Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #233
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Designer

HANDSWARD_EA's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
I hopefully will still be able to enjoy the game, but I'll be stuck on tour pro, which is more than a little disappointing.
What's wrong with Tour Pro and why are you disappointed that you have to play it?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #234
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDSWARD_EA
What's wrong with Tour Pro and why are you disappointed that you have to play it?
Well look who it is! It's HANDS!!!

1. NHL 14
2. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 Sim Mode
3. ESPN NFL 2K5 w/ Gills 2013 roster update
3. NBA 2K11 w/ mkharsh's 2012-13 rosters
5. Winning Eleven 6 FE patched **2012 transfer window*** update....kick @SS
Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #235
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
It sounds like some people are upset about how hard and unrealistic sim mode is? What am i missing here? If you don't like it then don't play it that way or customize it in a way where you do like it. The devs have given us long overdue choices and some are upset that the sim gamers have been finally placated. It's not like sim gamers are demanding that amateur and pro levels should be discontinued.

No prior TW game has given us so many choices in how to play and to make it as hard or simple as we want it and they should be applauded for it because its long overdue. And people are upset about this? I don't get it. If you think some options like no zoom or fading strike meter are stupid then don't use them. The game is not forcing you to play that way because it's full of customizable options. I would like yardage books as well but we didn't get it so its not the end of the world. I would rather the game err on the side of being too hard than being too easy BECAUSE you can modify it to make it easier.

And yeah there are some things left out or things put in that don't represent real golf but guess what, it's a video game. No matter how much you want a sports game to 100% represent the real sport, it ain't gonna happen. Sometimes you have to institute things to make the game artificially harder because you have certain parameters when dealing with a video game.
Sure, sure - it's a video game. I get that, man have I gotten that - after all, Madden and NCAA are video games too. Why is it that NFL2k or NBA2k do not omit stuff from their games? These are simple things too. Omitting a yardage book/numbers are like removing the goal posts from an endzone - what was the thinking here though? Seriously. Devs have been claimed as some being scratch golfers - okay...great...how did you get to scratch? I bet it wasn't playing blind golf - and I damn well bet it wasn't by scouting out each hole on each course you've played to get to scratch.

You're right though - it's a video game. It's also a video gaming company - that calls themselves EA Sports company - emphasis on the "sports" right? - Decisions that are made just make no sense - but in the grand scale of things - they are not a make or break decision. They are just "funny" and kind of obvious necessities that showcase the game of golf, and the true guts to get to scratch or better. Removing a tool like a green yardage feels like a cruel joke, lol.

With that said - would it be too much of representation to the game of golf if they were to put a white post to indicate the 150-yard marker? Just saying...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #236
Pro

globalbeats7's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
I'm not sure what "other games" you are referring to, but everyone at TW community day was 25+ years old with two 50+ year olds (me being one of them). So "the kids" aren't dictating what direction Tiger is going. The folks at this event are all Golf purists and EA listened to all of the feedback in the forums. Sorry you aren't liking the demo...
divot, you are a great addition to the golf gaming community but, at times, drink the EA TW koolaid. Some folks bring up pretty good complaints, yet you are always sticking up for the developers. yes this is just a demo and it will be fine tuned before launch but there are issues this year that have plagued the franchise since day 1. And frankly, it does point back to the developers. the problem I have is that the core aspects of golf should be relatively easy to replicate. Too much time and effort over the years have gone into sugar coating the game while the core is left out. couple examples of the "core":

1. sounds - the ball coming off your driver, iron, wedges, putter have never been ideal. they have improved over the years but its not there yet.

2. club head - always too big and goofy looking. very cartoonish.

3. putting - putting strokes within 2 or 3 feet is off, always has been. the game has an unrealistic follow through with their close putts. tap-ins are just that, tap-ins. its not a major issue but its part of the core that can or should be easily fixed.

4. trees - balls never bounce of trees, just stop dead. not sure how hard the technological aspect of it is but could we maybe get 6-8 different ricochets? I am not asking for the physics to be exact, just add a little diversity beyond what we have had since day 1 of the franchise on previous generation consoles.

5. bunkers - sand is not super glue. balls dont magically stop once they reach a trap. depending on ball flight, balls can do many things in bunkers.....roll around, hit a lip, roll out of the trap, whatever.

6. cameras - this isnt technically what I would consider, "core", but because its a video game...cameras are very important. the fact that we have been stuck on follow cam and presentation cam for years is absurd. yes, true-aim was added and although it was hit or miss...at least it gave us more options. but the fact remains, there is not enough! the new presentation cam is fine to make the game look more TV-like but it does take way from feeling like you are on the course. it is counter-intuitive in my opinion. but I am ok with it... they at least tried to immerse us more into the sport, so I cant complete fault them. one day in the next generation of consoles, they might give us the ability to customize camera angles for pre shot, shot, post shot, and ball flight. winner!

There is more, I just dont feel the need to keep going. I just wanted to explain how improving the SIMPLE things or the "core" would go a long way. i do applaud them for the sim difficulty this year...its not ideal I must say, there are some things they need to touch-up next year but then that has me thinking...will they touch it up next year or will it be left as is for the next 5 years until they finally figure something else out? i dont know. I question this because the franchise has always left me, and others, with alot of questions as a result of some dumbfounded moves from year to year.

game is still loads of fun, and im probably getting it because of the sim difficulty. but im also ready to move on to the next generation consoles and hope the issues with the franchise can be addressed then.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #237
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
It sounds like some people are upset about how hard and unrealistic sim mode is? What am i missing here? If you don't like it then don't play it that way or customize it in a way where you do like it. The devs have given us long overdue choices and some are upset that the sim gamers have been finally placated. It's not like sim gamers are demanding that amateur and pro levels should be discontinued.

No prior TW game has given us so many choices in how to play and to make it as hard or simple as we want it and they should be applauded for it because its long overdue. And people are upset about this? I don't get it. If you think some options like no zoom or fading strike meter are stupid then don't use them. The game is not forcing you to play that way because it's full of customizable options. I would like yardage books as well but we didn't get it so its not the end of the world. I would rather the game err on the side of being too hard than being too easy BECAUSE you can modify it to make it easier.

And yeah there are some things left out or things put in that don't represent real golf but guess what, it's a video game. No matter how much you want a sports game to 100% represent the real sport, it ain't gonna happen. Sometimes you have to institute things to make the game artificially harder because you have certain parameters when dealing with a video game.
I agree that there are options and if one doesn't work for someone personally they can try another one. With that said, there are obvious issues with the game and without forums and the devs looking at them then those issues would never get attention. If everyone just said "yep, its perfect" then the devs are left up to doing whatever it is they think the gamers want.

With that said, there is definitely a wrong way to approach it and a right (respectable) way to voice concerns. Divot does seem to come to the defense of devs pretty quickly but I would imagine most would if you had a chance to see how hard the devs work to make these games. I would also imagine that once you meet these devs, and get to know them on a somewhat personal level, you stick up for them like you would a friend. The fact of the matter is the devs are not GODS and can only do so much. They can also only appease some people some of the time, but never all the people all the time.

Divot has mentioned time and again that if you want the dev's ear then go to the official forum. Operation Sports has been tremendous for some game developers (i.e. The Show) to see what the fan wants. For Tiger Woods golf, there just isn't a ton of people the post here. So the best thing to do is to go to the official forums and "respectfully" voice your concerns. Anybody that just says "the devs are lazy" or some fashion of that, are ignorant and should just be ignored. The video game industry is a billion dollar industry and major corporations like EA/Sony/2K don't hire lazy developers. Maybe some have more talent than others, but they aren't lazy. If they were they wouldn't be working. The other thing to keep in mind is that the developers do not have total control of how a game is made. So don't beat the working man/woman down for doing his/her job.

BTW...a perfect example of how to respectfully get the developer's ear is exactly what OnlookerDelay has done on page 23. Obviously a mature person that understands the hard work that goes into a making a video game.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #238
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg04
Hate to break it to you, but the people at TW community day doesn't make up the entire player base. That shouldn't be a shock.

Can I ask a question? Why do you feel the need to rebuttal anyone who has a negative/differing opinion of the demo or simulation mode? No offense, but you are not the be all end all of TW '14 players' voice.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Gee, really? I hadn't thought of that....C'mon....I have been involved with the TW community for over 16 years and I have had a relationship with the Tiger Devs for 12 of those. I know that the TWCD does not make up the entire player base. However, EA does get their information from numerous sources, most of which are not just "kids" as the demographic for this game is much older than that of other sports games such as Madden. That was what I was responding to.

To your last point, when I see someone make a statement about Tiger, the Dev Team, or other Tiger-related topics that I know there is more to than what is being stated by that user, then yes I will respond because I know quite a bit about both sides of the Tiger franchise....the user side and the Dev side. Would you prefer that user comments that aren't factual not be responded to in order to maybe clear up confusion or misinformation? I am also entitled to my opinion as you and everyone else is. I welcome all feedback on Tiger, good and bad. If someone has negative feedback, I try to understand where they are coming from and try to respond to help them better understand what they are negative about. If you feel I am wrong for doing so, then please tell me what this forum is for? At the end of the day, I am sorry you view me this way, but I spend my time here because I see a very enthusiastic Golf community here and I am here to support it in any manner I can regardless of the type of feedback.

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #239
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
Not to keep harping on it, but you specifically mentioned how people were putting up crazy scores, and how one of the goals of the devs is to specifically make the game harder.

I know we're not the majority in the community, but are others specifically asking for a "harder" game?

I don't frequent the official forums, but I see a lot of people echoing the same issues.

I hopefully will still be able to enjoy the game, but I'll be stuck on tour pro, which is more than a little disappointing. We had tons of fun in my CC last year, even if it was just a birdie fest.

You should frequent the EA Tiger forums as there is a ton of really good info posted by the Devs and experienced usaers that I feel can help many of you who have questions.

There were numerous requests for a more simulation-like mode. And the overall response to the demo so far has been the best I have ever seen to a new feature (with the exception of the addition of Augusta) in the 16 years I have been involved with EA Sports Golf and the Tiger franchise. Many of the comments about past Tiger games here in this forum was that EA did not do enough to bring a game that simulation enthusiasts would play. TW14 is a huge step in that direction. Did they nail it perfectly? Too early to tell, but one thing you need to realize is that this Tiger Dev Team has listened to their communities and reacting to the feedback moreso than any Dev Team I have been associated with. There are still things that need to be corrected in the game such as the iron sounds, etc and they understand that and it is on the list of things to be addressed. Compared to the Madden, NHL, FIFA and other EA Dev teams, the Tiger team is pretty small and they really have to prioritize their time and they will be the first to admit there are a number of improvements they want and need to make. They will get there eventually. Hope this helps you understand where I was coming from and I can understand where you were coming from. Never hesitate to shoot me a PM if you have questions as I am here to support the Tiger game and this community who is interested in the game. Heck, I even changed CC's for TW14 coming to play in the Bushwood CC here this year....looking forward to getting to know many of you better this year.

The Golf Club 2
Old 03-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #240
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain
I agree that there are options and if one doesn't work for someone personally they can try another one. With that said, there are obvious issues with the game and without forums and the devs looking at them then those issues would never get attention. If everyone just said "yep, its perfect" then the devs are left up to doing whatever it is they think the gamers want.

With that said, there is definitely a wrong way to approach it and a right (respectable) way to voice concerns. Divot does seem to come to the defense of devs pretty quickly but I would imagine most would if you had a chance to see how hard the devs work to make these games. I would also imagine that once you meet these devs, and get to know them on a somewhat personal level, you stick up for them like you would a friend. The fact of the matter is the devs are not GODS and can only do so much. They can also only appease some people some of the time, but never all the people all the time.

Divot has mentioned time and again that if you want the dev's ear then go to the official forum. Operation Sports has been tremendous for some game developers (i.e. The Show) to see what the fan wants. For Tiger Woods golf, there just isn't a ton of people the post here. So the best thing to do is to go to the official forums and "respectfully" voice your concerns. Anybody that just says "the devs are lazy" or some fashion of that, are ignorant and should just be ignored. The video game industry is a billion dollar industry and major corporations like EA/Sony/2K don't hire lazy developers. Maybe some have more talent than others, but they aren't lazy. If they were they wouldn't be working. The other thing to keep in mind is that the developers do not have total control of how a game is made. So don't beat the working man/woman down for doing his/her job.

BTW...a perfect example of how to respectfully get the developer's ear is exactly what OnlookerDelay has done on page 23. Obviously a mature person that understands the hard work that goes into a making a video game.

Just my 2 cents.
Well stated. And if I come off as too defensive wrt the Devs, that is not my intention. I do enjoy a great relationship with them and they have become friends, but none of you get a chance to see the other side of the relationship when I get to report problems with the game and then how to go about fixing those issues. HANDSWARD will tell you that myself and the other TW Mods/Game Changers are their toughest critics when it comes to the game and the direction it is going. Some of you may not believe that, but it is a fact. At the end of the day, I am not here to pat the Devs on the back, but if I see a post that criticizes them unfairly or decisions about the game direction, etc unfairly, then I think it only fair to offer another side of the story that could dispel potential confusion or misinformation. I hope everyone feels that is a fair way to approach this. If not, let me know as I am open to suggestions. Thanks to all of you for your support of the game!

The Golf Club 2

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »