynamic from 10 to 11.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #39
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Pretty decent trailer of John Daly's Prostroke Golf here in hi-def:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=348JV...eature=related

I think it's looking okay...
Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #40
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40

Cant wait till release

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »